Labour anti-semitism megathread.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour anti-semitism megathread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Labour anti-semitism megathread.  (Read 3193 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »

We might need this Sad
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »

At this point, I think denial has run its course. The next step is Corbyn embracing the mantle of proud anti-semitic defender of the common people, like radicals do.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »

Ken suspended. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:04:26 AM »

David Ward was an endorsed LibDem candidate at the last General Election (despite devoting much of his time as an MP to rants about 'The Jews' - his preferred term) but I don't recall that being part of a media narrative about 'LibDem antisemitism'.

Mind you racism always looks worse when its on the Left (You Should Know Better) and so complaining about it getting attention is not a good look, but nevertheless...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »

And before that happened was thrown under the proverbial bus by Jon Lansman (who's the backroom fixer for the Hard Left) who even went so far as to call time on his career...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »

It's also the case, btw, that some of the (overwhelmingly Pakistani Muslim) councillors whose social media accounts have been shown to contain interesting remarks over the past few months have previously been members of other parties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 11:29:49 AM by Sibboleth »

And it is *also* the case that the media management has been beyond terrible: the disciplinary process has actually kicked in extremely quickly (even against Livingstone who is a member of the National Executive) exactly as you would hope it would, but the impression of inaction lingers. I.e. Milne needs to be fired.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »

Tbh I think Mann was a bit unprofessional in his attempts to get a frontpage billing.

I think the best thing for Livingstone would be to play the sympathy card and claim he was drunk, and finally admit his  obvious drinking problem.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »

Hitler was a Zionist? Had an odd way of showing it.

Sadiq Khan is really showing himself to be one of the better leaders in the UK. Good man. Hope he wins.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »

I agree that LibDems have a bigger anti-semitism problem than Labour. But the situation at Labour student groups is grim and I guess the future is bleak
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »

Livingstone needs to be expelled over this. If not, I'm leaving the party.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 01:41:29 PM »

Labour proceeds at its own peril. Kicking out Ken Livingstone didn't work the last time. Outside of the media echo chamber, his comments are perfectly inoffensive (albeit probably wrong).

If Corbyn fails or retires, Livingstone is now perfectly positioned to engage in a hostile takeover of an increasingly Muslim Labour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »

If Corbyn fails or retires, Livingstone is now perfectly positioned to engage in a hostile takeover of an increasingly Muslim Labour.

Have you been drinking in similar quantities to Livingstone or...?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »

He thinks the Pope might be the antichrist because he (Francis) is not an alt-right racist. I'm pretty sure this is him sober.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »

He thinks the Pope might be the antichrist because he (Francis) is not an alt-right racist. I'm pretty sure this is him sober.

You seem a little riled up. I can use a more PC term (whore of Babylon?)

Though seriously speaking, it's stuff like that which makes me both like evangelicals and severely question their theology.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »

Labour proceeds at its own peril. Kicking out Ken Livingstone didn't work the last time. Outside of the media echo chamber, his comments are perfectly inoffensive (albeit probably wrong).

What? Ken has as much chance as Dianne Abbott (see 2015 mayoral primary)

If you want to win a Labour leadership race you need to win London, which is largely made up of white public sector workers (in my own experience of the party)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »

You seem a little riled up. I can use a more PC term (whore of Babylon?)

Though seriously speaking, it's stuff like that which makes me both like evangelicals and severely question their theology.

1. No no no, see, the canard is that the Pope is the antichrist and the Church as an institution is the whore of Babylon. Get it right.
2. Fuck you, fascist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 02:16:11 PM »

It is indeed a well known fact that 90% of Labour members are teachers or retired teachers.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »

Thank you for yet another example of your intellectual capacity of a squashed apricot.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »

What? Ken has as much chance as Dianne Abbott (see 2015 mayoral primary)

If you want to win a Labour leadership race you need to win London, which is largely made up of white public sector workers (in my own experience of the party)

I am aware of that but correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think being the last successful left-wing mayor of London would be a boost among that crowd - unless Livingstone left office despised by the public sector workers too
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »

Sib, that's a troll. Troll, that's Sibboleth.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 12:34:19 AM »

Also, does it suprise anyone how much David Ward looks like Chuck Hagel? I think AIPAC mistakenly went after the wrong guy with that filibuster.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 12:48:18 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2016, 01:09:29 AM by Famous Mortimer »

I don't think Naz Shah's comments were anti-Semitic. They were stupid, but not anti-Semitic.

I think rather than having her issue an insincere apology, I would like to hear her actually defend her position.

Why does she think it's alright to force millions of Israelis to leave the land they were born in? What does she think about right-wing Israelis like Moshe Feiglin who want to pay Arabs to leave Israel and the territories? Obviously she doesn't agree with them, but does she recognize that as a valid non-racist viewpoint, since it's so close to her own?

I think asking these questions publicly would lead to a more sincerely apology. As it stands, people who hold her stupid views can just go on believing them, believing they were silenced by phony outrage, rather than having to actually confront how dumb they are.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »

I don't think Naz Shah's comments were anti-Semitic. They were stupid, but not anti-Semitic.

I think rather than having her issue an insincere apology, I would like to hear her actually defend her position.

Why does she think it's alright to force millions of Israelis to leave the land they were born in? What does she think about right-wing Israelis like Moshe Feiglin who want to pay Arabs to leave Israel and the territories? Obviously she doesn't agree with them, but does she recognize that as a valid non-racist viewpoint, since it's so close to her own?

I think asking these questions publicly would lead to a more sincerely apology. As it stands, people who hold her stupid views can just go on believing them, believing they were silenced by phony outrage, rather than having to actually confront how dumb they are.

You're a very person, who truly believe the best of people.

rob in cal
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »

Concerning Hitler and the Zionists there is a very intriguing book on the subject, Zionism in the age of the Dictators which goes into the various ties and negotiations between the Zionists and the Nazi regime. Also Francis Nicosia's Zionism and anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany is very enlightening. Through the 1930's the Hitler regime was hoping to expel the German Jews, and British run Palestine was one option.  The Nazis did fear that once the Jewish population there was strong enough to have its own state and a League of Nations membership it would be a pain in the neck, and that a Jewish run state would be a source of untold mischief.  However, in spite of those concerns, the Hitler regime cooperated with Zionists agencies to the extent that about 40,000 German and Austrian Jews did reach Palestine.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies