Trump announces Pence will be his running mate -- discussion thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 05:15:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump announces Pence will be his running mate -- discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Trump announces Pence will be his running mate -- discussion thread  (Read 10417 times)
swf541

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »

Anyone else think this is a big fake out?

Pence is just a really bad choice

Well Christie is worse and Newt isn't much better.

Pence cant even speak well......  Christie is bad but at least he can talk competently

Yes but does anyone like Christie? He might be more unlikable then either Trump or HRC, it takes talent to be that unlikable. Pence is just a safe boring pick that won't hurt him and will make a few conservatives happier with Trump.

A lot of conservatives see him as caving in and dont like him for that either.  I cant think of anything good about Pence
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »

Does anyone outside of Indiana even know who Pence is?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »

The displaying of the ticket will be ....
Trump/is Dense

dense = Someone who lacks common sense, acts like an idiot and makes a fool of themselves without realizing.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2016, 04:04:20 PM »

Pence could put Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania to the Trump campaign. He's a soothing Midwesterner, my type of politician.

Lol no, especially Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Um, yeah, Michigan is near to Indiana. He plays well in that media market.

How did Paul Ryan play in Wisconsin or the rest of the Midwest?

Devil's Advocate:

There is a significant difference between Governors (e.g. Pence) and Representatives in the House (e.g. Ryan), particularly in the areas they represent. Ryan couldn't deliver Wisconsin or the Midwest because, as a House member, he ran for elections in one district. Pence, on the other hand, won governship by winning an entire state, which is broader than one district. Thus, it's reasonable to think that Pence, unlike Ryan in 2012, can deliver areas to a presidential nominee.

But a member of the House who is a VP nominee can potentially attract votes by virtue of the qualities he may bring to the ticket, e.g. leadership abilities, appeal to conservatives, appeal to liberals, charisma, speaking abilities, debating abilities, voters perception of them that they are prepared to become President if necessary.

So in considering a VP nominee, there are more than territorial considerations.  

As far as Pence goes, he will solidify Indiana for the ticket, but I really doubt his appeal in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
Fargobison

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »

Pence is on a plane enroute to NY...It has to be him.
swf541

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »

Pence is on a plane enroute to NY...It has to be him.

Its Trump, I wouldnt be shocked if he had all his finalists there and put on some show.
swf541

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »

Pence could put Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania to the Trump campaign. He's a soothing Midwesterner, my type of politician.

Lol no, especially Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Um, yeah, Michigan is near to Indiana. He plays well in that media market.

How did Paul Ryan play in Wisconsin or the rest of the Midwest?

Devil's Advocate:

There is a significant difference between Governors (e.g. Pence) and Representatives in the House (e.g. Ryan), particularly in the areas they represent. Ryan couldn't deliver Wisconsin or the Midwest because, as a House member, he ran for elections in one district. Pence, on the other hand, won governship by winning an entire state, which is broader than one district. Thus, it's reasonable to think that Pence, unlike Ryan in 2012, can deliver areas to a presidential nominee.

But a member of the House who is a VP nominee can potentially attract votes by virtue of the qualities he may bring to the ticket, e.g. leadership abilities, appeal to conservatives, appeal to liberals, charisma, speaking abilities, debating abilities, voters perception of them that they are prepared to become President if necessary.

So in considering a VP nominee, there are more than territorial considerations.  

As far as Pence goes, he will solidify Indiana for the ticket, but I really doubt his appeal in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Been talking to some Indiana GOP friends today.  I was told they were no longer voting after hearing the Pence news, I think Pence actually hurts the ticket in Indiana if anything.  He has no appeal in Indiana or Pennsylvania
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »

He was in the news a lot during the whole Religious Freedom fracas.

Anyway, I said in another thread that Social Conservatives are cancer, so I will in no way be able to vote for or support this ticket. Guess I'm voting Johnson/Weld
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »

I don't believe the media reports that Pence has been picked. I'd change the thread to "The Apprentice" or something clever. We'll probably know around midnight/1:00 AM when someone gets pictured boarding a flight to New York.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »

I'm ecstatic if true - Pence is a terrible pick.
Fargobison

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2016, 04:34:12 PM by Fargobison »

ABC just tweeted that Pence is the pick and Trump has formally offered it to him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/753702953660276740
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »

He was in the news a lot during the whole Religious Freedom fracas.

Anyway, I said in another thread that Social Conservatives are cancer, so I will in no way be able to vote for or support this ticket. Guess I'm voting Johnson/Weld

Hope you vote against Maggie Hassan, though, Horsemask Tongue

Tongue I am actually going to vote for Ayotte unless something extremely drastic happens. Likely voting for GOP Gov nominee as well unless it is Forrester
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »

I don't believe the media reports that Pence has been picked. I'd change the thread to "The Apprentice" or something clever. We'll probably know around midnight/1:00 AM when someone gets pictured boarding a flight to New York.
......and Pence has boarded a flight to New York. There sure is an egg on my face.
swf541

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »

......and Pence has boarded a flight to New York. There sure is an egg on my face.

Well Trump is stupider than i thought
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2016, 05:02:14 PM »

lol at the people falling for bronz's trolling.

I'd imagine the people happiest about this announcement are Indiana residents, who no longer have a useless governor.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »

Makes sense.

Had a hard time imagining Trump choosing anyone with any semblance of personality like Christie or Gingrich, y'know considering his ego and desire for the spotlight.
john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »

A better pick than Gingrich, but it's hilarious how far down the totem pole of choices he had to go to find someone who would be his running mate.
CactusJack
Rookie
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »

A better pick than Gingrich, but it's hilarious how far down the totem pole of choices he had to go to find someone who would be his running mate.

How do you know how far down? Pence is a Republican Governor. That's not too far down.

I do like the folks who shouted from the rooftops that they would never be Trumps VP who were never asked and never considered.

Did you hear Jeb Bush and Lindsey Graham also said no!
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

This thread is too early.

No one should believe it until 11am tomorrow.
CactusJack
Rookie
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »

Pence cant even speak well......  Christie is bad but at least he can talk competently

He speaks quite well and has handled himself well at every TV interview or podium event that I've watched.

Trump was not going to pick some stammering buffoon as his VP. Pence isn't Mr. Excitement but he's not exactly Al Gore circa 1992 bore either. Gingrich or Christie could've hurt him. But a Pence choice will at worst have no impact.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »

He speaks quite well and has handled himself well at every TV interview or podium event that I've watched.

Trump was not going to pick some stammering buffoon as his VP. Pence isn't Mr. Excitement but he's not exactly Al Gore circa 1992 bore either. Gingrich or Christie could've hurt him. But a Pence choice will at worst have no impact.

Well, I mean, Pence is a viciously anti-gay creationist who thinks smoking doesn't kill people and has managed his states finances poorly. I think Pence can do a great deal of harm to Trump by combining every bad element of Republican governance to Trump's already... interesting brand.
swf541

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2016, 05:35:39 PM »

His press conference on the RFRA was horrid and effectively ended his 2016 presidential speculation.  He choked in that bad, good speaking that is not.  His "attacks" the other day were some of the weakest i ever heard, he's extremely easy to bash, he's not popular in Indiana.  Many evangelicals view him as a sell out.  None of Trump's choices were good in the end
JRP1994

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »

Trump postpones announcement because of Nice attack:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/753728269019549696
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »

I'd imagine the people happiest about this announcement are Indiana residents, who no longer have a useless governor.
This is basically my reaction.
psychprofessor

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2016, 06:13:58 PM »

anti-gay, anti-evolution, dennis hastert supporter...i don't get what the appeal is for trump with this pick
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies