The Three Divides of French Electoral Geography (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:03:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Three Divides of French Electoral Geography (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Three Divides of French Electoral Geography  (Read 3220 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« on: September 01, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »

Very interesting work, thanks.

First observations :
- Map B seems to me like a standard recent FN vote map. Does it differ from such a standard FN vote map somewhere ?
- Map C is more interesting to me. Corsica has its own explanation, for being... you know, Corsica. Other than that two main zones can be spotted : Île-de-France and the borders. Île-de-France abstains the most because of a) immigrants who don't want or don't know how or why to vote, and b) urban way of life with many young people and alternative types. The borders, on the other hand, may be abstaining more than the country as a whole because a number of French people there just work on the other side and their lives are more affected by what's going on on the other side, so they lose interest in French politics. Which would explain why zones such as Genève, Nice, Béarn, Forbach or Maubeuge, widely ranging on the socio-economic spectrum, all tend to abstain more than the country.

I'm not explaining the spot of abstention around North-western Cantal.

I think some parts of map B also correlate with Protestantism, but not all. Causse, Vendée, Deux-Sèvres, Béarn, coastal Calvados, south of Lyon come to mind. Of course, other Protestant regions like the lower Rhone valley and Gard were lost in translation more recently. Bretagne and Paris have other explanations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies