Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 09:24:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 184027 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: December 10, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

White House wants to argue that AVR us unconstitutional:

That argument might hold some water against a law requiring compulsory voting.  But I don't see how it applies to registration; you can still choose not to vote.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #326 on: December 10, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »

That argument might hold some water against a law requiring compulsory voting.  But I don't see how it applies to registration; you can still choose not to vote.

I could see it for voter registration that does more than that, such as party registration.  Such a choice could be viewed as compelled speech, even with the option to not choose a party.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #327 on: December 10, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

I could see it for voter registration that does more than that, such as party registration.  Such a choice could be viewed as compelled speech, even with the option to not choose a party.

I mean, you could have two options: "No Party" and "Did not specify".

Also, I think it'd be pretty tough for the textualists to rule that the act of not registering to vote is protected by the First Amendment.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #328 on: December 10, 2017, 06:48:16 PM »

PA-07 is pretty bad, but MD-03 is absolutely horrendous.

I think MD-3 is uglier, but PA-7 is a more gerrymandered district.  I’d argue Ohio has a worse gerrymander than MD or PA though (PA is still pretty bad o/c).  MD’s map is ugly, but the idea that it is among the worst partisan gerrymanders is pretty ridiculous.  PA, NC, TX, OH, MI, and arguably even WI are all far worse.  MD is about on par with the gerrymander in IN imo.  The Democrats didn’t even draw an 8-0 map (which they certainly could’ve done).

MD’s map isn’t so much a partisan gerrymander as it is a “keep all this Baltimore guys in the House” gerrymander

Yeah this reads more to me like the WH trying to preempt any state lawmakers from dabbling in AVR by spoiling them from the start
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: December 11, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »

I'm not sure that McCormick understands the workings of AVR. There seems to be an assumption that the voter is automatically registered and can do nothing abut it. That's not how AVR works, and in many ways it just extends the 1993 National Voter Registration Act (Motor Voter). The difference is that under the Motor Voter law the voter must opt in, and under AVR the voter opts out. Either way the voter has final control about their registration status.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #330 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »

I'm not sure that McCormick understands the workings of AVR. There seems to be an assumption that the voter is automatically registered and can do nothing abut it. That's not how AVR works, and in many ways it just extends the 1993 National Voter Registration Act (Motor Voter). The difference is that under the Motor Voter law the voter must opt in, and under AVR the voter opts out. Either way the voter has final control about their registration status.
In Oregon, prospective new voters are sent a notice. To opt out they have to return the card within a short period of time. They can also return the card to choose a party.

If someone returns the card after the deadline, their wishes are honored.

Most of the recipients do nothing, and party registration is plummeting. When the program started in 2016 they would send a notice immediately after they had had contact with the DMV. They also had a secondary program, sending notices to those who had contact in 2014 and 2015 but were not registered. A larger share of these were returned saying they did not want to be registered. Presumably, some of these had been asked in 2014-2015 and had said NO, and now the government was attempting to force them to register.

So what is happening is the people who would have said Yes, are getting a form that says you don't have to do anything, so they don't, and if they had been given the form, they might have picked a party. Those who are indifferent are being registered, but they are unlikely to vote.'

They could make it Opt-in by simply requiring the card to be returned. If there is no response, they could send a second notice, or send someone out in person.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #331 on: December 13, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »

Maryland governor to push redistricting reform bill again

ANNAPOLIS, MD.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said Wednesday that he will try again for the fourth consecutive year to make congressional redistricting a nonpartisan process.

Hogan, a Republican, said he will submit legislation in the next session to create an independent commission to draw congressional and state legislative districts.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:41 PM »

This would appear to be purely partisan politics here, since younger voters are more likely to be Democratic voters. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2017, 10:20:53 PM »

This would appear to be purely partisan politics here, since younger voters are more likely to be Democratic voters.  

Huh Partisan politics is what guides most changes to election law by Republicans.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

Huh Partisan politics is what guides most changes to election law by Republicans.

Unfortunately what I've seen in IL is that it guides most election law changes when Dems control.a state, too.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »

Unfortunately what I've seen in IL is that it guides most election law changes when Dems control.a state, too.

True. It might be more fair to replace 'Republicans' in my sentence with 'political parties' but I wanted to dump on Republicans for a moment there.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »

PA gerrymandering verdict due out by January 2018....just in time for the-midterms.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »

One would think that the upcoming SCOTUS decision would circumscribe what the PA state Supreme Court does, or if the PA court rules first, perhaps override some of it.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #339 on: December 17, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »

One would think that the upcoming SCOTUS decision would circumscribe what the PA state Supreme Court does, or if the PA court rules first, perhaps override some of it.

I don't think we get a ruling on Gill Vs Whitford till June of 2018
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »

The PA case is based on the PA Constitution - no federal case has purview
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »

Are you sure about that? That is the key point.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #343 on: December 21, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »

BIG, if true

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #344 on: December 21, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

Whoa!

Are you sure about that? That is the key point.

I’m quite sure. The GOP appeal to take the case federal was denied and it’s currently being decided by PA state courts
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: December 21, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »

Are there any updates on what the IDC is doing? Because these kinds of reforms would take every single non-Republican vote in the state Senate to pass. I really hope he can ram it through but I'm not too confident right now.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #346 on: December 21, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »

Are there any updates on what the IDC is doing? Because these kinds of reforms would take every single non-Republican vote in the state Senate to pass. I really hope he can ram it through but I'm not too confident right now.

The real reason Cuomo proposed this is because NYC just passed these reforms and Cuomo absolutely hates De Blasio and wants to "up" him in any way.

Cuomo may not be motivated by genuine reasons but he never passes up a chance to stick it to de Blasio in a petty competitive way lol
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #347 on: December 22, 2017, 02:41:09 AM »

The real reason Cuomo proposed this is because NYC just passed these reforms and Cuomo absolutely hates De Blasio and wants to "up" him in any way.

Cuomo may not be motivated by genuine reasons but he never passes up a chance to stick it to de Blasio in a petty competitive way lol

I mean if by "stick it to" you mean "coopt his agenda" that's fine with me.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #348 on: December 22, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: December 22, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting that either. I knew they had taken up AVR a couple years ago but for one reason or another they dropped it after Republicans kept raising privacy concerns. Also, Maryland does have same-day registration already, but only for early voting (I think it was due to go into effect in 2018). Glad to see they are going full speed ahead with this stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies