Hillary's trip to west virginia didn't go too well
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 06:28:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary's trip to west virginia didn't go too well
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Hillary's trip to west virginia didn't go too well  (Read 4236 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »

I've heard people on Atlas suggest that the Democrats should abandon environmentalism in order to appeal to West Virginia. Seriously.
Not just West Virginia, but also to make sure that they keep a firm, solid grip on PA and OH, and possibly win back KY.  Considering the Sun Belt is trending D, adding Coal Country to the D column only further complicates things for the GOP.

People who try to be all things to all people usually end up appealing to nobody.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

The amount of condescension and elitism coming from some Democrats is disgusting. Yes, we liberals should not budge on the environment. The stakes are too high for our children. Certainly more important than the an artificial number like the national debt.

That being said, West Virginians have been given a slate of lies by Republicans. We liberals know conservatism will do nothing, but bring more misery to some of the poorest people in our nation. Instead of treating them like inbred morons, treat them like human beings and fellow Americans. Are there racists there? Yes. Are there black racists who wouldn't vote for a white man? Yes. The vast majority of West Virginians, however, want to live how we all wanna live; with respect and economic security. Stop acting like latte liberals and take the torch from Martin Luther King Jr., whose last great movement was going to be a Poor People's March, uniting white and black in solidarity against the poverty both are dealt with.

Give me a break.

Stop acting like these people are dumb sheep, they know exactly what they are voting for and we shouldn't pander to them.

And at the end of the day, it is not like they won't benefit from programs Democrats push/protect.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »

The amount of condescension and elitism coming from some Democrats is disgusting. Yes, we liberals should not budge on the environment. The stakes are too high for our children. Certainly more important than the an artificial number like the national debt.

That being said, West Virginians have been given a slate of lies by Republicans. We liberals know conservatism will do nothing, but bring more misery to some of the poorest people in our nation. Instead of treating them like inbred morons, treat them like human beings and fellow Americans. Are there racists there? Yes. Are there black racists who wouldn't vote for a white man? Yes. The vast majority of West Virginians, however, want to live how we all wanna live; with respect and economic security. Stop acting like latte liberals and take the torch from Martin Luther King Jr., whose last great movement was going to be a Poor People's March, uniting white and black in solidarity against the poverty both are dealt with.

Give me a break.

Stop acting like these people are dumb sheep, they know exactly what they are voting for and we shouldn't pander to them.

And at the end of the day, it is not like they won't benefit from programs Democrats push/protect.
They aren't dumb sheep. What I'm saying is that calling them bigoted morons doesn't solve the issue, and we should at least listen to their economic concerns because they have legitimate ones. Just look at the population decline and unemployment.

I never said pander. If you read what I said, I wrote we shouldn't compromise on the environment, but that doesn't mean we don't put an alternative to bring real jobs to the state instead of letting the GOP lie and tell them they can save coal country. Coal is dying, but like Detroit and their lost industry, do the people have to suffer as well? WV obviously won't vote Democratic for a while, but ignoring the issues they face ensure things will only get worse for the state.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »

Give me a break.

They aren't dumb sheep. What I'm saying is that calling them bigoted morons doesn't solve the issue, and we should at least listen to their economic concerns because they have legitimate ones. Just look at the population decline and unemployment.

I never said pander. If you read what I said, I wrote we shouldn't compromise on the environment, but that doesn't mean we don't put an alternative to bring real jobs to the state instead of letting the GOP lie and tell them they can save coal country. Coal is dying, but like Detroit and their lost industry, do the people have to suffer as well? WV obviously won't vote Democratic for a while, but ignoring the issues they face ensure things will only get worse for the state.

I hate to break it to you, but these people aren't voting against the Democrats because they feel like both parties are bad, and the GOP says the right things on other issues. And they won't vote for Sanders in the general because he's promising them free Health Care or College Tuition. They are voting against the Democrats because they are A) Conservative, B) Racist, C) Racist Conservatives.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »

The worst part about all of this is the lie that coal jobs can be brought back somehow. Coal companies are going bankrupt for a reason, it's a dying industry.
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »

Appalachians continued voting democratic for forty years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Nontheless, all they got from the party of eveyone but them was "redneck, redneck, redneck".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2016, 05:53:04 PM »

West Virginia is actually a legitimately interesting state (with a very sad story to tell: did you know that the population of McDowell county used to be about 100,000? Less than 20,000 now) so why can't it be discussed on Atlas without this ridiculous thread again? It reflects pretty poorly on all of you from the concern trolling Republicans who suddenly claim to care soooo much about mining towns to the braindead D tendency who repeat grossly inaccurate stereotypes as Gospel.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »

Crap like this makes me thankful that West Virginia is now a Republican state. You guys can have them. Thank God the coal industry is dying.

As if your sense of elitism wasn't just as high when these folks were voting for Democrats?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2016, 06:30:01 PM »

Ironic that WV is perceived to have left the Dems over race issues when one remembers the very reason why it became a state to begin with.

WV leaving the Democrats over race will be news to every thinking person alive!  Way to break it first.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2016, 07:08:02 PM »

West Virginia is actually a legitimately interesting state (with a very sad story to tell: did you know that the population of McDowell county used to be about 100,000? Less than 20,000 now) so why can't it be discussed on Atlas without this ridiculous thread again? It reflects pretty poorly on all of you from the concern trolling Republicans who suddenly claim to care soooo much about mining towns to the braindead D tendency who repeat grossly inaccurate stereotypes as Gospel.

Because the people there have the gall to vote Republican, even when the Democrats would be better for them! Must be racism.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies