If Trump is dropped...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:16:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Trump is dropped...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: If Trump is dropped...  (Read 1797 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »

Who will he be replaced with? Pence/Ryan or Ryan/Pence?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »

Kasich/[Moderate], and I can see myself reconsidering support, maybe.
F_S_USATN

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »

Some combo of Pence/Ryan/Romney/Kasich/Cruz

Hoping for Newt and Christie to be in the discussion only to be sorely disappointed yet again
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:58:59 PM »

Kasich/Rubio. The only ticket with a good chance of winning.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »

Presidential nominee: Mike Pence
VP: Kasich/Rubio/Christie/Gingrich
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:03:24 PM »

Would Pence be the nominee if Trump steps down? Can't they pick Kasich, Ted or Marco?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »

Not going to happen.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »

Would Pence be the nominee if Trump steps down? Can't they pick Kasich, Ted or Marco?

They can pick anyone they want.  The Republican National Committee rules address what would happen should their nominee decide not to or be unable to make it to the General Election on Nov. 8. The issue is addressed in Rule 9 – Filling Vacancies in Nominations.”

There are two things that can happen:

1. The Party Chair calls a meeting of the National Committee, and the 168-member committee members would vote to fill the vacancy on the ticket. (A candidate must receive a majority of the votes to win the party's nomination.)

2.  The RNC can reconvene the national convention “for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.”

source: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/what-would-happen-if-donald-trump-decided-drop-out/nr86F/

However, IMO it would seem like a big slap in the face to Pence.  
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2016, 02:11:39 PM by Seriously? »

Do you want to explain to me how a duly nominated Presidential candidate can get "dropped" outside of death or incapacitation?

I'd like to know: 1) the RNC rule for dropping a nominee, not by his own volition and 2) the statewide procedures to ensure that the candidate gets taken off of the ballot in all 50 states.

This premise is utter fantasyland nonsense.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »

Kasich/Pence in theory would be the best choice. This is ignoring the fact that Trump's sycophants like Seriously? will stay home on election day.
kyc0705

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 02:12:08 PM »

Go with Kasich or someone of the like and pray that there aren't too many Trump-or-Bust voters.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »

Trump will NOT be dropped, but he may be "persuaded" to drop out himself.  Or as ABC News has it:

Karl said the Republican Party could not force Trump out of the race now that he’s their nominee, but he might solve their problem by dropping out.

“He would have to go out voluntarily, then it would be the 168 members of the RNC, through a complicated process, that would pick a new candidate,” Karl said. “It would have to happen by early September.”

A stunned George Stephanopoulos, the Good Morning America host, asked if that was a real possibility.

“He is so unpredictable right now, they are so unable to control his message, that they just don’t know and clearly think it is a possibility, which is why they’re looking at these rules,” Karl said.

If that happens, I am predicting Pence stays as VP (to ensure some electoral credibility) and the top spot goes to Ryan, Kasich or (if the GOP wants another trainwreck) Cruz.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »

If Republicans do this, they might as well not run any candidate because they would all but guarantee the election to Hillary. I don't understand WHY and HOW these Republicans do not get it: if they drop Trump, they're going to lose probably 95 percent of his most diehard supporters who will either not vote in protest or may even do the unthinkable and vote for Hillary out of spite. Replacing a flamethrower like Trump with a low-energy moderate like Kasich or Rubio will just antagonize them even more.

I think they have to accept their fate: Trump is going to lose badly and he's taking the whole party down with him. Remember that 2012 autopsy after Romney lost that they failed to abide by? They're going to have to majorly rebrand following their impending landslide loss in November or the party is going to die.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »

Trump will NOT be dropped, but he may be "persuaded" to drop out himself.  Or as ABC News has it:

Karl said the Republican Party could not force Trump out of the race now that he’s their nominee, but he might solve their problem by dropping out.

“He would have to go out voluntarily, then it would be the 168 members of the RNC, through a complicated process, that would pick a new candidate,” Karl said. “It would have to happen by early September.”

A stunned George Stephanopoulos, the Good Morning America host, asked if that was a real possibility.

“He is so unpredictable right now, they are so unable to control his message, that they just don’t know and clearly think it is a possibility, which is why they’re looking at these rules,” Karl said.

If that happens, I am predicting Pence stays as VP (to ensure some electoral credibility) and the top spot goes to Ryan, Kasich or (if the GOP wants another trainwreck) Cruz.

Kasich/Pence? I doubt it. Two midwestern governors doesn't make much sense.

The strongest GOP ticket would be, as already stated, Kasich/Rubio.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »

Kasich/Pence? I doubt it. Two midwestern governors doesn't make much sense.

The strongest GOP ticket would be, as already stated, Kasich/Rubio.

Unless Pence drops out voluntarily, he is staying put.  If he does though, would allow a potential olive branch GOP ticket of Kasich/Cruz (in that order please).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »

How exactly do you "drop" and "replace" a candidate that has already been officially nominated ?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »

If Republicans do this, they might as well not run any candidate because they would all but guarantee the election to Hillary. I don't understand WHY and HOW these Republicans do not get it: if they drop Trump, they're going to lose probably 95 percent of his most diehard supporters who will either not vote in protest or may even do the unthinkable and vote for Hillary out of spite. Replacing a flamethrower like Trump with a low-energy moderate like Kasich or Rubio will just antagonize them even more.

I think they have to accept their fate: Trump is going to lose badly and he's taking the whole party down with him. Remember that 2012 autopsy after Romney lost that they failed to abide by? They're going to have to majorly rebrand following their impending landslide loss in November or the party is going to die.

Hillary is such a vulnerable candidate that even a "latecomer" ticket would seriously challenge her, especially if it is credible.  We shall see.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 02:27:04 PM »

I really hope this happens now so I have the Great Honor of voting for America's first female President!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »

There are also state deadline laws for replacements and ballot access. At some point it would be too late to take his name off.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »

There are also state deadline laws for replacements and ballot access. At some point it would be too late to take his name off.

Plus, in some states the ballots are printed soon (early Sept. I guess) so they can be sent to overseas Americans/military members.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »

Agreed.  As Karl said in that ABC interview, it has to happen by early September.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »

Florida's ballot deadline is September 1st. Clocks ticking.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »

Why in hell would he willingly drop out?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »

1. He just doesn't have it in him and I think he knows it (hence all the smoke signals for help, in the form of atrocious behavior)
2. Because he can extract a pound of flesh from the GOP and its donors (Koch brothers, how would you like to fund a major development in NYC? Smiley)
3. Because he is genuinely afraid that if he continues to run (and fails), he would be aggressively sued, blacklisted and destroyed.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »

I really hope this happens now so I have the Great Honor of voting for America's first female President!

You can already have that honor anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies