How I voted on DFL platform resolutions today, AMA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:54:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How I voted on DFL platform resolutions today, AMA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How I voted on DFL platform resolutions today, AMA  (Read 359 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2024, 09:56:58 PM »

Although two important clarifying notes:

1-Some of these I probably agreed with the underlying issue but didn't like the wording and/or considered it inappropriate for the platform.
2-Some I just flat out didn't know enough about. Which I always defaulted to a "No" vote, especially as abstaining has the same effect anyway. (They need 60% "Yes" of all votes cast to go to the state level.)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 11:44:16 PM »

Did the fur products thing pass?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 05:28:29 PM »

Why is it Yeah instead of Yea
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 05:33:18 PM »

Unfortunately there's no way to know at the convention, you just drop off the ballot, I'll have to see if I can find anything online.

No clue but it's a terribly designed ballot honestly, that's the least bad thing on it.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 06:51:42 AM »

No clue but it's a terribly designed ballot honestly, that's the least bad thing on it.

yeah, definitely looks like it was designed in 5 minutes in MS Word or something.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 02:23:31 PM »

> Opposes the separation of church and state
> "I'm all liberal, all the time!"
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 02:47:11 PM »

Why did you vote to ban municipalities from clearing homeless encampments?
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 03:19:53 PM »

Was the person who typeset that ballot literate?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 04:54:41 PM »

Can you explain your vote against the End of Life Options Act? I don't know anything about the legislation or if it opens the door to stories we've seen out of Canada and the Netherlands, but euthanasia restricted to the terminally ill is pretty ALATT.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 04:59:49 PM »

Wow you're so liberal
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 02:35:37 PM »

Actually I would've voted for that one if it wasn't for one word, "White", it's not a racial issue at all, and people like Mark Robinson prove this sort of thing is not existing for only white people. Again, a case of bad wording. (Also in this case it's not just bad wording it's using Twitterese which is always bad in general, one can put in a resolution about church/state separation without woke Twitter buzzwords.)

Because it often ends up pretty cruel and does nothing to fix the problems of it here, usually they just pop up again in a different location, and then eventually the same location playing whack-a-mole, and hurts people in the mean time.

Likely just lazy or bad at MS Word.

Can you explain your vote against the End of Life Options Act? I don't know anything about the legislation or if it opens the door to stories we've seen out of Canada and the Netherlands, but euthanasia restricted to the terminally ill is pretty ALATT.
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=587177.0

1-Some of these I probably agreed with the underlying issue but didn't like the wording and/or considered it inappropriate for the platform.
2-Some I just flat out didn't know enough about. Which I always defaulted to a "No" vote, especially as abstaining has the same effect anyway. (They need 60% "Yes" of all votes cast to go to the state level.)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 02:59:50 PM »

Actually I would've voted for that one if it wasn't for one word, "White", it's not a racial issue at all, and people like Mark Robinson prove this sort of thing is not existing for only white people. Again, a case of bad wording. (Also in this case it's not just bad wording it's using Twitterese which is always bad in general, one can put in a resolution about church/state separation without woke Twitter buzzwords.)

Because it often ends up pretty cruel and does nothing to fix the problems of it here, usually they just pop up again in a different location, and then eventually the same location playing whack-a-mole, and hurts people in the mean time.

Re: the homeless point, what is your preferred solution?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 03:09:10 PM »

Re: the homeless point, what is your preferred solution?

Expansion of shelters and better opportunities for housing. Which obviously can't be done immediately and believe me I usually HATE it when people say "Well we should actually do X" when X is just a long-term solution and not an immediate one to a problem. But the current homeless encampment clearing isn't even really a short term solution. It just means the homeless encampments move to a different part of the city, and then a different part when that one is cleared, and it cycles until it's back to the same spot. Any homeless encampment clearings have already happened multiple times in those locations. It's just playing whack a mole that accomplishes nothing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 04:37:25 PM »

Here's basically a summary on each "No" vote:

1-I dislike real fur products, but they're quite rare now and quite expensive, just not something that's a big priority for the platform.
2-Too much going on here and I'm not sure the entirety of what it's about.
8-Dumb Twitter/TikTok nonsense.
9-Explained above.
10-Explained above.
19-I support legal and regulated sports gambling.
25-Too vague, especially "ban bad substances."
31-Allowing vegetarian options at the student's request isn't a bad idea but this was kind of awkwardly worded and most schools do something along this lines anyway.
32-This seems like a stealth right-wing resolution and it's usually them who complain about this and things like alt-right speakers being shut down. Although I suspect it may have actually come from someone who wants openly pro-Hamas speakers or along those lines, either way not standing with them.
36-Don't know much about this, but I've never had much trouble breathing in north Minneapolis.
42-I don't know much about this and frankly promises here to help workers find new jobs are usually quite hollow, and a lot of times end up with flippant "learn to code" type things.
43-Clearly pro-BDS, a movement I don't like because it leads to things like protesting screenings of a leftist Israeli filmmaker's film that is critical of the occupation.
46-More BDS type stuff.
47-I don't know what that thing is.
50-Also something I know little about.
54-A blanket ban on this sort of thing is not good policy.
55-This is kind of like when conservatives propose being able to buy health insurance across state lines as an alternative to universal health care proposals, it sounds good on paper but opens up a ton of issues and needs more than a single sentence to address.
57-Not a bad proposal at its core but these type of rigid caps can be pretty harmful in practice.
58-Explained above (also this is a dupe)
62-Raise the minimum wage, sure, but $25/hour? No.
66-Something that has been tried in some places like France and didn't work well.
67-Generic platitude that has no policy proposal and thus effectively means nothing.
69-A ban on all Israeli "aid" is too far.
73-Inflammatory wording.
76-I don't know what this is.
79-Too rigid wording and not a fan of this sort of "guilty until proven innocent" type policy.
81-I don't know much about this.
82-Also not an issue I know much about, but wouldn't want to support something that could potentially restrict farmer's ability to protect their livestock from wolves.
88-I don't know what this bill is.
89-Already covered, this is a dupe.
95-Actually reading this now I think I might've misunderstood it and it's something I would be fine with, some of the wording about the civil servants & educators was confusing.
102-Support statehood for DC and Puerto Rico, but the others have too low populations to be viable as states.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 02:32:06 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 09:30:47 AM »

Ì explained this above. I voted against it because of just one word.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies