Atlasian Civil Liberties Caucus (ACLC)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 03:40:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Civil Liberties Caucus (ACLC)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Atlasian Civil Liberties Caucus (ACLC)  (Read 14826 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2005, 05:56:52 PM by Q »

Introduction
The ACLC welcomes any and all new members.  To become a member, just post your intentions in this thread, and we'll keep you updated on our progress and on how you can get involved.

See the ACLC Wiki page for more information.

Current members are:
Akno21
Alcon
Bono
Max Power
Emsworth
Everett
Frodo
Goldwater
Harry
Ian
Josh22
KEmperor
Lewis Trondheim
LiberalPA
Ebowed
Cosmo Kramer
Q
Sam Spade
Skybridge
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 09:24:16 PM »

I'm currently working with ACLU founder Bono to get this group going again as a caucus.  It's still in a development stage, and we're currently drafting bylaws for the approval of the membership, but new members are welcome.

To become a member, just post in this thread, and we'll keep you updated on our progress.

Current members are:
Akno21 (I-Maryland)
Bono (I-South Carolina)
Emsworth (ILP-Nevada)
Goldwater (CUP-Oregon)
Harry (FLP-Mississippi)
Josh22 (SAP-North Carolina
KEmperor (CUP-New York)
Lewis Trondheim (FLP-Hawaii)
LiberalPA (ILP-Pennsylvania)
Cosmo Kramer (SAP-Arkansas)
Ebowed (FLP-South Carolina)
Q (CUP-Georgia)

Harry is in the SAP party
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 09:32:25 PM »

I'm currently working with ACLU founder Bono to get this group going again as a caucus.  It's still in a development stage, and we're currently drafting bylaws for the approval of the membership, but new members are welcome.

To become a member, just post in this thread, and we'll keep you updated on our progress.

Current members are:
Akno21 (I-Maryland)
Bono (I-South Carolina)
Emsworth (ILP-Nevada)
Goldwater (CUP-Oregon)
Harry (FLP-Mississippi)
Josh22 (SAP-North Carolina
KEmperor (CUP-New York)
Lewis Trondheim (FLP-Hawaii)
LiberalPA (ILP-Pennsylvania)
Cosmo Kramer (SAP-Arkansas)
Ebowed (FLP-South Carolina)
Q (CUP-Georgia)

Harry is in the SAP party

Yeah, Harry's a sap.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 10:29:43 PM »

I'll join this.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 02:45:45 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2005, 10:49:17 PM by Q »

To all Caucus members and potential members:

Below is a proposal for our Bylaws, and I'd like to open it up for suggestions for changes and additions.

Barring major problems, pursuant to those Bylaws, forty-eight hours from tonight (or beginning at 11:59 PM Eastern on Tuesday (June 28), I will open a thread in the Voting Booth for voting on whether or not to adopt these Bylaws.  Voting will end forty-eight hours later, at 11:59 PM Eastern on Thursday (June 30).  I’ll send all members (including any new members who join in the next two days) another PM to remind you of that vote.  Eligible voters will be all members as of 11:59 PM Eastern this Tuesday.

On another note, members may submit their names for nominations for Regional Chairs, of which there will be 5.  As the Bylaws currently stand, you need not necessarily be registered in a particular region to run for Regional Chair there.

ACLC Bylaws (Proposed)

I. Membership
A. Any Atlasian may join the Caucus, subject to approval of a majority of the caucus.
B. Membership may be petitioned by announcing one’s intentions to join.
C. Any current member may ask the Vice-Chairman/Secretary to hold a vote on the prospective member’s petition for membership.  If no member requests a vote, the prospective member becomes a member.  If the vote is held, a simple majority vote of voting members is required for the member to attain membership.
D. The Caucus may expel any member if the members believe that member’s actions to be antithetical to the well-being of the Caucus.  A recall petition must have the signatures of three Caucus members in order to be brought before the electorate in an immediate vote. The vote may begin within forty-eight hours of receiving the required number of signatures.  The member shall be expelled with a two-thirds majority vote of voting members in good standing.
E. A member in good standing shall refer to a member against whom three or more signatures for expulsion have not been gathered.

II. Leadership
A. Eligibility
1. Any Caucus member may run for any Caucus leadership position.
2. A member may run for as many positions as he or she desires and may hold multiple positions simultaneously.
3. A candidate for Regional Chair is not required to be registered in the region whose Chairmanship he or she is seeking.
B. Positions
1. Chair
a. Responsibilities shall include general responsibility for the well-being of the Caucus; acting in the role of any other Caucus leader if he or she is unable or unwilling to carry out the responsibilities of office; organize Caucus conventions; gavel open and to a close all conventions; and act as the primary spokesperson for the Caucus.
2. Vice-Chair/Secretary
a. Responsibilities shall include conducting Caucus elections and other votes, including establishing, opening, and closing voting booths and providing sufficient notice to Caucus members of these votes.
3. Policy Chair
a. Responsibilities shall include maintaining and updating the Platform and Bylaws to reflect changes mandated by votes on member-suggested changes as well as serving as an intra-caucus leader on policy issues.
4. Regional Chairs
a. Responsibilities shall include acting as an agent of the Caucus in his particular Region, with responsibilities twofold.  First, managing Caucus outreach in a given region by welcoming and keeping in contact with members from that region, promoting their participation in the Caucus and organizing the members registered in that region, and recruiting new members from that region whose ideology is compatible with the mission of the ACLC; and second, reporting to the Caucus on the affairs of that region, including making recommendations to the Caucus on endorsements for that region's elected officials (including corresponding District Senator: ME=1, MW=2, NE=3, P=5, SE=4) and ballot initiatives pending in that region.  The Regional Chairs shall serve as liasions between the affairs of region and Caucus, and vice versa.
b. A Regional Chair is not required to be registered in the region of which he or she serves as Regional Chair.

III. Voting
A. All votes on new members, leadership positions, endorsements, platform changes, and other issues as they shall arise shall be taken consensually.
B. The Secretary shall open a vote in the Voting Booth section of the Fantasy Elections board.
C. Votes shall be taken when Caucus matters necessitate, and at the discretion of Caucus leadership.
D. Elections shall be open for forty-eight hours, during which time votes may be cast.
E. Elections shall be announced with sufficient public notice.  If possible, the Secretary shall send a personal message to all members in good standing at least forty-eight hours in advance of any vote in which that member is eligible to vote.
F. The vote of each member in good standing shall have the same weight in determining the vote outcome.  An approval system shall be used to determining the winner of any vote, such that voters may list all candidates or positions of whom/which they approve.  Order shall not matter, and the candidate or position that receives the greatest number of preferences shall be the winner.
G. Voter intent shall be determined at the end of the voting period.
H. Only members registered in a particular region may vote for candidates for Regional Chair of that region.
I. Caucus members may recall any Caucus leadership position.  A recall petition against any position must have the signatures of three members in order to be brought before the electorate in an immediate vote.  The vote may begin within forty-eight hours of receiving the required number of signatures.  The office-holder shall be removed from office with a two-thirds majority vote of voting members in good standing.

IV. Platform
A. Any member in good standing may suggest changes in the bylaws or platform.  A vote of the membership shall be held on these changes.

V. Conventions
A. Shall take place before each Presidential election, in the month of that election.
B. While members are free to propose changes to the Platform and Bylaws throughout the year, and votes will be taken on those proposals,

VI. General Provisions
A. In case of insufficient clarity in the Bylaws in determining the time and procedure of a vote of the membership, or in any other Caucus matter, any or all Caucus leaders shall confer and determine how best to proceed.  Their decision shall be valid even if it may violate a preexisting clause of the Bylaws if they determine the spirit of the Caucus to have dictated this override.

Announced Candidates for Caucus Positions

Chair:
Bono

Secretary:
Q

Policy Chair:
Emsworth

Regional Chairs:

Midwest:
     (no announced candidates)

Northeast:
     LiberalPA

Mideast:
     Akno21

Pacific:
     Goldwater

Southeast:
     Ebowed

These elections will take place concurrently with the referendum on the Bylaws, from Tuesday the 28th at 11:59 PM to Thursday the 30th at 11:59 PM.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 02:50:14 PM »

C.   Any current member may ask the Vice-Chairman/Secretary to hold a vote on the prospective member’s petition for membership.  If no member requests a vote, the prospective member becomes a member.  If the vote is held, a two-thirds majority vote of voting members is required for the member to attain membership.
I would suggest that the required majority be a simple majority, rather than a two-thirds majority. A two-thirds maority should be necessary for expulsion, but it should not, in my opinion, be so difficult to become a member.

Assuming that Bono and Q are running for the positions of Chair and Secretary, I would like to indicate my desire to serve as Policy Chair.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 03:07:17 PM »

C. If the vote is held, a two-thirds majority vote of voting members is required for the member to attain membership.
I would suggest that the required majority be a simple majority, rather than a two-thirds majority. A two-thirds maority should be necessary for expulsion, but it should not, in my opinion, be so difficult to become a member.

Assuming that Bono and Q are running for the positions of Chair and Secretary, I would like to indicate my desire to serve as Policy Chair.

I've made the change, Emsworth, and added your name as a candidate for Policy Chair.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 05:25:43 PM »

I'll run for Southeast Regional Chair.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 05:31:13 PM »

Like with the NRA, I like this group despite not being so fond of the practices (although fond of the base idea) of the real-life counterpart.

I'll join.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 05:32:54 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2005, 12:32:20 PM by Q »

I've got you, Ebowed.

And we won't be just like the real ACLU, I don't think, Alcon.  We'll maintain tact and diplomacy in situations where the real ACLU seems to just go ballistic.  Welcome.

A few ACLC members and potential members have asked exactly what the Region Chairs will do.  I have updated the proposed Bylaws to include a more thorough description of what I envision for their roles.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 05:34:46 PM »

i'll run for Northeast regional chair
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »

I'll run for Mideast chair.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 07:27:24 PM »

I'll run for Pacific Regional Chair.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 09:47:56 PM »

Ebowed is a good Regional Chair.  I have no desire to run against him.  Smiley
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 10:10:33 PM »

Ebowed is a good man. I will not run against  him.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

Ebowed is a good man. I will not run against  him.

He has fire in his bones!
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 12:24:38 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2005, 12:44:59 AM by Southeast Lottery Commissioner Q »

Since the District 1 Senate race between MHS2002 and LiberalPA has gone into a runoff, I move that the ACLC vote on endorsing a candidate in that race.

As a member of the Caucus, I'd like to extend an invitation to each of the candidates to tell us some more about their stances on issues related to civil liberties, and have sent each of them a PM informing them of this opportunity.

I believe I speak for all Caucus members when I say we will make our evaluation based solely on what the candidates have to say on the issues and will not take membership in our group into account when making our decision.

I'll open a voting booth thread after we hear from the two candidates, or when sufficient time has passed.  The election will be held beginning on Friday, so there's not much time.  ACLC members, consider this sufficient notice for a vote, although I will PM you before I open the vote.

Best of luck to the candidates on the campaign trail!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 12:58:57 AM »

Hello everyone. I want to thank you all for taking the time to listen to what i have to say today.

The dictionary describes civil liberties as:
"Fundamental individual rights, such as freedom of speech and religion, protected by law against unwarranted governmental or other interference."

These individual rights are one of the most important parts of any government. A nation can never be great nor its people happy if they have little to no civil liberties. These liberties should be closely watched over by a senator to ensure that these liberties are not taken away.

I will try and keep this relatively brief.

I believe that one of the most important civil liberties is freedom of speech. And while I favor a nation with no censorship, many don't and I understand that. As senator I will work to make sure no new pro-censorship laws are passed, while also fighting anti-censorship laws. There sre many beliefs in District 1, and I want to represent them all to the best of my ability.

Women's rights are also very important to me. I support abortion up until the third trimester. I think that kids shouldn't have to be born into families that won't be able to support them, causing them a life that will be full of suffering and pain.

The rights of the minority is a controversial one. I support making sure racial profiling does not happen, but oppose affirmative action because then we are denying people of jobs due to skin color that way,too.

Freedom of religion. an issues that has decided elections and ended the careers of politicians. I support freedom of religion, but that means for all religions. Muslam, Jewish, Christian, and every other religion should be treated equally. there are many who condemn the christians for the fact that they are very aggressive. i find this to be just as wrong as people not being able to fly in planes because they're Muslam. You have to stick up for every religion.

the right to bear arms. i believe you have the right to bear any weapon that isn't an assault weapon. If you didn't read the ad i made about handguns (and you dont feel like looking back to find it), i think that handguns can be bad, but if you ban them, citizens cant have them for protection, but the criminals will get them illegally anyway. plus banning handguns would stop some physically challenged to ever have the chance to hunt, even if they could only hunt small game. (Note: i am fully aware that a law was passed regarding handguns in every region. just stating an opinion)

Well, today i talked to you about five of the most important civil liberties in Atlasia. And while there are many, many others, i will stop here because i believe that you probably get the gist of my beliefs by now: While i stand on the left on many of these issues, i realize that there are alot of different views in District 1, senator, i want to represent them all. Thank you for your time, and thank you Q for bringing up this important vote.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 01:05:02 AM »

anyone who has any questions, feel free to ask. Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 01:15:34 AM »

Can I join?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 01:17:49 AM »

Of course!  Any Atlasian is welcome to join us here in the ACLC.

Welcome, Casey!
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 06:01:57 PM »

When voting formally begins later tonight, I strongly urge the ACLC to endorse LiberalPA for the Senate race. He is, unlike his opponent, a member of the Caucus. Moreover, I feel that he would be a great help in ensuring that the Senate passes laws that respect and protect civil liberties.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 08:03:57 PM »

Good Evening ACLC Delegates,

I am here to seek the support of your organization for the District 1 run-off between LiberalPA and myself. Now, I realize that my opponent is a member of this caucus and while I am not expecting an endorsement from the ACLC, to be perfectly honest, I owe it to this organization and the people of District 1 so that they may know where I stand on the issue of civil liberties.

Here in Atlasia, we are given many freedoms: freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the freedom to keep and bear arms, to name a few. What makes these freedoms so important are that they protect not only the actions we love, but the actions we hate. These freedoms protect the protestor and the soldier, the atheist and the born-again Christian, the liberal and conservative.

However, these freedoms are never secure and come under attack from all sides of the political spectrum. People attempt to stifle speech and actions they disagree with, and this will not change. To this end, I will work tirelessly in the Senate to preserve and protect the freedoms that this great nation was founded on. The citizens of District 1 and Atlasians as a whole can trust me to preserve and protect their civil liberties.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 08:11:12 PM »

As a member of the ACLC, I support endorcement of MHS.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 09:20:23 PM »

I echo KEmp's sentiments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies