538 Model Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:45:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 49
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 85111 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 04, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »

Most of the adjustments do come from trend lines. That isn't unreasonable in itself but I think the problem is that these trend lines are largely derived from all the dumb trackers. And that's where they gain undue influence. The last few days the model has been insane, IMO. Most of the win probability adjustments have been going the wrong way.

Lol, no. If there were no Trump's surge (temporary/artificial or not), we would not see polls from a reputable pollsters showing tie races in CO/NH/NV/FL.

Just for 2 weeks ago, Trump was trailing in most state polls by 3-7% points.

There has clearly been a Trump surge over the past two weeks.  It's starting to look like it reached a peak and has perhaps ebbed a bit.  From Nate Silver:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1001 on: November 04, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »

Clinton is up for the day in the nowcast for the first time since October 26th.

Yeah. The race seems to stabilize. Clinton might even regain a bit.

But it will be one more NH polls tonight. From "B" UMassLowell. If it will be Trump-frienldy, he could gane again.

Difference between 538/Upshot over time.

Predictwise has similarly shown a similar chart in relation to 538. This is why I think Silver's model is useful, it just exagerates trends in comparison to the others
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1002 on: November 04, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

Predictwise has similarly shown a similar chart in relation to 538. This is why I think Silver's model is useful, it just exagerates trends in comparison to the others

Yeah.

I think, that this election is sooo negative-news driven, that their model is too quick. They should add news-bump prediction (as Post-Convention Bump in polls-plus), hehe Tongue
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1003 on: November 04, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »

Clinton's 99.9th Percentile:

Clinton's 99th Percentile:

Clinton's 95th Percentile:

Clinton's 90th Percentile:

Clinton's 75th Percentile:

Clinton's 67th Percentile:

The 50th Percentile:

Trump's 67th Percentile (a narrow Trump win):

Trump's 80th Percentile:

Trump's 90th Percentile:

Trump's 95th Percentile:

Trump's 99th Percentile:

Trump's 99.9th Percentile:
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1004 on: November 04, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »

Sad News from Texas
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1005 on: November 04, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »

Ok... I'm annoyed by this. 1 poll from UT comes in, with Trump up 7, and the national probability of his winning goes UP 1.3%. That's a ridiculous amount of over sensitivity.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #1006 on: November 04, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »

Talk about polarization. Currently the polls-plus models for both President and Senate have every state with a Senate race voting for the same party for both offices. Every Clinton state voting for a Democratic Senator, and every Trump state for a Republican Senator.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1007 on: November 04, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2016, 02:11:51 PM by Happy Sad Trumpista »

Ok... I'm annoyed by this. 1 poll from UT comes in, with Trump up 7, and the national probability of his winning goes UP 1.3%. That's a ridiculous amount of over sensitivity.

Mr. Morden explained, but had misstake about on average. I think.

I don't think you need that to explain it.  As I said, shifts or around ~0.5% in the win probability are going to happen even when you don't add any new polls at all, simply because of statistical noise.  And that's an average.  Sometimes the "phantom shifts," that cannot be explained by any particular poll, are larger than that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1008 on: November 04, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »

I see the junk polls have erased Clinton's bounce.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1009 on: November 04, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »

Poor, poor Nate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1010 on: November 04, 2016, 02:23:57 PM »

We have less polls this year (and 2012 was less than 2008) because 'who needs polls, we have the models', which in turn leads to less polls going into the model and polls designed to impact upon the model. There needs to be something like the British Polling Council; if you're not signed up and you're not transparent, then it's not counted as a poll.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1011 on: November 04, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2016, 02:51:38 PM by Happy Sad Trumpista »

Lol, it was a lot of deplorables polls coming during an hour Shocked

(((Harry Enten))) ‏@ForecasterEnten  41m41 minutes ago
So we got John Yob's firm (the guy who tried to takeover the Virgin Islands GOP), Trafalgar Group, and Zia Poll with new state polls today.

Jon FavreauVerified account
‏@jonfavs
@ForecasterEnten are you guys concerned about how many garbage vs high quality polls are getting thrown in the model this week?

(((Harry Enten))) ‏@ForecasterEnten  3m3 minutes ago
@jonfavs I mean I am.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1012 on: November 04, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »

Mr. Morden explained, but had misstake about on average. I think.

I don't think you need that to explain it.  As I said, shifts or around ~0.5% in the win probability are going to happen even when you don't add any new polls at all, simply because of statistical noise.  And that's an average.  Sometimes the "phantom shifts," that cannot be explained by any particular poll, are larger than that.

What's wrong with what I said about 0.5% being an average?  That's around the average shift you'd expect when you run a second set of 10,000 simulations with the exact same polls.  Do you disagree?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1013 on: November 04, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »

What's wrong with what I said about 0.5% being an average?  That's around the average shift you'd expect when you run a second set of 10,000 simulations with the exact same polls.  Do you disagree?

IDk, it sounded to me as you were talking about mean when you say "the average shift". The mean of shift should be zero.
Or were you talking about abs(mean) or variance/std?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1014 on: November 04, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2016, 03:47:14 PM by Erc »

What's wrong with what I said about 0.5% being an average?  That's around the average shift you'd expect when you run a second set of 10,000 simulations with the exact same polls.  Do you disagree?

IDk, it sounded to me as you were talking about mean when you say "the average shift". The mean of shift should be zero.

I assume he means root mean square, which in this case should work out to sqrt(2) * the usual standard deviation for sample proportion.  That usual standard deviation is sqrt(p * (1-p) / N), which for p=.643 in the polls-only and N = 10000, is 0.5 percentage points.  Multiplying that by the sqrt(2) factor gives 0.7 percentage points.

A bit more math if you like:

The difference between two independent runs of a normally-distributed random variable with some mean \mu and some standard deviation \sigma is itself a normally-distributed random variable with mean 0 and standard deviation \sqrt(2) * \sigma.

What this means in practice is that, at the moment, 68% of the time the (statistical error only) shift between simulation runs should be less than 0.7 percentage points, and 95% of the time it should be less than 1.4 percentage points.

If you are seeing shifts of 1.4 percentage points more than 5% of the time that means:

1) The poll updates are actually having an effect (which is why they are put into the model in the first place, of course).

and/or

2) You're cherry-picking (consciously or not) the large shifts.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1015 on: November 04, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »

Are they junk polls though?

Also, I noticed something. HRC's at 64%, but every state in her Freiwal is over 70% except for New Hampshire. Thats only because the model sees Nevada as a toss-up; so the overall numbers are deflated just because of that.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1016 on: November 04, 2016, 03:33:11 PM »

Yes, yes they are.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1017 on: November 04, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

Also, I noticed something. HRC's at 64%, but every state in her Freiwal is over 70% except for New Hampshire. Thats only because the model sees Nevada as a toss-up; so the overall numbers are deflated just because of that.

Exactly.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1018 on: November 04, 2016, 03:41:16 PM »

I assume he means root mean square, which in this case should work out to sqrt(2) * the usual standard deviation for sample proportion.

Explicitly, that's sqrt(2 * p * (1-p) / N), with N the number of trials.  With p currently .643 in the polls only and N=10000, that's an rms average shift of 0.67 percentage points per rerunning of the simulations.

Oh, so embarassing! Of course, it was from run to run. My bad.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1019 on: November 04, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »

*sigh* The thing I dislike most about 538 (aside from the Nevada sh**t) is that their pollster ratings seem to be off and they let junk polls junk up their forecast
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1020 on: November 04, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »

Nate is getting salty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Dowd @matthewjdowd
How do sketchy states polls have more impact on "data" odds sites (like 538) in this election than actual early vote results?  Bizarre.

Nate Silver @NateSilver538
32s
Next time we'll try the tried-and-true method of making sh**t up as we go along.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1021 on: November 04, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »

Somehow, a Clinton +18 VA poll helped Trump's chances (combined with a T+6 UT poll).  I guess they view Virginia as gone and say that that means Clinton is wasting a ton of her popular vote there? 
elcorazon

« Reply #1022 on: November 04, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »

Somehow, a Clinton +18 VA poll helped Trump's chances (combined with a T+6 UT poll).  I guess they view Virginia as gone and say that that means Clinton is wasting a ton of her popular vote there? 
I get the logic but I don't believe the model works that way
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1023 on: November 04, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »

Again, it is pointless to read anything into shifts in win probability of a few tenths of a percent, since such shifts could simply be due to random chance in the simulations rather than any real change in outcome of the model being introduced by the latest polls.
Moderate Pennsylvanian
Rookie

« Reply #1024 on: November 04, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »

Again, it is pointless to read anything into shifts in win probability of a few tenths of a percent, since such shifts could simply be due to random chance in the simulations rather than any real change in outcome of the model being introduced by the latest polls.

In this case, I think it was because of the trend line. The +18 Roanoke College poll was Oct. 25-28, but a more recent (Oct. 29-Nov. 1) Roanoke College poll had already been posted that had Clinton +7.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies