Are you afraid of death? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are you afraid of death? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you afraid of death?
Yes.
A bit.
No.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Are you afraid of death?  (Read 11664 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 24, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

Thing is, study after study has shown that people's happiness depends not so much on their absolute well-being, but upon their relative well-being.

The clearest example I can think of is a study the U.S.Army did in WWII. The brass was worried that morale for black soldiers would be worse for those on bases in the segregated south than in the north because of the added social restrictions they faced there when they went on leave. Objectively, black soldiers stationed in the north were better off than those stationed in the south. Turned out that those soldiers didn't base their happiness on what happened to themselves alone. Those in the south had higher morale than those in the north. They compared their lot to that of southern black civilians and felt pretty good about their lot because it was much better than their comparison group. Conversely, the economic opportunities the war brought northern black civilians meant that black troops stationed in the north felt they were worse off than those they compared themselves to, so their morale turned out to be lower.

Thinking on this, I now realize why class stratification tends to occur. It gives everyone except those in the lowest class a chance to feel better about themselves than they otherwise would, simply because they are in a better class. So long as one can keep that lowest class small, class stratification might actually be an overall good for society, if happiness is your measure of good.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »

Dying. After that I won't care, because I won't exist.

How does one simply "cease to exist"?

"I"--his conscious being. Kalwejt, an atheist, believes there is nothing after this.

Yet even tho Kal believes that one does not exist after a certain point in time, he still exists at this point in time and hence he exists.  It's not as if I would cease being an American because I took a trip overseas, or even chose to live overseas fulltime, never returning to these shores. That is why I am not afraid of death, since even if there be no such thing as the soul, my death will not end my existence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies