The South will rise again.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:24:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The South will rise again.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: The South will rise again.  (Read 28928 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 02, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »

Two things, I want to thank everyone, those who have commented here and those who have written me over the past few days.

First off, I want to respond to several people requesting that I run again. It was never my intent to run more than full term. I intended to serve for two months and then retire. This time for good. RL concerns have already intruded significantly on my ability and my willingness to put time into the atlas. TM has publicly commented on my significant absence during this term, but he hasn't said anything I haven't said privately. October and onwards are going to become much busier for me than the past month or so. 

Everything I wanted to accomplish on the Atlas, I accomplished last year. Given the circumstances of my departure I felt that I had some unfinished business and I wanted to leave the Atlas on a high note. I won't lie and say that this is how I envisioned things.

The other problem is that recall is a blunt instrument. As is often the case, we no longer remain the master of a process that we have started. Had this been discussed beforehand, many of these issues could have been resolved before resorting to the recall vote, but alas, at this point, it looks like recall will succeed.

I can see several options. One, that I make my retirement speech here. I had a long and quiet day today to reflect, and it became clear to me that the Atlas is not really something positive in my life, nor is it something that is returning very much for the time that it takes to be properly involved in the discussions. I have more family responsibilities (thanks to two rather frail grandparents), Work that is coming up to be fulltime and responsibilities to a very special someone who deserves better than chats inbetween PMing people here.

If the people want me to stay on for another month, petition TM to reinstate me to Young Texan's vacated seat, and I will obey the will of the people express here and retire at the end of my term. Those wishing to be rid of my presence will be satisfied and I will get to serve out the time that I have earned.

What say you all? Is this an acceptable compromise?

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #376 on: September 02, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »

Good evening my fellow southerners.

This will be the last time that I stand up here on this podium. Some, I'm sure will expect me to name names but that is not what I am here for. We get a short time in this life and I intend to make the most of mine. Some of us get an election or two. I've had much longer, and for that I am thankful.

I am thankful for the friends that I've made, and kept. Some who are still here tonight and some who have already left for the bigger and brighter world beyond. I'm thankful for the long nights talking to Yankee about the heredity of the Queen, and to PiT about the merits of the elusive INFJ. Both of you have been fine friends to me.

I would like to thank the current delegation within the Chamber. I have enjoyed working with Spark and the Saint, who are excellent delegates. And unfortunately, I won't get much time to finally work with you, JBrase, but you've been a good friend too. I look forward to seeing the laws that the group of you put in place. The South will be well served.

I want to thank my constituency, people like Classic Conservative and Mr. Reactionary, you all know who you are. Without you I would never have had the opportunities to serve, and I am grateful for your enduring support through all my trials.

I also want to thank fhtagn for stumping for me on the campaign trail and for asking me to return. That was very kind of you.

Some asked why I came back, some of you have asked me to return. I came back because I felt I had unfinished business, and I'm not coming back because that business is done. I had desired to leave on good terms, and that I have accomplished.

Some I'm sure will find tonight is a night to celebrate, and I'm not going to deny their triumph. They have succeeded where all others failed. And they deserve kudos for how hard they had to work in order to do so. 35 votes is pretty much a coalition across Atlasia. I had, up until now, never been defeated, either by recall or the electorate. Today that record now has a one beside it.

But I want to talk just a little bit more. About ideas. You see, ideas are strange things. Ones like love, and hate. We are told that love trumps hate, but I'm not so sure about that. Fewer than 30 people voted in our last election. Recalling me had over 40.

Is it really that love is the motivation if more could find the time to make someone leave than to have them stay?

I'm also reminded of a quote from very long ago, but it could be worded today.

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Godspeed all of you.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:50 AM »

Hello Everyone!

This isn't a speech that I expected to make, but given my recent correspondence I'd like to make a few things known to the people who have written me and Atlasia as a whole.

First off, some of you have asked me to run again. I appreciate the sentiments, but It's been almost half a year since I posted last, and the world (as well as my life), has had significant changes in that time. A game which hasn't really had a lot to offer me, still really doesn't have much to offer me. If I'm going to spend some of the time that I have off playing this game, I have to be able to justify doing so over other things which I would rather do. Things that actually have a substantial payoff...

Part of that has to do with larger issues within the game, and part of that has to do with having other things that I enjoy doing more. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future, hence my non participation beyond tossing in an odd vote or two.

Secondly, some of you have requested my vote and support for your policies. I've already spoken directly to a few explaining my situation and that has been respected. However, others have sought my support and I felt the need to explain a bit more.

Any casual observer would probably notice that I am unhappy with my current federalist representation, particularly in the South. You have a slate of people who deliberately chose to remove me from the game. Why would I bother to spend a minute of my time helping these people get elected when they went out of their way to evict me?

Secondly, I have no desire to vote for 'independents' who are simply slightly washed out communists. This game has not been fun for me for a long time and I would like to ask that both parties do not contact me further.

If those slightly washed out communists do not respect my wishes I might be aggravated enough to vote against them. Negative votes ARE a thing, so roust me at your peril.

Anyways, thank you all, and Godspeed.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2019, 01:00:18 AM »

Friends, Atlasians, Southerners!

The Ranch is open for business once again! I look forward to having many old friends, new friends, and not-friends stop by for some Southern Hospitality!

Howdy y'all!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2019, 02:31:37 AM »

The Ranch is open for business once again! I look forward to having many old friends, new friends, and not-friends stop by for some Southern Hospitality!

Howdy y'all!

He says the South will rise again and promises Southern Hospitality.
He promptly registers in Alaska.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2019, 02:40:35 AM »

You're a bit of a stickybeak, eh?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #381 on: March 19, 2019, 03:23:05 AM »

Howdy y'all!

He says the South will rise again and promises Southern Hospitality.
He promptly registers in Alaska.

The West will rise again!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2019, 04:29:37 AM »

Well our glorious RG Peebs has made her ruling, and you're stuck in Fremont until September. So I'm not stickybeaking, given I'm one of your regional MPs. And as an MP I am greatly moved by matters concerning my constituents.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2019, 06:51:23 AM »

And as an MP I am greatly moved by matters concerning my constituents.

You are a credit to your occupation.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »

And as an MP I am greatly moved by matters concerning my constituents.

You are a credit to your occupation.

As your Federalist member of Parliament I'll fight both against and for you whether you like it or not. (The balance between me fighting for you and me fighting against you is subject to constant change)
And I think it greatly important to welcome our newest citizens to the region, and to wish them the best with their new life out west.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2019, 06:55:05 AM »

As your Federalist member of Parliament I'll fight both with and for you whether you like it or not.

Then I suggest you lobby peebs to correct the registration in good faith.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »

you are stuck in Fremont. I wish you the best of luck in adapting to it.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2019, 06:56:53 AM »

As your Federalist member of Parliament I'll fight both with and for you whether you like it or not.

Then I suggest you lobby peebs to correct the registration in good faith.

I respect our federal officeholders to make correct judgement. And besides, why would we Fremonters want to lose you? (I wonder......)
Fact of the matter is you're stuck here for 6 months. You need to make the best of it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #388 on: March 19, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »

My intent was obvious, and corrected within the hour.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #389 on: March 19, 2019, 07:01:50 AM »

why would we Fremonters want to lose you? (I wonder......)

Because that is what I want.

I've always been in Texas since the beginning of the game.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #390 on: March 19, 2019, 07:04:01 AM »

why would we Fremonters want to lose you? (I wonder......)

Because that is what I want.

I've always been in Texas since the beginning of the game.

Maybe, but you made a silly mistake, and it's too late. You are stuck out west, and you must adapt to your new surroundings. You can't do anything about it. You're stuck here for exactly 180 days. So you can move back to the South on September 15.
You've just got to make the best of it.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #391 on: March 19, 2019, 07:06:18 AM »

IDS Ex-Speaker Ben Kenobi   07:04:54 am   Viewing the topic SB 9103: Close the Regional Change Loophole Act of 2019.

Yes I can see what you're doing using the Who's Online list. You're too late, it's already been signed into law. Indeed, it was the first bill TM signed as President. You're stuck here, and you've just got to make the best of it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #392 on: March 19, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »

My intent was obvious, and corrected within the hour.
You know where I got started?
Wisconsin. I first voted in the Mideast. I was tricked by Flo into abandoning the Mideast via moving to Texas. When I learned of the legal ramifications of what I had done, I was quite upset initially, but had to live with it. As a noob, I had been played, and was stuck in the Imperial Dominion of the South for six months. I never moved out of it. I have been in Texas ever since.
Your plight is unfortunate but the law is the law.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #393 on: March 19, 2019, 07:13:28 AM »

It would be nice if the honorable sirs were to actually assist me.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #394 on: March 19, 2019, 07:46:07 AM »

Mr Kenobi; Isaac Cummings from the Nyman Questioner (no it isn't dead its just resting).  I was wondering if you could respond to allegations that you had to flee Texas to Alaska in order to escape significant gambling debts which resulting in your home being repossessed?  We certainly know that there is a warrant out for your arrest back home for unpaid property taxes!

I mean, the fact that I'm asking this question to you in a road in Anchorage where you've clearly been sleeping in a 1992 Ford Fiesta suggests that the answer is clear but I figured that I'd give you the right of first response.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #395 on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:51 AM »

Well, I've been in quiet retirement for quite some time. I'm rather puzzled why there would be allegations about me getting foreclosed when I'm still maintaining the same residence.

Unless I know more of the details of said speculation I have nothing more to say.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #396 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:23 AM »

It would be nice if the honorable sirs were to actually assist me.

As I've said, the 2/3 overrule is meant for emergencies. So unless you can get Peebs to reverse her ruling before the next census or you sue her and win, it seems you are stuck in Fremont.

Still, it's far from an impossible block. You can always run for a federal position the same way (House/Senate/President). Or run for Fremont parliament instead of the Southern CoD.

IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »

Well, I've been in quiet retirement for quite some time. I'm rather puzzled why there would be allegations about me getting foreclosed when I'm still maintaining the same residence.

Unless I know more of the details of said speculation I have nothing more to say.

But you aren't in the same residence; you're in Alaska.  Unless you've always lived in a Ford Fiesta in Anchorage and have lied to the people of the south for all of these years?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:56 AM »

As I've said, the 2/3 overrule is meant for emergencies. So unless you can get Peebs to reverse her ruling before the next census or you sue her and win, it seems you are stuck in Fremont.

The law itself does not specify when the move becomes legal. Which is an oversight. Your assumption is that the post immediately become legal, but the law does not explicitly say that.

The law has had a cool-down period precisely for this reason. 

Still, it's far from an impossible block. You can always run for a federal position the same way (House/Senate/President). Or run for Fremont parliament instead of the Southern CoD.

Mostly I'm asking for people to use their heads, my intent is clear.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2019, 08:04:28 AM »

But you aren't in the same residence; you're in Alaska.  Unless you've always lived in a Ford Fiesta in Anchorage and have lied to the people of the south for all of these years?

I prefer actually american built automobiles like Honda which has a wonderful plant in Tennessee.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies