Southern Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:39:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Southern Regional Committee  (Read 13307 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 01:18:24 AM »

Yes, I agree with that timeline, Tmth. Let's do this!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 01:24:44 AM »

It looks good. I support the timeline.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »

I know the next couple of days will be spent reviewing applicants for the Class I Senate Seat and making preparations for the special election next weekend, but I think we also go ahead and adopt a Rules of Order. This is modified from the versions used in the North and West - I only added clauses in Article I to remove members and how to appoint new members to the committee. Other regions have an article that requires they first set up the Senate elections, but we have already done that. While I think we should move quickly to get something on elections through, how we want to have Senate elections from now on may be dependent on other parts of the constitution, so I'd rather look at it all at the same time. If it looks like we're running out of time, we can pass another resolution in a couple weeks that details how the Senate election will be held, though I imagine it will be fairly straightforward.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »

Will the region be running it's own elections?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

Will the region be running it's own elections?
I assume you're referring specifically to senate elections. For the election next weekend? Yes. We still need to determine how to structure them for the future, but for me, all options are on the table. Do you have a recommendation for how they should be conducted?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:35 PM »

To the Southern Regional Committee.

Who am I? Why am I here? As far as you know, I'm just some kid who decided to actually play the game by running for Senate instead of just being a registered voter. But here I am, running for Senate. I feel that I am the right person for the job.

I'm going to be blunt. I don't have any experience, but I will provide a liberal voice to the South. You're just going to have to trust me on this.

I'm confident that I'll be a fine candidate for the job.

Peebs
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »

Peebs: Great opening line! Could you please go into more depth about your political beliefs? Where do you draw the line between regional issues and federal issues? Who would you describe as your political role model? Finally, how do you plan to be an active legislator? Thank you! Smiley
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »

Peebs: Great opening line! Could you please go into more depth about your political beliefs? Where do you draw the line between regional issues and federal issues? Who would you describe as your political role model? Finally, how do you plan to be an active legislator? Thank you! Smiley

Would agree, love to hear where you stand on the issues facing our great region and nation. And to understand what a Senator Peebs would do.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »

I knew it wouldn't be enough. Since time before the consideration begins is running out, I don't have much time (or effort) to write a whole speech. I'll give you a brief overview of my policies in President Infinity form. To me, issues that pertain exclusively to a region are regional issues, whereas those that pertain all three regions will be federal issues. Regions can also work together on multi-region issues.
As a legislator, I intend to vote with my gut on the issues of the region and the nation.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »

Just as a note, there is no set schedule as to when questioning ends and deliberation begins. Ideally we'll start deliberating sometime tomorrow night so that we can have a vote done by Thursday afternoon.

I would appreciate more in-depth answers (as well as information from the other candidate) before I felt comfortable voting, and I imagine my colleagues would agree. We just wanted to get the questioning started early to allow both the candidates and committee members more time.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »

I knew it wouldn't be enough. Since time before the consideration begins is running out, I don't have much time (or effort) to write a whole speech. I'll give you a brief overview of my policies in President Infinity form. To me, issues that pertain exclusively to a region are regional issues, whereas those that pertain all three regions will be federal issues. Regions can also work together on multi-region issues.
As a legislator, I intend to vote with my gut on the issues of the region and the nation.

Completely understand, time is always a yuge constraint for all of us. It's just our decision making process is based on what y'all say. As Governor Tmth said we do have until tomorrow evening, so no rush. I would just really love hearing some great answers to what you'll do as Senator.

This is a very important issue as you all will set the basis for how we as the South will be represented to not only the rest of our nation, but also to the rest of the world. And so I not only have the utmost faith in this great process we have set up to accurately and fairly find the best possible person to represent our great region, I also have the utmost faith in you to be our great party's nominee for this great honor and the respect with the respect and dignity that entails.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »

In the interest of saving time, I'm also going to pose questions to Pingvin for when he logs on (he's on the other side of the globe):
- What experience do you have that makes you qualified to be senator?
- What do you see as the biggest issue currently facing Atlasia?
- Briefly describe your ideology and how you plan to be an active legislator.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 01:26:09 AM »

Yeah, I support this.

Also, I look forward to seeing what Legislator Pingvin has to say regarding his quest for appointment--and thanks to Peebs for her answers, too!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 06:24:09 AM »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I would like to answer your questions regarding the Senate appointment and why I decided to seek it.

In the interest of saving time, I'm also going to pose questions to Pingvin for when he logs on (he's on the other side of the globe):
- What experience do you have that makes you qualified to be senator?
- What do you see as the biggest issue currently facing Atlasia?
- Briefly describe your ideology and how you plan to be an active legislator.

1) I have served as a member of Southern Legislature, Judicial Overlord of the South and At-large Senator during the 48th Atlasian Senate. I have experience in working with legislation and making sure that is adequate to the demands of the common man.

2) In my opinion, there are two main issues that Atlasia faces nowadays. The first one is the inadequate and huge amount of federal bureaucracy that can be and should be cut in favor of extending the regional rights and market-oriented economic solutions. The second issue is the slow yet steady loss of Atlasia's national sovereignty. The ideas of globalism, multiculturalism and open border society proven themselves to be a failure and we must understand that further implementation of them will lead to the disastrous consequences.

3) My ideology can be best described as minarchist on economics and paleoconservative/nationalist on the rest of issues. As for being active legislator, I will make sure that voice of the South will be heard in the Senate - I will be listening to the people, I will fight for their rights and I will not compromise or kneel before the establishment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »

I would say give the applicants a couple more hours to provide any additional information. Do other committee-members feel the need to have a time for discussion, or are you comfortable moving into a final vote?

FWIW, when I cast my vote, I will include with it an explanation, and I would hope that other committee-members who do the same for the benefit of both applicants.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 04:32:37 PM »

I have been informed by both Pingvin and Peebs that they have no more to add to the discussion - I think it is best for us now to move into a closed discussion as a committee and start a vote late tonight or early tomorrow.

If any committee members has thoughts, please share them now. I'll post mine later this evening.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »

My opinion, and I'll speak candidly:

I'm trying not to consider ideologies when making this decision, though we all know that can be hard to do. I can't really speak to Pingvin's past activity in the Senate so hopefully Yankee can speak to that. I think it's important to know how he was as a legislator in the past.

Based on my questions, I was satisfied with the answers given by Pingvin. While I would have appreciated it if he had touched on game reform, he showed to have a pretty good idea of the issues facing Atlasia and what he would do as a senator. And in terms of political views, based on his response, he definitely would bring a unique political ideology to the Senate.

Peebs is a new member with excitement to get involved. Seeing that makes me reflect on when I was like her and I appreciate her enthusiasm. However, trying to be objective, I feel like her response to my questions was pretty dismissive - she gave very short answers and didn't even answer all of them. Even after I asked for more in-depth answers and PMed both candidates today with the opportunity to provide additional information, we received none. I understand that this was a quick process, so normally I would be much more sympathetic. However, upon looking at her posting history, I see that she has made 26 posts today alone, which indicates to me that she had the time to go into more detail, just decided not to.

I think she has a great future in the game, but I think she would be better suited by gaining experience in the regional legislature before joining the Senate. Based on the responses in this thread, I intend to support Pingvin for the Class I Senate seat, but I look forward to hearing the thoughts of my colleagues and will keep an open mind. This decision shouldn't be made lightly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2016, 09:27:13 PM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

To me Peebs pitch would have worked great for someone with an established record or experience. "Trust me" is a rather weak basis for a new person to pitch themselves to the public on.

When I became a Senator, I had not held any prior office. There was no legislature then. But I had been a VP candidate, I had campaigned publically in two elections and had posted on issues involving Game Reform, GM reform, regional rights, honesty and ethics in gov't (joined right as the Xahar hacking scandle broke) and competence and activity on the part the cabinet. So people had a pretty good idea what they were getting with me.

She brought up ideology seemingly as a substitute and I really don't want to make a decision based on ideology here like Tmth said and Peebs should be thankful that is not the basis, for it gives her a better chance if we don't obviously.

As for Pingvin. Pingvin does have an established record of service to the South, he has served in the legislature countless times and the most recent of which was very active and engaged in serving the people of the South. He raised forces to protect the South when it was threatened with attack back in 2014 as well.

He did indeed serve in the Senate, filling out a partial term that was vacated in early 2012. If memory serves me though, that was right at the time that PPT Marokai Blue disappeared and the Senate fell inactive for a few weeks until I came to rescure once again (and ended up trapped for two years and four months in the post Tongue), so I don't think much of anything got done. It was also so long ago that such would not be as accurate gauge either even without those extenuating circumstances.

With that said, I intend to support Pingvin. I do like what Peebs has to offer and hope she remains active and builds up her profile for later bids for higher office. 
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »

I was a little disapointed with Peebs' bid, I like her and I think she has a great political future here in the South, but if we are going to be choosing a Senator to represent the heart and core of the South we need one that can answer the tough questions before us. As previously mentioned the "trust me" campaign falls a little flat with little to no basis for the reasoning. I like Peebs and her fight, but I cannot truely support an appointment without the understanding of the true issues facing the South and Atlasia.

That being said, as I read through Pingvin's bid I felt a lack of understanding here also. And maybe it's just me, but I need to hear something about our New Constitution and what we're going to do to preserve and protect it. While Pingvin's qualifications are undeniable, his responses on his own stances worried me for the future of working families. I am and hope to continue to be an advocate for the working families of the South in my new position representing the South and the entire game as a legislator.

I worry I will not be able to work with the paleoconservative ideology and I cannot support that. As of now, I will be abstaining from this vote. But as Tmth said I stand with an open mind, and I also stand with a willing heart to accept either nominee.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »

I would agree with what Tmth and Yankee said. While I agree that Peebs has a great political future, and it's hard to vote against someone referencing Seinfeld in their signature, Pingvin seems ready on day one (ick, Lindsey Graham reference...) to be one of the first Senators of this great region.

Unless someone objects to this, I shall open up the vote shortly...
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 11:15:08 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2016, 11:24:21 PM by Leinad »

Official Ballot for Class I Senator

[ ] Peebs
[ ] Pingvin

The vote will last until 5 PM tomorrow, or when one candidate has a majority of all votes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 11:31:22 PM »

[ ] Peebs
[X] Pingvin
North Carolina Yankee