2008, Part I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:01:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008, Part I
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2008, Part I  (Read 7994 times)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:29:47 PM »

I am starting an election story about the 2008 presidential election. Here is the first part, the part about the Democratic Party:
    In January of 2006, the 2008 presidential contest officially began. On the first anniversary of President George W. Bush's inauguration, Democratic Senator Joe Biden of Delaware officially announced that he would run for president, after over a year of speculation that he would do so. This came as no surprise to, well, anybody. He announced his platform would focus on these three issues:

* The troops in Iraq. They have been there for almost three years, and Biden wants them to withdraw gradually.

* Foreign Policy. Biden said that the U.S.A. should focus on improving its relations with its allies. "For the past 5 years, the president has destroyed our image overseas. We must do something immediately," he went on to say.

* Strengthening our military. "The current army is not enough to protect our selves against foreign countries and terrorists," Biden proclaimed, an obvious reference to the recent terrorist attacks on Beirut by Hamas, which killed over 10,000 people. "Hamas will not get a free ticket out of prison, we will not stop at anything to destroy them."

Soon after Biden announced his candidacy, Dennis Kucinich halted his house re-election campaign for unknown reasons. Kucinich had recently been moving further to the left. Many pundits claimed he was preparing to make a last minute run for Ohio's governorship against Jerry Springer. But they were shocked on the 12th of February when the domain name denniskucinich08.com was just registered by his campaign manager. Later that night Dennis Kucinich alerted local news stations that he intended to hold a press conference. Two hours later, at 9:45 P.M. Eastern Time, Kucinich approached the podium.
         "Ladies and Gentlemen of Cleveland,
Throughout my life, I have served you on the city council, as mayor, as representative to the U.S. House, and as your candidate for president in the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination. On every occasion, you have supported me. Now I asked for your support once more, as I make one last run for president,"
He later went on to unveil his platform, which was the same as it was in 2004-
Immediate withdrawal from the WTO and NAFTA.
Moving U.S. troops out of Iraq and replacing them with UN peacekeepers.
Ending the drug war.
Abolishing the death penalty.
Preventing the privatization of social security.
Ratifying the ABM Treaty and the Kyoto Protocol.
Introducing reforms to bring about instant-runoff voting.
Creating a single-payer system of universal health care.
Creating a cabinet-level "Department of Peace"
Legalizing same-sex marriage.
Repealing the USA PATRIOT Act.
Full social security benefits at age 65.

Two weeks later, a poll released by Gallop showed good news for Biden. The question was as follows:
If you had to choose between the current candidates for president, whom would you choose?
Biden- 55%
Kucinich- 40%
Neither- 5%
But the Kucinich camp was able to spin the poll in their favor. "Congressman Kucinich was in the single digits in the majority of polls in 2004. Now, he has improved greatly."
Yet the Biden camp released the following statement:
"This poll shows that a majority of Democrats support a real candidate for real change"

Two months later, a third Democrat entered the race. His name.... Former Senator John Edwards. His entrance was less extravagant. He announced his candidacy at the same place where he announced his last candidacy, his hometown of Robbins, North Carolina. This is his announcement speech, in its entirety:
         "I'd like ta thank ya'll for comin' out here this fine mornin'. I invited you to this picnic 'cause I got an announcement to make. I have consulted with my wife, Elizabeth, and I am gonna run for president again."
He made this announcement in front of his parents, other family, friends, and supporters. He remained optimistic as always, and his campaign released a private poll that showed him ahead of both Biden and Kucinich. A poll released by Gallup in mid-April showed Edwards at 32% Biden at 35%, and Kucinich at 33%. Later that week, Edwards appeared on The O'Reilly Factor

But only a month later, on June 14th (Flag Day), two more candidates announced they were running. The first being Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and the second being Governor Mark Warner. The two made their formal announcements only 5 minutes apart. Warner was first, making this announcement at Vernon, Connecticut, where he grew up -
     "Good Evening,
I am here to announce I am running for the nomination of the Democratic Party for president in 2008. I am doing do to the incompetence of the current administration. I believe we should focus on three things: taxes, deficits, and trade. If we continue to ignore these issues now, the effects could devastate our country in the future."
He continued to explain his stances on these issues. On taxes, he said the rich should pay a higher rate, and the poor should pay a lower amount; he also said we should eliminate the deficit as soon as possible, and that our trade with foreign countries should be restricted to only democratic countries and countries where child labor is illegal...
 Feingold did not get into the specifics of his platform. He simply said he was running, and looked forward to a good race.

Hillary Clinton surprised many by saying that if she won re-election to the senate, she would be "100% certain" that she would run for president. But a poll released in mid-August showed that she was ahead of her rival, Ed Cox, by a margin of only 50-40%, with 10% undecided. Up until Election Day, the race was extremely close. In the end, the results where as follows:

Cox- 3.5 million
Clinton- 3.4 million
McReynolds- .1 million
Cox upset Clinton, which derailed her presidential ambitions. Serious presidential ambitions, that is. Clinton conceded the election. But she also announced that she would run for president on December 30th.

At the beginning of 2007, two more candidates announced they were running. The first one was Senator Evan Bayh, who entered the race on January 20th, exactly a year after Biden; he said that his platform was "An Even deal from Evan the real". The other was Wes Clark, whose platform was almost identical to Biden. By July, the last candidates announced they were running. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts announced that he was running once again with the same platform as he had in 2004. Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana announced he was running a favorite son candidacy, or, in other words, he was running just to win Montana.

MORE TO COME

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:43:04 PM »

incredibly well done. keep it coming Casey. Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 11:43:46 PM »

Finances, as of October, 2007
Biden- $18 million
Edwards- $15 million
Kucinich- $10 million
Clinton- $9 million
Warner- $6.4 million
Bayh- $6.2 million
Kerry- $5 million
Feigold- $5 million
Clark- $4 million
Schweitzer- $500 thousand
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 11:45:53 PM »

incredibly well done. keep it coming Casey. Smiley
Thanks! Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 11:47:33 PM »

Survey USA Released Polls on every state. As of October, 2007:
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 11:48:39 PM »

I could only wish the 2006 NY race turned out like that....

Anyway keep it going!
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 11:56:36 PM »

I could only wish the 2006 NY race turned out like that....

Anyway keep it going!
Thanks! Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 12:02:44 AM »

National Gallup Poll, October 2007 (Democrats only)
Who do you support for the presidential nomination?
Feingold- 18%
Biden- 14%
Kerry- 14%
Warner- 13%
Kucinich- 13%
Edwards- 11%
Cinton- 9%
Bayh- 4%
Clark- 3%
Schweitzer- 1%

Iowa Only (Only five candidates are focusing on Iowa, and they are the only ones on the ballot)
Warner- 24%
Kerry- 22%
Feingold- 18%
Biden- 16%
Edwards- 10%
Undecided- 10%

New Hampshire (All canidadates on ballot except for Schweitzer)
Clinton- 17%
Warner- 16%
Feingold- 13%
Kerry- 11%
Edwards- 10%
Kucinich- 9%
Bayh- 8%
Clark- 5%
Biden- 3%
Undecided- 8%
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »

Keep this in mind... Warner has a net worth of 100 million+.  If worse comes to worse he can bankroll his own primary campaign.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 12:12:55 AM »

VERY nicely done - I love it Smiley
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 12:17:54 AM »

Biden- $18 million
Edwards- $15 million
Kucinich- $10 million
Clinton- $9 million
Warner- $6.4 million
Bayh- $6.2 million
Kerry- $5 million
Feigold- $5 million
Clark- $4 million

Doing a good job, but are these numbers suppose to be realistic?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 12:25:28 AM »

Keep this in mind... Warner has a net worth of 100 million+.  If worse comes to worse he can bankroll his own primary campaign.
Shhhhh!!!
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 12:26:11 AM »

Superdelegates, December 2007- 802 total (In no particular order)
Feingold- 156
Biden- 144
Kerry-135
Edwards- 115
Clinton- 105
Bayh- 40
Warner- 40
Kucinich- 40
Clark- 18
Schweitzer- 9
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 12:27:31 AM »

Biden would be lucky to win Deleware.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 12:30:43 AM »

Biden- $18 million
Edwards- $15 million
Kucinich- $10 million
Clinton- $9 million
Warner- $6.4 million
Bayh- $6.2 million
Kerry- $5 million
Feigold- $5 million
Clark- $4 million

Yes, Biden, Edwards, and Kucinich have been in it the longest, so they are the highest (Kucinich raised over $10 million over the length of his campaign). Kerry takes $2.5 million out of his PAC and raised another $2.5 million. Clinton could easily raise that much. Warner has raised over $10 million, but has also spent a few million. Schweitzer is only running in Montana, so he doesn't need much. Feingold and Clark have spent a lot as well. And thanks! Smiley
Thanks, Ben! Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 12:30:58 AM »

Democrats don't win Putnam county and lose NY.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 12:32:12 AM »

Democrats don't win Putnam county and lose NY.
Fantastic. Stop whining.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 01:24:43 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2005, 01:27:07 AM by Erc »

Nice...but (just to quibble) that map is patently unrealistic for a Republican victory.  That's more like 60-40 Democrat, at best.

EDIT:  Did I agree with Jfern?  Shocked

And people don't run as favorite sons anymore...but, of course, a pre-'80-style primary is much more exciting than our bland affairs now.  So I'll stop complaining.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 01:09:44 PM »

Biden- $18 million
Edwards- $15 million
Kucinich- $10 million
Clinton- $9 million
Warner- $6.4 million
Bayh- $6.2 million
Kerry- $5 million
Feigold- $5 million
Clark- $4 million

Yes, Biden, Edwards, and Kucinich have been in it the longest, so they are the highest (Kucinich raised over $10 million over the length of his campaign). Kerry takes $2.5 million out of his PAC and raised another $2.5 million. Clinton could easily raise that much. Warner has raised over $10 million, but has also spent a few million. Schweitzer is only running in Montana, so he doesn't need much. Feingold and Clark have spent a lot as well. And thanks! Smiley
Thanks, Ben! Smiley

Those are not realisitic at all. To say that Dennis has Clinton, Kerry, Clark, Warner, etc is just laughable. Hilliary will have more money then any other candidate, and I don't know how anyone can despite that. Biden is only announcing this early because he is not a great fundraiser and needs this extra time to see what kind of money he can raise. Gov. Warner like someone else said can bankroll his primary campaign if needed, but he has alot of big money donors lined up so theres no way in hell hes after Dennis.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 04:30:01 PM »

Biden- $18 million
Edwards- $15 million
Kucinich- $10 million
Clinton- $9 million
Warner- $6.4 million
Bayh- $6.2 million
Kerry- $5 million
Feigold- $5 million
Clark- $4 million

Thanks, Ben! Smiley

Those are not realisitic at all. To say that Dennis has Clinton, Kerry, Clark, Warner, etc is just laughable. Hilliary will have more money then any other candidate, and I don't know how anyone can despite that. Biden is only announcing this early because he is not a great fundraiser and needs this extra time to see what kind of money he can raise. Gov. Warner like someone else said can bankroll his primary campaign if needed, but he has alot of big money donors lined up so theres no way in hell hes after Dennis.

If you don't like it you can write your own timeline.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »

If you have Feingold win that primary or election you'll be recieving a nice ticking package in the mail. Wink
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »

If you have Feingold win that primary or election you'll be recieving a nice ticking package in the mail. Wink
I'm still working on it, and nobody's a favorite.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 11:09:39 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2005, 11:37:47 PM by General Casey J. Reese »

After a lot of campaigning over the past few months, the first 'primary' has arrived, but very few candidates paid attention to it. The exception was Dennis Kucinich, who was hoping on winning D.C. to give him some momentum towards Iowa, where he had just qualified for the ballot. He ahead in the polls, but he was still vulnerable. A last minute endorsement by the Washington Post for Wes Clark (who had been ahead in D.C. until the last weeks of 2007) give the Kucinich campaign a blow to the throat. The results:

1. Dennis Kucinich- 19,347 votes- 38%- 15 delegates

2. Wes Clark 18,682 votes- 38%- 15 delegates

3. Mark Warner 6,423 votes - 12%- 5 delegates

4. Joe Biden 3,408 votes - 6%- 2 delegates

5. Russ Feingold 3,126 votes- 6%- 2 delegates

Although this victory is a great benefit for the Kucinich campaign, it shows that Clark has momentum outside of his south and the midwest. Mark Warner was pleased when he heard the news, saying "I've very flattered to be the choice of so many of those who live in the center of American government." This surprised many reporters, as Warner had been very Frank during the campaign. Biden thanked those who supported him, and to show his admiration for D.C. despite coming in fourth, he took the two delegates pledged to him out for lunch.

But the news of the night came from Russ Feingold. Feingold was told about his 2 delegates that he won, and how he came in 5th place. He responded by letting out a racial slur, saying "I thought the ***** vote would come out for me more.". He later said that he meant it as a joke, but most people agreed that he had thought his microphone was off. With the Iowa caucus just a week away, most pundits agreed that there was little chance of Warner coming back to win Iowa. Or was there.....
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »

Does anybody know where I can get maps of the delegate districts for most states?
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 11:46:01 PM »

Bayh's only shot at winning the nomination is to win Iowa, otherwise he'll end up like Gephardt, or even worse, Lieberman.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies