Trump: the Congress must formally declare "World War"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 03:37:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: the Congress must formally declare "World War"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump: the Congress must formally declare "World War"  (Read 1429 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:47 AM »

But Hillary! Iraq! NEO-CONS!!
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »

World war against radical islam? I'm all for it.

But a "war" against radical Islam can't be won with bullets and bombs. We already tried that! Thousands of dead Americans, hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis and Afghanis, not to mention trillions spent...nothing of lasting value has been accomplished. Please don't tell me that it's because we didn't have someone as tough as trump, he has no military experience at all.

Also, think about the absurdity of someone declaring a "world war". One person, one country, one congress, cannot decide that, lol. World wars just happen...they aren't unilaterally declared by one actor.

The only thing this would accomplish is to give Trump sweeping powers to do whatever the hell he wants. A lot of Trumps statements indicate he wants to pretty much be a dictator. I shouldn't have to explain to someone with a Deutschland avatar how that can end poorly for the people of a nation. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »

Awesome. Please stop posting here and go volunteer in Syria.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »

Not only militarily. But you have to knock the hell out of ISIS. They need to be defeated again and again to destroy their will. If they get that loser label, less young people will join them. Of course, you also have to fight internet propaganda and cut their funding. That means standing up to our so called "allies". Right now, we're not doing enough to get rid of this cancer.

They already are being defeated again and again. They've lost at Kobani, Ramadi, Tikrit, Falluja, and Palmyra since late 2014. However, their global reach and terrorist activities have increased in this time span.

How do you propose that we "knock the hell out of ISIS" exactly? Troops on the ground? Once again...we already tried this...it doesn't work in countries that are politically and culturally fragmented like Iraq, Afghanistan, or arguably Syria. We only serve to decimate even more of the ME and send  more people running like crazy to Europe.

There is no easy soloution to the ISIS problem - Don't let Trump make a fool of you. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »

The problem is, if it becomes a situation where ISIS is identified with Sunnis and Sunnis with ISIS, and anything else is Kurdish, Shiite, or non-Arab, then tribalism will take over and ISIS will never be defeated. What's needed are Sunnis who are left-wing and anti-radical Islam. Such as the Turkish coup plotters on Friday - while I disagreed with their methods, I agree with their alignment. They're out there. These people exist. Abdul Gamal Nasser existed. It's possible. We need to find these people and support them.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »

Not only militarily. But you have to knock the hell out of ISIS. They need to be defeated again and again to destroy their will. If they get that loser label, less young people will join them. Of course, you also have to fight internet propaganda and cut their funding. That means standing up to our so called "allies". Right now, we're not doing enough to get rid of this cancer.

They already are being defeated again and again. They've lost at Kobani, Ramadi, Tikrit, Falluja, and Palmyra since late 2014. However, their global reach and terrorist activities have increased in this time span.

How do you propose that we "knock the hell out of ISIS" exactly? Troops on the ground? Once again...we already tried this...it doesn't work in countries that are politically and culturally fragmented like Iraq, Afghanistan, or arguably Syria. We only serve to decimate even more of the ME and send  more people running like crazy to Europe.

There is no easy soloution to the ISIS problem - Don't let Trump make a fool of you. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I never said there's an easily solution. I mean you could intensify the bombing. We know where they are, places like Raqqa. I don't think western troops on the ground are a good idea; local muslim forces are better for the larger operations. I would only use (western) special forces for special operations, but that has to be unpredictable. Not like Obama, when he's telling that he's now sending 100 people to Syria.

The refugee crises should be solved by improved conditions in the camps. That means more money. I'm fine to give more. All western countries should. But the regional powers should also. The gulf states have nothing but money, I would make them pay for it. Saudi-Arabia and Iran as well, because they are key-contributors for the war in Syria. We shouldn't allow them any longer to get away with that. But Hilldog won't stand up against them, TRUMP will. Meanwhile, close European borders and allow qualified people to come in legally, without be drowned in the Mediterranean Sea, which his humanitarian disaster.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »

You'll never hear me say that Hillary is worse than Trump, but just because she isn't an incompetent buffoon, doesn't mean she doesn't favor a militaristic policy.  She had several disagreements with Obama during her time as SoS because she favors a more interventionist approach.  Anyone who thinks she'll handle situations similar to he does, will be disappointed.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »

This does lend weight to the claim that Trump will start World War Three.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »

I never said there's an easily solution. I mean you could intensify the bombing. We know where they are, places like Raqqa. I don't think western troops on the ground are a good idea; local muslim forces are better for the larger operations. I would only use (western) special forces for special operations, but that has to be unpredictable. Not like Obama, when he's telling that he's now sending 100 people to Syria.

The refugee crises should be solved by improved conditions in the camps. That means more money. I'm fine to give more. All western countries should. But the regional powers should also. The gulf states have nothing but money, I would make them pay for it. Saudi-Arabia and Iran as well, because they are key-contributors for the war in Syria. We shouldn't allow them any longer to get away with that. But Hilldog won't stand up against them, TRUMP will. Meanwhile, close European borders and allow qualified people to come in legally, without be drowned in the Mediterranean Sea, which his humanitarian disaster.

So you advocate bombing civilian areas? Raqqa is a city with 100,000 people...they were abandoned by their government and taken over by ISIS. There is great collateral damage with increased intensity of bombings, and there is no way around that. When we kill civilians, it certainly gives terrorists great bulletin board material to radicalize and recruit new members.

What do you propose we do to force Iran or Saudi into action? We don't have much leverage with them. Trump can talk as tough as he wants but we can't afford to invade those countries, and it would just cause more problems anyway.

Finally, refugees don't want to live in upscale camps paid for by Saudi or Iranian money anyway. They want to go home. But as long as we are sticking our noses in everything, and causing bigger problems, we are only going to make the situation for our allies in Europe even worse.

One more thing. I agree with the poster who said Hillary has interventionist tendencies. Her stance on Syria makes me anxious as me as well, and I hope she would reconsider. But this is a thread about a Trump comment, and it doesn't make what he said any less dumb.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies