Steele will run in MD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:33:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Steele will run in MD
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Steele will run in MD  (Read 2041 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2005, 03:09:36 PM »

So says the Hill
http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Campaign/061605_brief2.html

Democratic primary will feature ex. Rep Kweisi Mfume  v Rep. Benjamin Cardin and maybe Rep. Chris Van Hollen.

Should be an intersting, competitive race and somewhat of a test of the RNC chairman Ken Mehlman's minority outreach efforts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »

I know it was expected but it's good to know that we have some confirmation of this. Go Steele!
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 03:32:20 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2005, 03:37:31 PM by nickshepDEM »

Good luck Steele... You'll need it.  Smiley

Seriously, Good move by Steele.  Ehrlich's ship is sinking fast and Steele is smart for jumping off before its too late.  If he loses in 2006 he can run for Governor or even Senate again in 2010.  More likely Governor because he has no shot whatsoever of beating Mikulski.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 06:05:49 PM »

Seriously, Good move by Steele.  Ehrlich's ship is sinking fast and Steele is smart for jumping off before its too late.  If he loses in 2006 he can run for Governor or even Senate again in 2010.  More likely Governor because he has no shot whatsoever of beating Mikulski.

I hope for the sake of the GOP (my party) he wins...and maryland could use some party competition...if only to make the democrats more honest.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 06:12:53 PM »

I hope for the sake of the GOP (my party) he wins...and maryland could use some party competition...if only to make the democrats more honest.

We got it. Believe me, the Dems have been splashed with a bucket of cold water by Ehrlich's reign.

I'm really worried here. If Mfume goes down with any sort of bad blood, Cardin is not going to get the black support he needs.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 08:08:30 PM »

We got it. Believe me, the Dems have been splashed with a bucket of cold water by Ehrlich's reign.

I'm really worried here. If Mfume goes down with any sort of bad blood, Cardin is not going to get the black support he needs.

Needs to be consistent party competition.

Sometimes I wonder if (Save Rendell) the PA dems are too weak for the state's own good.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 08:10:01 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if (Save Rendell) the PA dems are too weak for the state's own good.

I'd hate to think were going the way of Ohio, but it's looking ever more possible.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »

Steele is a likeable guy.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 10:47:01 PM »

In the best of all possible worlds, Democrats would pick up seats like PA, MT, MO, AZ, and OH.  If dems had a chance at such sweeping gains in other states, I would be perfectly happy to see Chaffee retain his seat, Kean pick up the seat in NJ and Steele pick up Maryland.  I think having the republican party represented by such figures is good for the nation by making the Republican party more moderate/sane. 

However, at this point, in my desperation to see Dem gains anywhere and everywhere, I am too partisan to make such considerations...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 10:50:41 PM »

I'd hate to think were going the way of Ohio, but it's looking ever more possible.

Even if you guys do defeat Santorum...your party as far as PA goes is brain dead...you've needed two guys to run on their name rather than any democratic policy.

Any competent democratic party would have taken santorum out in 2000, or even kept him out in 94.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 10:53:38 PM »

In the best of all possible worlds, Democrats would pick up seats like PA, MT, MO, AZ, and OH.  If dems had a chance at such sweeping gains in other states, I would be perfectly happy to see Chaffee retain his seat, Kean pick up the seat in NJ and Steele pick up Maryland.  I think having the republican party represented by such figures is good for the nation by making the Republican party more moderate/sane.

Except Steele is not a moderate. He is far more right wing than Ehlrich, who has moved significantly to the right lately. Just because he's black doesn't make him moderate. Hell, he was the former state party chairman, how many of those are moderate?
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 10:59:56 PM »

Perhaps he's a bit of a right winger.  By virtue of representing maryland, though, if he were to win, he'd have to show some moderation to keep his seat....but perhaps he's too extreme to win in the first place and cardin is a good guy and a solid democrat...so, yeah, perhaps I shouldnt include Steele...alongside Chaffee/Kean/snowe,etc...
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 10:58:21 AM »

Perhaps he's a bit of a right winger.  By virtue of representing maryland, though, if he were to win, he'd have to show some moderation to keep his seat....but perhaps he's too extreme to win in the first place and cardin is a good guy and a solid democrat...so, yeah, perhaps I shouldnt include Steele...alongside Chaffee/Kean/snowe,etc...

This is one of the main reasons Im not all that worried about Steele.  He'll have to keep a very moderate voting record or he'll have one-term written all over him. 

Van Hollen could always knock him off in 2012.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies