Are you afraid of death?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:19:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are you afraid of death?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Are you afraid of death?
Yes.
A bit.
No.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Are you afraid of death?  (Read 11657 times)
Greatest I am
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2016, 03:42:48 PM »

Don't write like an idiot and I won't.

Regards
DL

You know, maybe you know more about Gnosticism than I give you credit for. You certainly have the self-congratulatory, snobbish, unwarranted self-importance and belief that you know better than everyone else and if they disagree with you or don't understand what you're trying to say then they must be drooling morons down pat.

Also, you absolutely implied that you think good is a privation of evil and you know it, edgelord.

Regards
NT

Get the quote or be seen for what you are.

Regards
DL
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »

Regards
DL

You know, maybe you know more about Gnosticism than I give you credit for. You certainly have the self-congratulatory, snobbish, unwarranted self-importance and belief that you know better than everyone else and if they disagree with you or don't understand what you're trying to say then they must be drooling morons down pat.

Also, you absolutely implied that you think good is a privation of evil and you know it, edgelord.

Regards
NT

Regards
DL

lol kay

Regards
NT
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »

Regards
DL

Regards
NT

Regards
DL

I can assure you, someone in this discussion is definitely not making himself look very good.

Regards
AV
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »

All of you get a room.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »

I rescind my earlier statement. Death is the only respite.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2016, 12:38:06 AM »

Outrageous to see Augustine - one of the greatest and most influential minds in history - mentioned in the same breath as noted idiot G.E. Moore who is known these days, to the extent that he is known at all, for being wrong about pretty much everything...

It's been a long time since I sat down and read Moore or his critics, and the work I have read is mostly from within Moore's lifetime. What's more wrong with him than with other philosophers of the period?

I'd still like Al to elaborate here, if he has any interest in coming back to this.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »

No because I have trusted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and recognize him as the one true path to Heaven.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »

No because I have trusted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and recognize him as the one true path to Heaven.

Care to comment on the following?

Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

As Ingersoll said; 'no man would be fit for heaven who would consent that an innocent person should suffer for his sin.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNup9gEBdg&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20 (ESV) The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

Would you punish an innocent son while allowing the guilty one to go unpunished?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2016, 11:47:45 AM »

Try English my friend.

Regards
DL

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2016, 08:32:02 PM »

Dying. After that I won't care, because I won't exist.

How does one simply "cease to exist"?

"I"--his conscious being. Kalwejt, an atheist, believes there is nothing after this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »

"I"--his conscious being. Kalwejt, an atheist, believes there is nothing after this.

Yet even tho Kal believes that one does not exist after a certain point in time, he still exists at this point in time and hence he exists.  It's not as if I would cease being an American because I took a trip overseas, or even chose to live overseas fulltime, never returning to these shores. That is why I am not afraid of death, since even if there be no such thing as the soul, my death will not end my existence.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »

No I'm not afraid, but I"m sure as hell in no hurry......

33 years ago this month, in a dingy hospital room in a very old section of the Cleveland Clinic, death and I got a tad too close.  I was fully expecting never to leave there, under my own power I mean.  After a month of declining a literal last minute surgery saved my bacon. 

It's too hard to describe, but there is an "acceptance" if you will, or there was for me, but I wouldn't call it a peace or anything like that.....you just deal with what you think is inevitable.   Perhaps because I just felt I'd better accept it, because thinking about leaving a wife and 2 year old behind was wearing on me as much as my physical ailments.

When the time comes I hope I don't have to go through the thought process of dying again.......just end it fast, please.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »

Yet even tho Kal believes that one does not exist after a certain point in time, he still exists at this point in time and hence he exists.  It's not as if I would cease being an American because I took a trip overseas, or even chose to live overseas fulltime, never returning to these shores. That is why I am not afraid of death, since even if there be no such thing as the soul, my death will not end my existence.

How about "no longer exists as a conscious being"?
The Puppeteer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2021, 11:48:34 PM »

I'm not afraid of death. I'm more afraid of dying without ever having really lived.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2021, 08:42:00 PM by Torie »

Heavens no. I have my time, and so far, despite the troubles that I have had, and most of us will have, it has been a rewarding and worthwhile run for me, but it must end eventually.  I also value the quality of life, so I don't want to live in a twilight existence. And I don't believe in a literal after life. When it's the end, it's the end. I hope for those who were my friends and lovers and partners, that they consider overall that I was good to them and my troop. That is good enough for me.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2021, 10:48:31 AM »

Not as afraid as I am of the people I love dying.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2021, 02:23:20 AM »

Heavens no. I have my time, and so far, despite the troubles that I have had, and most of us will have, it has been a rewarding and worthwhile run for me, but it must end eventually.  I also value the quality of life, so I don't want to live in a twilight existence. And I don't believe in a literal after life. When it's the end, it's the end. I hope for those who were my friends and lovers and partners, that they consider overall that I was good to them and my troop. That is good enough for me.

I hope you don’t plan on leaving us anytime soon, Torie.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2021, 02:29:17 AM »

Heavens no. I have my time, and so far, despite the troubles that I have had, and most of us will have, it has been a rewarding and worthwhile run for me, but it must end eventually.  I also value the quality of life, so I don't want to live in a twilight existence. And I don't believe in a literal after life. When it's the end, it's the end. I hope for those who were my friends and lovers and partners, that they consider overall that I was good to them and my troop. That is good enough for me.

I hope you don’t plan on leaving us anytime soon, Torie.
Torie is a great poster. You can't change my mind, even with a map with maximum erosity.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2021, 03:33:02 AM »

Outrageous to see Augustine - one of the greatest and most influential minds in history - mentioned in the same breath as noted idiot G.E. Moore who is known these days, to the extent that he is known at all, for being wrong about pretty much everything...
Midgley has high praise for Moore - one of two people she commonly cites - so to hear him dismissed so easily is rather shocking.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2021, 08:03:15 PM »

I’m deathly afraid
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2021, 05:51:48 PM »

How can you be afraid and every night we go to the Astral plane while reawakening, since we are living longer, I am not afraid as I used to be, and time in the Astral plane isn't the same as on Earth

Meaning a Rapture or Reincarnation shorter than here on Earth
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2021, 09:22:22 PM »

Nah. I was dead for 14 billion years before I was born and it didn't really bother me then.
Socani
Rookie
Mexico
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2021, 07:28:21 PM »

A bit, but it is in our physical nature to be afraid of what is not visible or tangible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies