PQ Leadership - October 7, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:29:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  PQ Leadership - October 7, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: PQ Leadership - October 7, 2016  (Read 5133 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »

What factions do the candidates represent?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »

Confirmed: Ouellet in on Friday.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2016, 12:31:46 PM by RogueBeaver »

Cloutier: referendum plank depends on sufficient mobilization. If he's a kangaroo, then Ouellet's a caribou.

Vote will be Oct. 5-7.

$20k filing fee, 1500 signatures.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »

the deadline for candidacies is June 30th.

The vote will be by phone or internet October 5th to 7th by ranking the candidates.

There will be two debates in September. The spending limit for candidates is $200,000.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »

What factions do the candidates represent?

Oullet is the most avowedly separatist I believe. Lisee is in favour of the party becoming more open to immigrants and Anglos. He also most critical of the Charter of Values. Cloutier is in the middle and I believe is relatively left wing on economics.

I don't know anything about Hivon. Perhaps RB can comment or correct misconceptions?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 11:51:20 AM »

Hivon is pretty much a female version of Cloutier, but with a more social outlook (she is mainly known for co-chairing the committee on medical end of life (under Charest) and then for pushing the law in Cabinet as a minister. Also less committed to a referendum as early as possible than Cloutier, but more than Lisee (who said he would wait until his 2nd term to do so).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »

In practice of course, no referenda for the foreseeable future. PQ's structural problems are far more immediate, but I don't think any contender has a workable solution for that. IMO, no one on either side has had that sort of political skill since Bourassa.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 05:43:16 AM »

MacPherson on Lisée, who again might have trouble qualifying.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2016, 12:17:45 PM by RogueBeaver »

LOL: Marceau is proposing that a PQ government hold a 2021 referendum with beau risque, i.e. renewed federalism, as the other option. With a Trudeau as PM. You can't make this crap up.

Cloutier has the sigs.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »

Could one of you Canadians rank the candidates on these three spectrums :

Federalism (or let's say moderate separatism) ---> Harsh separatism
Inclusion ---> Racism
Economically conservative (or liberal in a France sense) ---> Economically progressive (or liberal in a US sense)

Thanks !
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »

What Max and DC said. There are hardly any differences between the candidates, and there's a lot of Cloutier/Hivon support overlap.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »

Léger has Cloutier at 37%, Lisée 15%, Hivon 14%, Ouellet 7%. Referendum positions are a wash, and Cloutier has been endorsed by 12 of 19 possible caucus members.

Hivon and Lisée both proposing reforms to doctors' pay.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 05:41:45 PM »

Breguet: Lisée will give Cloutier a real race, but Cloutier probably the favorite based on preferences & centrist positioning.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2016, 09:36:36 AM by RogueBeaver »

Fundraising position unchanged in Q2.

3 debates: Sept. 11 Sherbrooke, Sept. 25 here, Oct. 2 Quebec City.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »

Hivon quits for health reasons.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »

Cloutier's rivals are pissed that the establishment is foursquare behind him. Breguet still thinks he edges Lisée on preferences. Closest leadership since Johnson squeaked out a win over Bertrand in '61.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2016, 09:12:10 AM by RogueBeaver »

Léger has Cloutier 39 (+2), Lisée 23 (+8), Ouellet 18 (+5) in their leadership poll. Provincial ballot test is 34-29-23. Cloutier wins on the 3rd ballot 48-30.

For those interested, here are Cloutier and Lisée's platforms.  Cloutier also promised to build a HSR line between Montreal and Quebec City.

What the next PQ leader needs to do: reunite the party, pull off a successful major attack on the CAQ, write a good platform at next year's policy convention.
DL
Canada

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »

These polls are of PQ voters but the leader will be picked by the tiny subset of PQ voters who are card carrying members. Do we have any reason to believe that members might have quite a different take on who should be leader.?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »

No, polls were accurate last year (final public poll: PKP 59%, he won with 57%) and in 2007. Combined with other indicators, as Breguet has said throughout the race, Cloutier is still gonna win.
DL
Canada

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2016, 07:38:20 AM »

No, polls were accurate last year (final public poll: PKP 59%, he won with 57%) and in 2007. Combined with other indicators, as Breguet has said throughout the race, Cloutier is still gonna win.

I'm aware of that but the contest last year where PKP won was not a competitive race and he was by far the most well known candidate. This contest is much more competitive and the candidates are not so well known to the public...I assume a lot will depend on who has the best on the ground organization as well.

I expect Cloutier will win. But let's keep in mind that in 2013 if it had been up to Ontario Liberal VOTERS as opposed to MEMBERS polls at the time suggested Gerrad Kennedy would have won and Wynne would have come in third.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2016, 07:43:45 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2016, 07:45:38 AM by RogueBeaver »

There are other factors too: fundraising, establishment support, Lisée being a polarizing, arrogant (he made a video pretending to be a nice guy recently) figure whose sovereignty plank diametrically opposes Ouellet's. Cloutier's campaign is mediocre and bland but he'll win. Besides, we haven't had a leadership campaign where the outcome was in doubt since 1961.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »

Today's debate was predictable without any memorable headlines. Advantage Cloutier.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »

Here Bréguet explains at length why Cloutier's a lock to win. In a Le Devoir interview, Cloutier says he would unilaterally withdraw from the Council of the Federation and try to replace the Court of Appeal with a homegrown "constitutional council" that would be shut down by the Supreme Court in a nanosecond. A man with his legal credentials knows that, so I assume that's just yuge red meat for Ouellet supporters.
CanadianObserver
Rookie
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2016, 08:58:50 AM »

They should start doing polls to find out, who of the four can beat the Liberals in the next elections.
Just my opinion, I think, the CAQ (Coalition pour l'avenir du Québec) should change their leader,François Legault. His past with the PQ , is haunting the party.

As far as replacing the court of Appeal, good luck. I find it curious, that he would says that.His party has a history of denouncing Federal intrusion in provincial jurisdiction.
Philly D.
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »

They should start doing polls to find out, who of the four can beat the Liberals in the next elections.
Just my opinion, I think, the CAQ (Coalition pour l'avenir du Québec) should change their leader, François Legault. His past with the PQ, is haunting the party.

As far as replacing the court of Appeal, good luck. I find it curious, that he would says that.His party has a history of denouncing Federal intrusion in provincial jurisdiction.

Regarding the CAQ, its actual legal name is C.A.Q.-E.F.L. --- Equipe François Legault, just as the legal name of the ADQ was A.D.Q.-E.M.D. Equipe Mario Dumont.
Like its predecessor, the leader is the bedrock of the party.
Him leaving now would make Barette and Anglade joining the PLQ seem pedestrian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies