IA/CO/VA-Quinnipiac: Clinton +3/+2 in IA, +10/+8 in CO, +12/+11 in VA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:06:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  IA/CO/VA-Quinnipiac: Clinton +3/+2 in IA, +10/+8 in CO, +12/+11 in VA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA/CO/VA-Quinnipiac: Clinton +3/+2 in IA, +10/+8 in CO, +12/+11 in VA  (Read 6304 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: August 17, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »

Trump is narrowly winning younger voters in Iowa, while Clinton is winning older voters by a slightly larger margin. That's different from almost every other state I've seen, but this is the second poll that has shown this in Iowa.

In Virginia, they are actually tied with folks in military households. That is awful news for Trump in the Hampton Roads area. Virginia Beach could actually flip to Democrats.

Why is this happening in Iowa of all places? Most of Iowa's younger voters are educated/have college degrees. Is it still residual bad feelings from the primary/caucus?

As a college student at Iowa State, I can attest that there is basically no one young there who is all that enthusiastic for Hillary Clinton. Basically every D who isn't a professor caucused for Sanders, even people who don't think of Clinton all that negatively. Rubio had a plurality among R's, with significant pockets of support for Trump, Cruz, and Paul.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »

^^Those are probably old enrollment numbers for Iowa State. It was 36,001 (actual number) as of a year ago.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »

^^Those are probably old enrollment numbers for Iowa State. It was 36,001 (actual number) as of a year ago.

All of those numbers look old by at least a few years. I know UI has been 30k plus the last few years minimum. I think Kirkwood is also higher and spans not only Linn county (main campus), but a sizable Johnson county campus and locations all over the counties surrounding Linn and Johnson.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason why I'm at Iowa State is because the net cost is $5k cheaper than the U of M. Obviously I like the campus and academic programs, people, and etc., but cost was the deciding factor between the two schools. I do know that statistically the number of students from my HS who go to college in Iowa is significant.

Regarding voting, the state does not care if you sign up to vote there for four years or send an absentee ballot to your home state. There are some states that try to shame you into not registering there, but Iowa is not one of them. I personally vote down there since MN is not a swing state. Braley/Branstad in 2014, likely Hillary/Grassley this year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies