Minnesota is stupid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:06:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Minnesota is stupid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnesota is stupid  (Read 1251 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »

While other states are trying to simplify their their nominee selection process, Minnesota has gone the other way and made theirs even more complicated, as a "compromise".

http://www.dl-online.com/opinion/editorials/4059938-mn-gains-primaries-keeps-caucuses

In addition to a presidential primary organized by the state, Minnesota will keep having presidential caucuses organized by the parties. This is the Washington State/Nebraska system that everyone agreed was stupid.

I'm kind of surprised this wasn't already the case though, as Minnesota already uses the awful dual system to elect all other officials in the state. Party "conventions" are held to determine who gets to be the "official party endorsed candidate" but then the party endorsed candidate has to face whoever in a primary after that. The governor, senators, representatives, st senators, state reps, and all state constitutional officers are all elected this way.

Anyway, this is really really terrible and I think the DFL should be kicked out of the Democratic Party until they stop being idiots.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sad
Desroko
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »

Yeah, you're not helping, Minnesota.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 11:06:20 AM by Erc »

Haven't read the text of the bill, but I'd assume it's up to the parties as to how they want to bind their delegates (based on the primaries or the caucuses).

On the Republican side, the state party (thanks to a close vote at this year's convention) gets to set the rules for delegate binding/allocation, and they are free (and likely to) base it on the primaries.

On the DFL side, I don't know, but given the mood this year, I'd imagine they'll base the allocation on the primaries.

As a result, I imagine it will end up more like Georgia, where the caucuses do delegate selection, but the primaries will bind and allocate the delegates.  The primary will be what matters (barring a contested convention), it's what the media will cover and what voters will go to.

Don't freak out, Minnesota (presumably) knows what it's doing.

EDIT: The delegates are required to be bound by the primary, so this is a good move for everyone.  This is not a Washington/Nebraska-style system.
cwt

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

EDIT: The delegates are required to be bound by the primary, so this is a good move for everyone.  This is not a Washington/Nebraska-style system.

I think that is how the Washington GOP does it, not the Washington Dems, of course.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »

This sounds more confusing than caucuses by themselves and could easily marginalize either the caucus participants or primary voters.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »

As long as the delegates are bound by the primary, I don't see what's so bad about it. It's not like they switched to the Nebraska/Washington system of an irrelevant primary, or the former Texas system where half the delegates were allocated by the primary and half by the caucus.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »

I just replied to a similar post on a different thread but I will repeat myself here.

Delegates are bound by the primary, other party business is conducted at the caucus.  Nothing unusual about that.

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »

This is not how Nebraska or Washington does it.

This is how literally every primary state does it.

If you personally want to be a delegate to the convention, you show up to a precinct/CD/state caucus/convention a week or so after the primary determines how many candidates in a given CD/precinct/state (if you want to be an at large del).

Minnesota just adopted a primary system.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies