In retrospect, which were realigning elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  In retrospect, which were realigning elections?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: In retrospect, which were realigning elections?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 137

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: In retrospect, which were realigning elections?  (Read 6131 times)
EastwoodS

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »
« edited: January 02, 2021, 05:37:24 PM by EastwoodS »

1896, as it establishes the Republican party into a relatively conservative/lassie-faire party we can trace its roots back to from today.
1932- this elections solidies the Democratic party into being the big government party of the working man for the next 80 years. The strength of FDRs victories can still be seen in the EC today.
1952- the first cracks in FDRs reliable Democratic coalition
1968- the beginning of a major Republican relalignment we will see for several decades; fully comes to an end in 2008.
1980- surprisingly, I don't consider this to be a realignment, I consider Reagan's electoral dominace to come from the electoral strength of Nixon and the critical mass of Republican big tent ideologies from the early twentieth century. This election and 1984, in my opinion is the last great "hoorah" of the Republican party, as moderates and liberals (whom were once Republicans) increasingly become disgusted with strict social conservativism and turn to the Democrats for new answers. This election is basically a continuation of the same ol' same old (1896-1992/2004).
1992- This election is a MAJOR relalignment, one of which I think we are still in but one that is also ending. This election rebrands Democrats as the moderate, centrist party and gives them new found strength in states never before acehivable to them. Obama's electoral success is credited to Clinton's foundation in the EC, not his own. Obama did not create any new coalition we haven't already seen...
2016- cracks in Clinton's electoral coalition.
2024/2028- any sign of the strength the Democrats have shown is quickly eroding as each successful election cycle they win their winning EC margin continues a linear decline. As the Democratic party aligns itself with more of a European left wing party such as the UK Labour, expect it to perform as such... As the religious rights becomes smaller, and the nation more secular, expect the Republican party to slowly put them behind new groups they will try to attract with more liberal stances on abortion and gay marriage.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2021, 05:18:58 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2021, 05:22:47 PM by Skill and Chance »

1896, as it establishes the Republican party into a relatively conservative/lassie-faire party we can trace its roots back to from today.
1932- this elections solidies the Democratic party into being the big government party of the working man for the next 80 years. The strength of FDRs victories can still be seen in the EC today.
1968- the beginning of a major Republican relalignment we will see for several decades; fully comes to an end in 2008.
1980- surprisingly, I don't consider this to be a realignment, I consider Reagan's electoral dominace to come from the electoral strength of Nixon and the critical mass of Republican big tent ideologies front the early twentieth century. This election and 1984, in my opinion is the last great "hoorah" of the Republican party, as moderates and liberals (whom were once Republicans) increasingly become disgusted with strict social conservativism and turn to the Democrats for new answers. This election is basically a continuation of the same ol' same old (1896-1992/2004).
1992- This election is a MAJOR relalignment, one of which I think we are still in but one that is also ending. This election rebrands Democrats as the moderate, centrist party and gives them new found strength in states never before acehivable to them. Obama's electoral success is credited to Clinton's foundation in the EC, not his own. Obama did not create any new coalition we haven't already seen...
2024/2028- any sign of the strength the Democrats have shown is quickly eroding as each successful election cycle they win their winning EC margin continues a linear decline. As the Democratic party aligns itself with more of a European left wing party such as the UK Labour, expect it to perform as such... As the religious rights becomes smaller, and the nation more secular, expect the Republican party to slowly put them behind new groups they will try to attract with more liberal stances on abortion and gay marriage.

I'm not really sure the GOP is getting more secular in any meaningful way.  It was reasonable to assume Trump would push the party that way back in 2016, but he didn't really govern that way at all, and the most secular areas of the country swung Dem more than the nation from 2016-20.  I really doubt secular moderates are the future of the GOP.  It's more plausible they break through with religious, relatively socially conservative minority voters who have stuck with the Dems until now. 

Strongly agree with you that the 1980's Republican wins are the tail end of the labor vs. management alignment and Bill Clinton is the dividing line for the modern era. 
EastwoodS

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2021, 05:56:13 PM by EastwoodS »

1980- surprisingly, I don't consider this to be a realignment, I consider Reagan's electoral dominace to come from the electoral strength of Nixon and the critical mass of Republican big tent ideologies front the early twentieth century. This election and 1984, in my opinion is the last great "hoorah" of the Republican party, as moderates and liberals (whom were once Republicans) increasingly become disgusted with strict social conservativism and turn to the Democrats for new answers. This election is basically a continuation of the same ol' same old (1896-1992/2004).

I'm not really sure the GOP is getting more secular in any meaningful way.  It was reasonable to assume Trump would push the party that way back in 2016, but he didn't really govern that way at all, and the most secular areas of the country swung Dem more than the nation from 2016-20.  I really doubt secular moderates are the future of the GOP.  It's more plausible they break through with religious, relatively socially conservative minority voters who have stuck with the Dems until now.  
Possibly, honestly, that's the thing: it's probably foolish to assume anything. However, Trump did drop abortion in 2020 as opposed to 2016, and I almost never heard him mention gay marriage and that really paid off according to exit polls..
However, I will stick to my belief that the last major re-alignment was Clinton's. I maaaybe would have considered Obama's victory to be the Democrats "1968" but that would also mean Biden should have performed like Reagan, Democrats "1980." And they didn't so I consider that to be null and void. This means that the Republican party is only due for their next realignment, I just don't know exactly when. 50% chance it happens in 2024, 80% chance it happens in 2028 ( a new critical mass of voters that may favor the GOP, esp if Democrats barely scrap the EC in 2024), and a 150% chance it happens in 2032.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies