Southern Regional Committee Discussion/Information Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:28:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Regional Committee Discussion/Information Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Southern Regional Committee Discussion/Information Thread  (Read 1943 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:12:07 PM »
« edited: June 07, 2016, 01:31:20 AM by Leinad »

Southern Regional Committee
Discussion and Information Thread

This is the thread for discussion of the Southern Regional Committee, created in accordance with Article X of the recently passed Fourth Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia.

Members of the Committee: Leinad (Fed-GA), NeverAgain (Lab-VA), North Carolina Yankee (Fed-NC), Peebs (Lab-NC), Tmthforu94 (Fed-KS)

Committee Opened: May 27th, 2016

Committee Chair: Leinad (Fed-GA)

If any of you have a question, comment, suggestion, or anything of the sort, regarding the Southern Regional Committee, this is the thread for it. This is also the thread where you will be kept up-to-date on the proceedings of the Committee.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:12:40 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 01:58:32 AM by Leinad »

Archive of Votes

Principle Vote for Inaugural Senator Selection Method - Result: Plan C passed 4-0
Adoption of Rules of Order - Enacted by Majority Consent
Vote for Class I Senator - Result: Pingvin Elected 3-1
Adoption of Basic Constitution - Enacted by Majority Consent
Adoption of Basic Agenda - Enacted by Majority Consent
Vote for Removal of Southern Gothic - Result: Southern Gothic Removed 4-0
Appointment of Peebs to replace Southern Gothic - Enacted by Majority Consent
Principle Vote to Determine When Senators are Elected - Result: Week before Federal passed 3-2-0-0
June 2016 Senate Election Date Locked at 17th-19th - Enacted by Majority Consent
Modification of the Basic Agenda - Enacted by Majority Consent
Election of Senators by Popular Vote - Enacted by Majority Consent
Principle Vote to Determine how Senate vacancies are filled - Result: Hybrid system passed 3-2-0
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »

What powers does the Committee have and not have?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »

Good question.

Well, our purpose is to transport parts of the South, Mideast, and Northeast into its new form, while preserving their identities. To do this we will be writing a new constitution, setting up a new system of Southern Government, and currently figuring out our Senate election. To your question, our powers are a little unclear, but under Art. X "under no circumstances shall the committees presume to legislate on matters not pertaining to either of the aforementioned tasks and shall be immediately dissolved upon their completion". Under this, we are at the moment drafting our rules and regulations to help clear up most of these concerns.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »

Good question.

Well, our purpose is to transport parts of the South, Mideast, and Northeast into its new form, while preserving their identities. To do this we will be writing a new constitution, setting up a new system of Southern Government, and currently figuring out our Senate election. To your question, our powers are a little unclear, but under Art. X "under no circumstances shall the committees presume to legislate on matters not pertaining to either of the aforementioned tasks and shall be immediately dissolved upon their completion". Under this, we are at the moment drafting our rules and regulations to help clear up most of these concerns.
Thanks.
How long will the deliberations take?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »

As long as they do probably, hopefully by end of June.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 08:17:52 PM »

Let me know if there is any way I can assist.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:38:53 AM »

Hello Southerners,

Your regional committee is moving forward with a plan to select our two senators in under a week. We will do this by holding a special election for the Class 2 seat (April-August-December) this upcoming weekend, administered by Chairman Leinad. The Class 1 seat (February-June-October) will be appointed by the committee. The individual will serve for the month of June, and at the end of June, there will be an election to serve a full term. We feel like this process is the least confusing and most efficient way to advance.

If you want to be considered for the appointed senate seat (Class 1), you need to declare your intentions by 11:59 p.m. EST on Tuesday (today). There are no specific rules on where you need to declare, but please limit it to either this thread, the committee thread or the candidate declaration thread. We also ask that you make a statement in the committee thread - committee members may also pose questions to you.

The appointment will be made by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday. Candidates wishing to run in the special election for the Class 2 seat will have until 11:00 p.m. EST on Thursday to declare. This allows those who applied for the appointed seat and weren't chosen to have the option to run in the special election. The election will begin at 12:00 a.m. EST on Friday.

This process is going to be moving very quickly. But we believe it is necessary to ensure that the South has proper representation when the new Congress convenes.

Here is a text of the resolution:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:45:23 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2016, 11:00:59 AM by tmthforu94 »

Candidate Tracker

Class I Seat (Appointment by committee, election to full term later this month)Sad
Peebs
Pingvin

Class II Seat (Special Election to fill seat until August)Sad
Peebs
Tmthforu94
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »

The deadline for the appointed seat will be midnight tonight, or about 6 hours from now. At their earliest convenience, I would also like to invite our two declared candidates to the Southern Regional Committee thread to make their case as to why they would be the best choice. A final decision will be made by 5:00 on Thursday.

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 05:58:45 AM »

I, for one, found it interesting that the vote for Pingvin followed party lines. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:32 AM »

I, for one, found it interesting that the vote for Pingvin followed party lines. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting.

The federalists were always going to appoint one of their own to the committee; it's just how the game works
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 06:08:45 AM »

The federalists were always going to appoint one of their own to the committee; it's just how the game works
I know. That's why I said I wasn't sure what I was expecting.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »

You did literally as well as any non-Federalist could have Tongue
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 06:37:27 AM »

You did literally as well as any non-Federalist could have Tongue
3 Fed - 1 Lab - 1 SoGoth not voting. Solid ratio. As such, I'm running in the special election now.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 09:31:39 AM »

Regardless of party affiliation, candidates who don't respond to the questions that are posed to them typically aren't successful. I've had no problem voting across party lines in the past and will continue to do so in the future, but as Governor NeverAgain said, I couldn't vote for someone who didn't show to have "an understanding of the true issues facing the South and Atlasia."

Best of luck in the special election, Peebs. Competitive races are healthy for the region and the game. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »

I have proposed a framework version of a proposed constitution here. While this committee is full of qualified individuals, it is important to get feedback from southerners throughout this process, so please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions on how we should set up the region! Smiley

*hughughug*
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2016, 10:40:05 PM by tmthforu94 »

Southern Elections Tracker

Class II Seat (Special Election to fill seat until August)Sad
PeebsSad 6 - Tim Turner, Siren, Adam Griffin, TDAS04, Steelers, NeverAgain
Tmthforu94: 13 - NC Yankee, Tmthforu94, Leinad, ModerateVAVoter, Pingvin99, Classic Conservative, TexasGurl, EdgarAllenYOLO, PiT, Haslam2020, Libertarian_Leo, MilesC56, ElectionsGuy
Invalid: 1 - Peebs

1st Constitutional Amendment:
Aye - 19

2nd Constitutional Amendment:
Aye - 19

Projection: Both constitutional amendments will pass in the South Region

Projection: Tmthforu94 will win the Class II Southern Senate Seat
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »

I know my vote is invalid, but I just want to say my edit was not intended to change my vote, but instead to snip the amendments from said vote.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »

I know my vote is invalid, but I just want to say my edit was not intended to change my vote, but instead to snip the amendments from said vote.

While I believe you, there's no way to prove that you didn't change your vote, so the rules still have to apply.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »

While I believe you, there's no way to prove that you didn't change your vote, so the rules still have to apply.
Dang.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 01:33:34 AM »

Dang.

Sorry about that...

...but at the same time, congratulations about your appointment to the Committee! Smiley
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 05:07:10 AM »

Dang.

Sorry about that...

...but at the same time, congratulations about your appointment to the Committee! Smiley
It's okay. Thanks!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »

I was wondering... do we know when the next Senate election is or is that still up in the air?  Smiley
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »

I was wondering... do we know when the next Senate election is or is that still up in the air?  Smiley
We're deciding when the next Senate election is right now. It will either be the week before Federal elections, the week of, or the week after. Right now, week of is tied with before, 2-2. The only member of the committee yet to vote is tmthforu94.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies