USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Daybreak National Tracking: 11/7 - Trump +3.2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Daybreak National Tracking: 11/7 - Trump +3.2 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Daybreak National Tracking: 11/7 - Trump +3.2  (Read 84558 times)
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« on: October 01, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »

I've been following the discussion about this tracking poll for a bit and so far I've mostly followed the 538 opinion. This poll is useful as long as you use it to track trends, not as an accurate indicator of the race. However, today inspired by "the formula" I've been thinking about what the daily fluctuations of this poll can tell us. Looking at these, it appears that this poll is very elastic, likely exaggerating swings in both directions. (Apologies if anyone remarked on this previously, I didn't read through the complete thread yet.)

Let's take a look at today's numbers. Today the results are C:42.3%, T:46.7%. Yesterday it was C:41.7%, T:47.3%. Assuming that the "daily cohorts" are all of an equal size, we see the following:
x_{t-7} / 7 + (6/7)y = 41.7%
x_t / 7 + (6/7)y = 42.3%
with x_t the % Clinton supporters in the Saturday cohort today, x_{t-7} the % Clinton supports in the Saturday cohort last week and y the % Clinton supports in the other cohorts polled over the previous 6 days.

Solving this (and doing the same for Trump) we see that among the Saturday cohort, there has been a massive 8.4 percentage point swing for Clinton over the last week. Doing the same for the Friday cohort, there has been an even larger 11.2 percentage point swing for Trump. In fact, during September there have been 7 swings of over 10 points (including one 23.1 points swing) among daily cohorts in a weeks time. Even though the daily cohorts are fairly small and have high MOE, such regular large swings should probably be much rarer.

The methodology of this poll can explain the elasticity. Remember that this poll weights based on self-reported likelihood to vote. Good or bad news for a candidate thus doesn't only influence the amount of supporters, but through increased enthusiasm further amplifies swings.
Smeulders
Rookie
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:05:28 AM »

Seriously? Can you check the dates on the results? You have 2 "through 10/5"'s in a row. Your results for the first 10/5 (Clinton 42.6, Trump 46.6) also differs from the one on the "LA Times Poll dashboard", there it says C:42.9, T:46.5 "as of 5 October", which coincides with your "through 10/4" number.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies