USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Daybreak National Tracking: 11/7 - Trump +3.2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Daybreak National Tracking: 11/7 - Trump +3.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Author Topic: USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Daybreak National Tracking: 11/7 - Trump +3.2  (Read 83708 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »

You do realize that 1: this is a seven-day running average (as has been discussed in this thread already), and 2: because of that fact, Trump's convention bump in this poll didn't even BEGIN until AFTER the convention was over, and by analogy, Clinton's shouldn't begin until tomorrow's tracking numbers, right? No?
Also the poll itself is just sh**t. 

I'm not convinced of that. Perhaps it has a bias, but that doesn't mean it is useless. It seems to capture trends pretty well (if late).
Not really.  It is a sham compared to what they had four years ago.  Shouldn't have launched it until after the conventions at the least.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »

You do realize that 1: this is a seven-day running average (as has been discussed in this thread already), and 2: because of that fact, Trump's convention bump in this poll didn't even BEGIN until AFTER the convention was over, and by analogy, Clinton's shouldn't begin until tomorrow's tracking numbers, right? No?

I'm not convinced of that. Perhaps it has a bias, but that doesn't mean it is useless. It seems to capture trends pretty well (if late).
Not really.  It is a sham compared to what they had four years ago.  Shouldn't have launched it until after the conventions at the least.

"It's a sham because I don't believe assumptions X, Y, and Z" reeks of "unskewing". I'm not prepared to make such a bold statement about any poll just yet.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »

"It's a sham because I don't believe assumptions X, Y, and Z" reeks of "unskewing". I'm not prepared to make such a bold statement about any poll just yet.
No, because they won't release the cross tables of the poll.  Why should I trust something just based on the numbers without seeing who they are polling.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »

If you Purple heart decimals, it's Trump 46.7, Clinton 40.6,
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

No, because they won't release the cross tables of the poll.  Why should I trust something just based on the numbers without seeing who they are polling.
The "detailed data" tab has sample sizes. 
Mallow
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »

Yeah I pretty much tuned out of the conversation when he said that...
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »

At this point, you seem like an idiot who wants to believe this damn poll.  So, I'll leave you in your "poll".

Also, they didn't have that when I first looked at this poll and threw it in the garbage.  Havent looked since.  But think what you want to think.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »

At this point, you seem like an idiot who wants to believe this damn poll.  So, I'll leave you in your "poll".

Also, they didn't have that when I first looked at this poll and threw it in the garbage.  Havent looked since.  But think what you want to think.
So you threw it in the garbage, because they did't have it [at the very start], but now, when they do have it, you don't care.

Ok!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2016, 02:14:55 AM »

USC/LA Times national tracking poll (7/29):
Trump - 47 (+/-)
Clinton - 42 (+1)
(#) denotes change from previous day
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2016, 02:16:56 AM »

Trump - 47 (+/-)
Clinton - 42 (+1)

Movin' On Up!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2016, 04:14:24 AM »

Trump - 47 (+/-)
Clinton - 42 (+1)

Movin' On Up!
I believe this will put Clinton in the lead on the RCP national head to head average unless another poll comes out today that shows good results for trump.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

Trump 46.6, Clinton 41.7, for those who Purple heart decimals.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »

They're doing a poll every day now?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »

This poll is trash
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »

LA Times? Why? Because TRUMP is leading?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »

No
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »

Well the poll is contradicting nearly every other poll taken since it became a Clinton/Trump election and the demographics of the United States just wouldn't allow for a Trump margin to be this large.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »

Well the poll is contradicting nearly every other poll taken since it became a Clinton/Trump election and the demographics of the United States just wouldn't allow for a Trump margin to be this large.

There seems to be a pretty substantial R bias in their sample, but the trends seem reasonable if you account for the lag (it's a 7-day running average, so the "7/29" number is an average of 7/23-7/29).
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

So basically Clinton's bounce is 2 points so far, and we've got another 6 days before they completely capture the bounce.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2016, 01:26:35 PM »

So basically Clinton's bounce is 2 points so far, and we've got another 6 days before they completely capture the bounce.

Yep. Trump's full bounce wasn't registered until 6 days after the end of the RNC. That suggests Clinton's will have to wait 'til the 7/28-8/3 number released on August 4th.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2016, 02:38:25 PM »

There seems to be a pretty substantial R bias in their sample, but the trends seem reasonable if you account for the lag (it's a 7-day running average, so the "7/29" number is an average of 7/23-7/29).
Yes. Trends!

Yep. Trump's full bounce wasn't registered until 6 days after the end of the RNC. That suggests Clinton's will have to wait 'til the 7/28-8/3 number released on August 4th.
Yes. We can actually calculate, what the last day approximately shows (~ 300 sample):

Trump today:
(6*46.7 + Trump*1)/7 = 46.6 (7 day rolling)
=> Trump = 46.6*7 - 6*46.7 = 46%

Clinton today:
(6*40.6 + Clinton*1)/7 = 41.7 (7 day rolling)
=> Clinton = 7*41.7 - 6*40.6 = 48.3%

But since the sample is so small (~300) the MOE is YUUUGE!
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

Yes. Trends!

Yes. We can actually calculate, what the last day approximately shows (~ 300 sample):

Trump today:
(6*46.7 + Trump*1)/7 = 46.6 (7 day rolling)
=> Trump = 46.6*7 - 6*46.7 = 46%

Clinton today:
(6*40.6 + Clinton*1)/7 = 41.7 (7 day rolling)
=> Clinton = 7*41.7 - 6*40.6 = 48.3%

But since the sample is so small (~300) the MOE is YUUUGE!
Interesting, that would be a 9 point bounce, right in line with RABA.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »

Using the LittleBigPlanet's equation above, I bring you yesterday's demographics.

35-64: 48.7 Trump, 45.5 Clinton
65+: 52.2 Clinton, 45.1 Trump

Education
HS or less: 54.6 Trump, 40.4 Clinton
some college: 53.2 Trump, 43.7 Clinton
BA+: 61.3 Clinton, 29.8 Trump

Household Income
$0-35k: 48.6 Clinton, 42.9 Trump
$35-75k: 50.5 Trump, 41.8 Clinton
$75k+: 52.3 Clinton, 43.5 Trump

Race
White: 55.2 Trump, 39 Clinton
African American: 89.1 Clinton, 2.3 Trump
Other ethnicity: 48.3 Trump, 45.9 Clinton
Hispanic: 64.6 Clinton, 35.4 Trump

Male: 46.9 Clinton, 45.4 Trump

But with a 300ish sample size, the margins of error are monstrous. That's what any abnormalities can be contributed to, FTR.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2016, 02:12:24 AM »

USC/LA Times national tracking poll (7/30):
Trump - 46.1 (-.5)
Clinton - 41.9 (+.2)
Soonerdem