Pennsylvania - Casey tries balances left and right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:53:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania - Casey tries balances left and right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania - Casey tries balances left and right  (Read 1397 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2005, 07:31:38 PM »

From The Hill:

To unseat Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), state Treasurer Bob Casey (D) must win over hoards of conservative voters like those in this Laurel Mountain hamlet without losing big-money liberals.

Voters here in the southwestern part of the state form much of the backbone of Santorum’s base — truck drivers, waitresses, housekeepers at nearby ski resorts, farmers’ and coal miners’ kids working in construction or at the state penitentiaries.

Around here, as most everyone is quick to say, people care about kitchen-table issues — Who’s going to pay their hospital bills? What happens if they get laid off? Will Social Security be there when I need it?

All of which means that Casey, known for backing gun rights, opposing abortion and siding with labor unions, has a fighting chance of winning here — or, at least, holding down Santorum’s margins as he seeks a third term.

The only problem for the Democrat is that Casey can’t afford to capture, say, Murtha’s 12th District at the expense of alienating wealthy liberal Democratic donors in Philadelphia. Should he do so, Casey runs the risk of going the way of former Rep. Ron Klink, the centrist Democrat who unsuccessfully challenged Santorum in 2000.

Many Democrats hope Casey’s conservative stances on key social issues will neutralize Santorum’s strength among rural voters and force the senator to talk about Social Security, the economy and Medicare — which, Democrats say, works to their advantage.

Tensions among Democrats have been exacerbated by party leaders, including Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC), “anointing” Casey, Murtha said. Chuck Pennachio, a Philadelphia professor making a long-shot bid for the Democratic Senate nomination, also could create headaches for Casey.

In this place, people often feel forgotten or hopeless. Buying a house or a used car or escaping the sand trap of a small town with a minimart, two or three gas stations and few long-term prospects is a distant dream. A trip to the hospital often means financial ruin. In Somerset, like other Rust Belt towns in Pennsylvania, faith in God and country holds people together.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:28:51 PM »

I think this article is kinda silly.  All Casey needs to do is get the same Democratic vote John Kerry or Al Gore would get, which, imo, should be easy. 

He's just going to get extra helpings of good ol' fashioned working class dems as well....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 11:31:47 PM »

I think this article is kinda silly.  All Casey needs to do is get the same Democratic vote John Kerry or Al Gore would get, which, imo, should be easy. 

It's not that easy for Democrats in this state that run for statewide positions but for Casey, it wouldn't be all that hard.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 10:41:58 PM »

It's not that easy for Democrats in this state that run for statewide positions but for Casey, it wouldn't be all that hard.

Well, yeah...that's what I was trying to say.  Indeed, Pennsylvania is often a tough state for dems... Casey, meanwhile, starts out in a very good position....I just hope he keeps it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 10:46:38 PM »

We're hoping a mix of fundraising, charisma, and liberal challengers will weaken Casey enough. Possible, maybe even likely. Wait and see.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 11:01:22 AM »

Well, yeah...that's what I was trying to say.  Indeed, Pennsylvania is often a tough state for dems... Casey, meanwhile, starts out in a very good position....I just hope he keeps it.

I guess James Carville was right...

"There's Philadelphia, there's Pittsburgh and everything else between is Alabama."
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 11:33:29 AM »

More West Virginia in some places, but yep.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 12:48:27 PM »

Laurel Mountain Borough is a small hamlet in what is  euphemistically known as "East Prussia" in Westmoreland County.  :-)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 12:25:24 AM »

I must say that I am very happy that a pro-life, pro-gun rights DEMOCRAT is running in Pennsylvania (probably anyway)

I happen to disagree with him on one of these issues, but it is really nice to seea major membor of the Democratic party break away from the Litmus test / special interest driven orthodoxy that has dominated the Dems of late (to be fair the GOP has it's litmus tests and special interests too in about the same measure)

There are dozens of issues, and I think it is great for Casey to run on a platform where he "only" agrees with say 26 oput of 30, or howevere many litmus tests there now are to be a "real" democrat.

Any pro-choice, pro gun control GOP candidates in thewwings?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 12:28:26 AM »

Any pro-choice, pro gun control GOP candidates in thewwings?

To challenge Santorum in a Primary? No way.

If, however, he was to announce he is retiring/running for Governor, you might see one emerge.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies