House Legislation Introduction Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:38:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  House Legislation Introduction Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 106718 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: January 05, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »

Interesting bill.

Would this be retroactive for currently confined prisoners?

Also how is the length of confinement in rehab determined?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »

Would it be possible for me to submit something and ask for it to be held until the next house session?

Just say you are pre-filing.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »

Well, if you guys want to obstruct, we'll just change the rules:

-snip-

And if Labor or Peace reps don't utilize those slots, as is common with them in the House? Why should we promote an inactive legislature? The house rules already prevents a small number of representatives from taking up all the slots, in fact, it's in the very same section you quoted (I'll even color it in for you):

Quote from:  House Rules
b) The first ten open threads shall be open to all legislations initially regarding bills, resolutions or constitutional amendments. If the sponsor already has two or more pieces legislation on the House floor, legislation from Representatives who do not shall take priority until all such other legislation is completed. The Speaker shall be the president officer for these open threads.

Couple things:
1. You should be more concerned about Labor/Peace reps that aren't doing their jobs, not people who are. They're the real problem.
2. I know you just got elected to the House, but please do the legislature (and yourself) a favor and get to know the rules. Reading/understanding them is part of your job.

If you didn't complain when dfw and MB posted a bunch of bills here, you have no business complaining about other reps doing so. Complaining about a healthy legislature that has plenty of bills to discuss just makes you look lazy.

Under the current version of the rules, you can make it such that there are 8 bills from the Minority and 2 bills from the Majority on the floor, as you guys have 4 reps and each of you is allowed 2 bills. I'm aware such a situation has occurred under previous leftist speakers such as Pericles, but it is not what should happen. We will be proposing bills, but we will not be recycling from what x region just did or writing a series of two dozen bills in a single morning.

If the Majority chooses not to use some of their slots at any given time, they remain open, waiting for their use to be required. Same for the Minority.

That is insanely unhealthy for the game and unhealthy for the legislature to allow slots to remain unfilled simply because of who sponsors them. And need I remind you, violates one of your campaign promises.

All I promised was to not table or defeat Bills solely to punish. This doesn't do that. It simply ensures parity on the floor. All your Bills will still be considered, just at a pace that reflects that you guys are not the majority.

You also fail to realize by intentionally slowing down the pace in the House, you are hurting the legacy of Laborites in power.

Don't you want whoever is Speaker to preside over potentially the most active Congress, and Adam to potentially hold the record for most bills signed? You can't achieve that by slowing down the flow of bills in Congress.

If 80% of the Bills signed come from Federalists, Griffin will look like a fool, just like Pericles did when something like 84% of Bills considered under his speakership were written by Fed or Alliance.

Both sides have abused the queue in the past yes, but your side does it more, and it's time someone ensured parity in this body.

Breaking records doesn't make anyone look like a fool. Unlike you, Pericles was smart enough to acknowledge that.

And last I checked, you don't speak for Adam. nor do you speak for whoever is speaker next Congress at this point. You aren't the person who can or should be making that decision.

I mean, if the bill passes and is good party label shouldnt matter. If its a bad bill it wont pass both houses and be signed. If it is a good bill and yall torpedo it over authorship thats some pretty awful governance. Most of these bill ideas were selected and authored with the expectation of bipartisan support which is why MB was willing to sponsor some. I mean lets look at the queue.

We have dumb reg repeals which until the last 3 more or less always had bipartisan support. Despite the labor senators refusing to debate or consider the last 3 bills in good faith, we nonetheless as a show of continuing good faith adopted the later recommendations of those labor senators who complained that the bills were too long and not broken into bills based on subject matter. Ok we're breaking them them up now and basing the grouping on theme ... now you're saying there are TOO MANY bills, that we need to consolidate them ... thats literally the opposite instruction of the labor legislators from 2 weeks ago. If we cant have big bills or small bills you are basically saying dont do anything. Dont think, dont speak, dont do your job. Thats unconscionable and an abandonment of the public duty imposed on elected legislators.

We have 2 bills by alancia on the floor, 1 has already received bipartisan support for having the Library of Congress do more and the other cuts wasteful military weapons that lefties normally foam at the mouth to cut.

We have criminal reform bills furthering a movement towards rehabilitation and away from the prison state which lefties often introduce and support.

We have bills reducing the deficit without cutting social spending as well as a bill to expand food stamps eligibility and more effectively screen out welfare cheats who deprive truly eligible persons of benefits.

We have a bill on emergency evacuations during a disaster. We have a bill increasing the number of environmental regulations the government has to comply with. We have a bill proposing a Malcolm X commemorative coin for Christ's sake.

We have a bill to empower the courts and congress on regulatory process, even though last time I checked the right does not control these institutions we wish to empower.

We have bills on trade and immigration featuring ideas backed by the laborite President elect. We are even working on a social security reform plan that eliminates the payroll tax cap, again something the President elect supports.

If yall cant be bothered to engage in real policy discussion, what is the point of a legislature? Literally identifying special parties by name for special treatment is not only unfair and repugnant to the spirit of legislative unity, its also really stupid. A year ago the Labor party didn't even exist. Under your rule if labor ceased to exist because of PUP pt. 2 and Peace had 1 seat, what then?

Why not actually write bills instead of punishing those who do? Not one of the bills you complain about are illegitimate or poorly written. Literally ratifying partisanship into the rules ... cant see how that does anything but make the 2 party hegemony more pronounced and confrontational.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »

I mean, if the bill passes and is good party label shouldnt matter. If its a bad bill it wont pass both houses and be signed. If it is a good bill and yall torpedo it over authorship thats some pretty awful governance. Most of these bill ideas were selected and authored with the expectation of bipartisan support which is why MB was willing to sponsor some. I mean lets look at the queue.

We have dumb reg repeals which until the last 3 more or less always had bipartisan support. Despite the labor senators refusing to debate or consider the last 3 bills in good faith, we nonetheless as a show of continuing good faith adopted the later recommendations of those labor senators who complained that the bills were too long and not broken into bills based on subject matter. Ok we're breaking them them up now and basing the grouping on theme ... now you're saying there are TOO MANY bills, that we need to consolidate them ... thats literally the opposite instruction of the labor legislators from 2 weeks ago. If we cant have big bills or small bills you are basically saying dont do anything. Dont think, dont speak, dont do your job. Thats unconscionable and an abandonment of the public duty imposed on elected legislators.

We have 2 bills by alancia on the floor, 1 has already received bipartisan support for having the Library of Congress do more and the other cuts wasteful military weapons that lefties normally foam at the mouth to cut.

We have criminal reform bills furthering a movement towards rehabilitation and away from the prison state which lefties often introduce and support.

We have bills reducing the deficit without cutting social spending as well as a bill to expand food stamps eligibility and more effectively screen out welfare cheats who deprive truly eligible persons of benefits.

We have a bill on emergency evacuations during a disaster. We have a bill increasing the number of environmental regulations the government has to comply with. We have a bill proposing a Malcolm X commemorative coin for Christ's sake.

We have a bill to empower the courts and congress on regulatory process, even though last time I checked the right does not control these institutions we wish to empower.

We have bills on trade and immigration featuring ideas backed by the laborite President elect. We are even working on a social security reform plan that eliminates the payroll tax cap, again something the President elect supports.

If yall cant be bothered to engage in real policy discussion, what is the point of a legislature? Literally identifying special parties by name for special treatment is not only unfair and repugnant to the spirit of legislative unity, its also really stupid. A year ago the Labor party didn't even exist. Under your rule if labor ceased to exist because of PUP pt. 2 and Peace had 1 seat, what then?

Why not actually write bills instead of punishing those who do? Not one of the bills you complain about are illegitimate or poorly written. Literally ratifying partisanship into the rules ... cant see how that does anything but make the 2 party hegemony more pronounced and confrontational.

First of all, maybe we should move this discussion somewhere else in order not to clog up this thread.

Anyways, you can't deny it most definitely looks very suspicious when out of nowhere 20 bills pop up in the House queue.

Are you seriously going to tell me you came up with all these bills between the election's end and right now? Not to mention 4 people coming up with them!

Even if the intentions are good, you can't deny it looks awfully suspicious.

We can talk about this elsewhere.

But this is like the 5th or 6th time since ive joined where ive participated in preloading bills. My first week as a legislator i introduced 55 bills. I published a list of 30 bills prior to my 2nd full session starting. Wulfric can attest i i dropped 30 at once last winter. In the Senate I can think of two or 3 times when I wrote 20 at a time. I wrote DRRA 16 - 19 as a single 200 reg bill. MB has introduced like 10 bills this past week. Preloading isnt nefarious, its just good policy. It ensures you have content during inevitable real life conflicts. Thats good for an active legislature.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »

CULTS ARE BAD ACT

HOUSE BILL

Be it resolved in the Atlasian Congress Assembled,

SECTION 1.

1. This Act may be cited as the "Cults Are Bad Act”.

SECTION 2.

1. The organization known as the Church of Scientology and all entities connected to said group, may not be exempt from paying any federal taxes that would otherwise be placed on it.

Sorry. Discrimination amongst religions violates the establishment clause. And whether or not a cult is also a religion is determined based on the sincerity of belief of the worshipper.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1981/80-1666
https://www.oyez.org/cases/1992/91-948
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Ballard
https://www.oyez.org/cases/1980/79-952

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 06:21:35 AM »

CULTS ARE BAD ACT

HOUSE BILL

Be it resolved in the Atlasian Congress Assembled,

SECTION 1.

1. This Act may be cited as the "Cults Are Bad Act”.

SECTION 2.

1. The organization known as the Church of Scientology and all entities connected to said group, may not be exempt from paying any federal taxes that would otherwise be placed on it.

Sorry. Discrimination amongst religions violates the establishment clause. And whether or not a cult is also a religion is determined based on the sincerity of belief of the worshipper.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1981/80-1666
https://www.oyez.org/cases/1992/91-948
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Ballard
https://www.oyez.org/cases/1980/79-952

So can anything just claim to be a religion? I'm not very informed on this but you could probably interpret it so that the Church of Scientology isn't defined as one. It had to pay taxes before the 90s iirc.

The metric is "sincerity of belief". The government cant determine if a religion is "true" or not. It can however determine if the church actually believes what it professes or if its just a scam.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies