Northern Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee  (Read 18146 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2016, 06:15:53 AM »

So to clarify what class of senators are we electing?

we have "The finisher elected first or with the most surplus shall take the longer Senate term.", doesn't that cover it?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2016, 12:30:55 PM »

So to clarify what class of senators are we electing?

In my proposal, both, in one election.  The second-place finisher gets the shorter term, whichever one that might be (which, as Poirot has pointed out, is unclear).  But others have objected to this formulation.

I'd prefer not to appoint anyone if we can avoid it. I think the other regions are doing it wrong.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »

One amendment since it's getting late and people need more time to declare:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »

I have an amendment to cinyc's proposed bill:

Basically, my amendment would change the existing bill so the special election is only for one Senator (who will face reelection in August). The other Senator will be appointed by our committee and will face election later this June. My reasons for the amendment:

- One of the Senators would have to be elected again this month regardless.
- The fairest way to choose our Senators is to do so in the same way in each region.
- It would be best to have our first Senate election using the same method that later Senate elections will be held using.

Thanks! Cheesy
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »

Unfriendly.  I don't think this unaccountable committee should be appointing members, no matter how short the term is.  Let the voters decide.  The other regions simply got this wrong.

Plus, I don't think it is clear that the June seat is the shorter one.  Poirot has made arguments that there is no date specified for a Senate election in the Atlasian constitution, and it's already June 1.

Given the shortness of time before the proposed election day, I move for an immediate vote on the amendment.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »

Very well. A vote is now open on Darthebearnc's amendment to the elections bill. Please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain. Voting will last 24 hours or until a majority has been reached.

AYE.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »

Unfriendly.  I don't think this unaccountable committee should be appointing members, no matter how short the term is.  Let the voters decide.  The other regions simply got this wrong.

Plus, I don't think it is clear that the June seat is the shorter one.  Poirot has made arguments that there is no date specified for a Senate election in the Atlasian constitution, and it's already June 1.

Given the shortness of time before the proposed election day, I move for an immediate vote on the amendment.
So with this amendment you'd be appointing someone to a 4 month term? That seems undemocratic to me - we specified in the South that the appointment would only be until another election was held later in June.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:43 PM »

So with this amendment you'd be appointing someone to a 4 month term? That seems undemocratic to me - we specified in the South that the appointment would only be until another election was held later in June.
My understanding is that the appointed Class I Senator would serve three weeks, until the regular Class I election later this month. I will introduce an amendment clarifying this if Dar's amendment is adopted.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »

Unfriendly.  I don't think this unaccountable committee should be appointing members, no matter how short the term is.  Let the voters decide.  The other regions simply got this wrong.

Plus, I don't think it is clear that the June seat is the shorter one.  Poirot has made arguments that there is no date specified for a Senate election in the Atlasian constitution, and it's already June 1.

Of course not. That's clear in the text.

I vote Aye on the amendment.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »

heck nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »

Of course not. That's clear in the text.

I vote Aye on the amendment.
No it doesn't, check your attitude. Looks like Truman is going to offer an amendment to clarify, so all is good.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »

lol
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »

aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »

Nay
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »

Abstain, on the grounds that I don't like the proposal, even though it appears to be the better option.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

Nay
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »

With three votes in favor, three against, and one delegate abstaining, the amendment has fallen short of a majority and has therefore FAILED.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »

With three votes in favor, three against, and one delegate abstaining, the amendment has fallen short of a majority and has therefore FAILED.

Okay, now what happens?  We need to pass something fairly soon, or we won't be able to hold an election this weekend.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2016, 04:35:18 AM »

[/quote]

I offer this amendment; we should use the same electoral system as every other region is using for the Senate race- and the same system that we plan on using in the future
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2016, 05:37:31 AM »

^You can't have an IRV voting system in which multiple candidates are elected. The South and West are using IRV specifically so they only elect one Senator and appoint the other one until later this month.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »

the current bill is fine
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2016, 05:52:39 AM »

Ballotpedia has failed me; I withdraw the amendment
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2016, 07:18:57 AM »

[/quote]

Status quo
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »

Am I the only one who finds it suspect that Federalists are appointments in the regions where they're strongest- and going for elections in the North?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »

Am I the only one who finds it suspect that Federalists are appointments in the regions where they're strongest- and going for elections in the North?

Neither evergreen nor I are federalists.  My rationale for holding only one election is that it's unclear whether someone elected in June will have to vacate the seat for a later election this month, but if they do, nobody will run for the shorter seat.  And if they don't (a very good argument can be made that if a Senator is elected in June, he or she can sit until the next election for that class (October?), we're in a better position than the other regions, who think they will have an election that might not happen.

I just don't think an unaccountable committee like this should be selecting Senators.  And, arguably, it's unconsitutional because the article setting up this committee says that we can set up the election of Senators, not the selection of senators.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies