Are you afraid of death?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:56:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are you afraid of death?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Are you afraid of death?
Yes.
A bit.
No.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Are you afraid of death?  (Read 11663 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 05:54:39 AM »

It will happen no matter what, but diseases have been eliminated to some extent and people are exceeding life expectancy
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that I'm a living creature striving to survive for as long as possible and death is the ever present obstacle challenging that goal. No in the sense that I couldn't care less about death once I'm actually dead. Fearing death is for the living.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2016, 06:38:03 PM by Senator Scott »

I've never been afraid of death.  While the way I die is of course always a concern of mine (which ties into my fear of how long I'm actually going to live), the prospect of death itself never concerned me in the past and now I actually find the idea comforting and even inviting, whether I'm correct in that most if not all of us eventually find paradise on our own spiritual terms or if the atheists are right and nothing happens beyond our physical selves decaying in the ground, either fate precluding us from all future pain and suffering in this life.

And if both theories are wrong and I'm damned to eternal hellfire after this life, I understand that I'm just one of many who deserve it.  I suppose I'd say my own goals have shifted from seeking paradise to simply avoiding as much future suffering as I can, because being idealistic for the sake of being idealistic is fruitless at best and destructive at worst.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2016, 07:49:49 PM »

No, and honestly, I don't get the obsession people have with living as long as possible.  Why would I want to spend 100 years in a world filled with pain and suffering when I can spend an eternity in a perfect world with my God?
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2016, 07:29:02 AM »

No, and honestly, I don't get the obsession people have with living as long as possible.  Why would I want to spend 100 years in a world filled with pain and suffering when I can spend an eternity in a perfect world with my God?

What makes you think there is more pain and suffering than good in the world?

I track the stats for evil. Murder and death by violence and war, poverty, longevity, crime and slavery.

All those are at the best levels that mankind has ever seen.

So why do you see more evil than good?

Could it be the way you are looking and not reality?

Regards
DL
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »

No, and honestly, I don't get the obsession people have with living as long as possible.  Why would I want to spend 100 years in a world filled with pain and suffering when I can spend an eternity in a perfect world with my God?

I track the stats for evil. Murder and death by violence and war, poverty, longevity, crime and slavery.

Regards
DL
Weird comment. He didn't say it is worse than before. He simply says there is a lot of pain and suffering in the world. Do you disagree?

Regards
David
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »

No

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »

Nothing scares me more than the prospect of nothingness, so yes, I do fear death. At times the feeling can be overwhelming, although I get better at overcoming it as time goes by.

Of course, being a non believer and having a streak of skepticism and pessimism regarding religion and life after death really doesn't help with the feeling at all.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »

Let's just say I'm not very happy about the whole nonexistence thing that follows.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »

No, and honestly, I don't get the obsession people have with living as long as possible.  Why would I want to spend 100 years in a world filled with pain and suffering when I can spend an eternity in a perfect world with my God?

Regards
DL
Weird comment. He didn't say it is worse than before. He simply says there is a lot of pain and suffering in the world. Do you disagree?

Regards
David

When compared to the amount of good, yes.

When not compared to the good, and ignoring that per capita things used to be a lot worse for us, then of course there is suffering in the world but I would not say a lot per capita.

This link tries to put a realistic comedic spin to the overblown opinions to the contrary out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oww4Ap3YZA

Further to why I see things as getting so much better, per capita.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21578665-nearly-1-billion-people-have-been-taken-out-extreme-poverty-20-years-world-should-aim

Regards
DL
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »

Regards
DL

Regards
David

When not compared to the good, and ignoring that per capita things used to be a lot worse for us, then of course there is suffering in the world but I would not say a lot per capita.

This link tries to put a realistic comedic spin to the overblown opinions to the contrary out there.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21578665-nearly-1-billion-people-have-been-taken-out-extreme-poverty-20-years-world-should-aim

Regards
DL

Not all pain and suffering caused by being in this ephemeral world is quantifiable by the [Inks]ing Economist. One would think a Gnostic would understand that.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2016, 04:45:46 PM »

Regards
DL

Regards
David

Regards
DL

Not all pain and suffering caused by being in this ephemeral world is quantifiable by the [Inks]ing Economist. One would think a Gnostic would understand that.

I do and made that clear in my response.

Thanks for recognizing the thinking potential in Gnostic Christianity.

Regards
DL
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »

Attempting to speak of 'suffering per capita', in the sense that Oldiesfreak means 'suffering', isn't really indicative of understanding it, but okay.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

Thing is, study after study has shown that people's happiness depends not so much on their absolute well-being, but upon their relative well-being.

The clearest example I can think of is a study the U.S.Army did in WWII. The brass was worried that morale for black soldiers would be worse for those on bases in the segregated south than in the north because of the added social restrictions they faced there when they went on leave. Objectively, black soldiers stationed in the north were better off than those stationed in the south. Turned out that those soldiers didn't base their happiness on what happened to themselves alone. Those in the south had higher morale than those in the north. They compared their lot to that of southern black civilians and felt pretty good about their lot because it was much better than their comparison group. Conversely, the economic opportunities the war brought northern black civilians meant that black troops stationed in the north felt they were worse off than those they compared themselves to, so their morale turned out to be lower.

Thinking on this, I now realize why class stratification tends to occur. It gives everyone except those in the lowest class a chance to feel better about themselves than they otherwise would, simply because they are in a better class. So long as one can keep that lowest class small, class stratification might actually be an overall good for society, if happiness is your measure of good.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »

Thing is, study after study has shown that people's happiness depends not so much on their absolute well-being, but upon their relative well-being.

The clearest example I can think of is a study the U.S.Army did in WWII. The brass was worried that morale for black soldiers would be worse for those on bases in the segregated south than in the north because of the added social restrictions they faced there when they went on leave. Objectively, black soldiers stationed in the north were better off than those stationed in the south. Turned out that those soldiers didn't base their happiness on what happened to themselves alone. Those in the south had higher morale than those in the north. They compared their lot to that of southern black civilians and felt pretty good about their lot because it was much better than their comparison group. Conversely, the economic opportunities the war brought northern black civilians meant that black troops stationed in the north felt they were worse off than those they compared themselves to, so their morale turned out to be lower.

Thinking on this, I now realize why class stratification tends to occur. It gives everyone except those in the lowest class a chance to feel better about themselves than they otherwise would, simply because they are in a better class. So long as one can keep that lowest class small, class stratification might actually be an overall good for society, if happiness is your measure of good.

Interesting.

By taking that full billion out of poverty, the world gave them the opportunity for education, medical care and a longer life span.

Those that would have been dead likely would not be happy and are likely quite happy to be alive in their situation and that is nice for the overall society.

Check the health part of this presentation.

https://www.gapminder.org/downloads/human-development-trends-2005/

Regards
DL
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »

Regards
DL
I don't necessarily think that there's more bad than good in the world; I simply don't see why I would want to spend 100 or more years in a world where evil exists when I can spend eternity in a world where it doesn't.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »

Regards
DL
I don't necessarily think that there's more bad than good in the world; I simply don't see why I would want to spend 100 or more years in a world where evil exists when I can spend eternity in a world where it doesn't.

What makes you think that heaven has no evil?
Have you forgotten that that heaven is where Satan is said to have come from?

Regards
DL
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

What is even your point here?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Heaven = paradise.  Paradise = no evil.  Satan = evil.  Therefore, Satan = not in Heaven.

Regards
Scott
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

maek u think
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

What is even your point here?

That evil is in heaven as well as everywhere else.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Heaven = paradise.  Paradise = no evil.  Satan = evil.  Therefore, Satan = not in Heaven.

Regards
Scott

Your answer = untruth.

Where was Satan born or created if not in heaven?

Regards
DL
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Regards
Scott

Your answer = untruth.

Where was Satan born or created if not in heaven?

Regards
DL

Heaven, as opposed to?

Regards
Scott
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »

Can't even recant gracefully. How sad for you.

Regards
DL
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »

Can't even recant gracefully. How sad for you.

Regards
DL

I wasn't recanting.

Regards
Scott
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies