GA 2006 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:55:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA 2006 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA 2006 Congressional Elections  (Read 1339 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2005, 02:44:46 AM »

Does anybody foresee a majority of congressmen from Georgia being Democrats after the 2006 elections?

2002:
8 Republicans
5 Democrats

2004:
7 Republicans
6 Democrats*

*4 of these candidates ran unopposed.

Could perhaps a challenger to any of these 4 districts (Districts 1, 6, 7, & 10) produce different results? These are fairly strong Republican areas, but are the congressmen in these districts simply being elected due to a lack of competition?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 03:06:07 AM »

The GOP may very well undo the Democratic gerrymander, in which case I imagine the Republicans will expand their majority.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:22:36 AM »

It might. They didn't replace it with another evil gerrymander of their own, but passed a genuinely much better map...which means that there are no certain gains.
But another Democrat pickup? Stop dreaming.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 09:02:10 AM »

If there's no Republican re-gerrymander, Dems could conceivably pick up one seat (CD11), but they have no chance in 1, 6, 7 and 10, which are all overwhelmingly Republican districts.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »

Wow - another D-GA!

I posted my thoughts on the implications of this year's GOP redistricting on the 2006 elections here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=17588.0

I'd give it a 60% chance of being 7R, 6D again, with the same 13 reps, and a 40% chance of being 8R, 5D (with Barrow losing to Burns in their rematch).

I think the main effect of this mid-decade redistricting will be not to take out incumbent Dems, but to solidify the GOP incumbents.  The new districts should be 7 solid R, 4 solid D, 1 strong D, and 1 lean D.  So only a scandal or perhaps an open seat with mismatched candidates favoring the Dems could unseat any GOP incumbent.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 11:28:30 PM »

I can't see Burns winning a rematch unless Barrow does something really stupid, and as a freshman representative of the minority party, Barrow will have to go very far out of his way to do something that stupid,
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 03:06:39 PM »

I can't see Burns winning a rematch unless Barrow does something really stupid, and as a freshman representative of the minority party, Barrow will have to go very far out of his way to do something that stupid,
...if the gerrymander doesn't pass, that is (what's the status there?). They're moving his base - Athens - out of the district, quite rightly too I should add, but of course it's hard on Barrow.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 03:08:03 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2005, 03:09:40 PM by Southeast Lottery Commissioner Q »

It won't be the same district as in 2004.  Same number (12), but the area is changing.  Athens/Clarke County, Barrow's home base and the most liberal part of the district, will no longer be in the 12th.  It'll be a more Republican district this time around.

Edit: Lewis posted while I was typing this, and he's right.  The new maps did pass.  They're subject to Civil Rights review, but they'll probably be approved.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 03:40:30 PM »

Lewis posted while I was typing this, and he's right.  The new maps did pass.  They're subject to Civil Rights review, but they'll probably be approved.
Okay thanks.
Btw, re your signature: No we can't. What have you been smoking?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies