Should polygamy be legalized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:48:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should polygamy be legalized?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Should polygamy be legalized?  (Read 3389 times)
Human
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »

Discuss.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »

No
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »

I voted no, I don't like the idea of it at all.

However, thinking about it, and putting aside the abuse out west for a moment, what would be the harm of legalizing it? I'm just curious about some of the reasons against it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2016, 01:00:11 PM by Goldwater »

I have no issues with it, although I'm not exactly sure how marriages with more than two people would work, contractually speaking.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:58:54 PM »

LEAVE IT TO THE STATES
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »

I voted no, I don't like the idea of it at all.

However, thinking about it, and putting aside the abuse out west for a moment, what would be the harm of legalizing it? I'm just curious about some of the reasons against it.

I'm guessing mostly legal and contractual stuff?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »

Wouldn't have a problem with it as long as there are controls to prevent rampant tax fraud. It seems like there has to be some kind of cap on the number of people you can legally marry regardless, to prevent 100 people or something from all marrying each other to get tax write offs and stuff.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 03:14:19 PM »

If the legal issues can be worked out, yes.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »

Nope.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »

No (not a weirdo)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 04:33:10 PM »

Anyone who thinks they want more than one spouse should be institutionalized.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »

No (sane)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 12:26:41 PM »

Not too long ago, people were saying that about people who wanted to bone people of the same gender ... Guess liberalism and being enlightened is, in fact, relative to the time period...
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 12:40:35 PM »

If the legal issues can be worked out, yes.

Basically this. Plus MUH PERSONAL FREEDUM!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »

Not too long ago, people were saying that about people who wanted to bone people of the same gender ... Guess liberalism and being enlightened is, in fact, relative to the time period...

Liberals who draw this unbelievably stupid analogy to promote polygamy are no better than socons who draw this unbelievably stupid analogy to condemn SSM.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 11:56:53 PM »

If you ever get and stay married for an extended period of time, then I may consider your opinion.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 03:25:51 AM »

God No, anyone who believes this, and wants more than one wife, as previously mentioned, should be institutionalized. I thought liberalism opposed the oppression of women, and all the complications that come with it, but I guess for people it's just much FREEEDOM. Which is the most annoying, not to mention dumb argument.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 04:32:54 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2016, 04:34:48 AM by I did not see L.A. »

God No, anyone who believes this, and wants more than one wife, as previously mentioned, should be institutionalized. I thought liberalism opposed the oppression of women, and all the complications that come with it, but I guess for people it's just much FREEEDOM. Which is the most annoying, not to mention dumb argument.

Yeah. It's issues like this that make me doubt whether a large segment of American liberalism is actually left-wing in any meaningful sense. It's pretty clear these people have no understanding of structural forms of oppression and how they flourish under certain "muh freedum"-inspired policies.

Admittedly, if patriarchy did not exist, I'd say it would be a legitimate issue to discuss. Not sure if I'd be for or against it in that case, but that's pretty irrelevant considering patriarchy not only exists but is in fact one of the most powerful and all-encompassing social phenomena in the history of humanity.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 04:33:54 AM »

O
L
D

C
H
E
S
T
N
U
T
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 05:07:13 AM »

If it's completely consensual (and I'm talking both polyandry and polygyny), I honestly don't care. The idea that "normal" relationships can be monogamous only is without a basis.

That being said, I wouldn't be interested in polygamy myself (I'm not interested in marriage at all).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »

If it's completely consensual (and I'm talking both polyandry and polygyny), I honestly don't care. The idea that "normal" relationships can be monogamous only is without a basis.

That being said, I wouldn't be interested in polygamy myself (I'm not interested in marriage at all).

Even if it is completely consensual, there's the damaging psychological effects on any children that are raised by parents practicing polygamy.  And of course, pretty much every time polygamy has been legalized, women have suffered as a result.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »

Even if it is completely consensual, there's the damaging psychological effects on any children that are raised by parents practicing polygamy.  And of course, pretty much every time polygamy has been legalized, women have suffered as a result.

Really? Do you have a source for that claim?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »

Even if it is completely consensual, there's the damaging psychological effects on any children that are raised by parents practicing polygamy.  And of course, pretty much every time polygamy has been legalized, women have suffered as a result.

I forget which thread and don't care enough to spend 15-20 minutes looking for it (no offense, I don't mean that in a dismissive way or anything), but there was another thread where someone was debating this with L.D. Smith and already covered all of that in detail (with a number of sources).  If you're really curious, I'm sure you can find the thread.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »

Even if it is completely consensual, there's the damaging psychological effects on any children that are raised by parents practicing polygamy.  And of course, pretty much every time polygamy has been legalized, women have suffered as a result.

I forget which thread and don't care enough to spend 15-20 minutes looking for it (no offense, I don't mean that in a dismissive way or anything), but there was another thread where someone was debating this with L.D. Smith and already covered all of that in detail (with a number of sources).  If you're really curious, I'm sure you can find the thread.

I see. I'm just of skeptical of how, say, having a dad and two moms, or a mom and two dads, would be extremely physiologically damaging. I mean, it's not like the traditional "nuclear family" madel is the only possible way to raise a family.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

WTF?!  How is this in any way analogous?  Two guys in some other state getting married doesn't affect me at all and in some ways has good legal and contractual benefits.  Three people getting married creates all kinds of legal and contractual issues.

If you ever get and stay married for an extended period of time, then I may consider your opinion.

What this poster said x10.

Yeah most American men can't properly take care of one wife and a couple of kids.  If done properly the thought of taking care of one wife and two kids should send your blood pressure into the stratosphere.

Polygamy in the west isn't normal.  For all the downsides what purpose would it serve?  Most wives are underutilized as it is.  The average married couple has less than 2 children.  It's like we tell five year olds, use what you have first and if you want seconds come back and we will talk about it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/05/08/ideal-size-of-the-american-family/
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies