Nussle Officially Announces.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:27:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nussle Officially Announces.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nussle Officially Announces.  (Read 2221 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »
« edited: June 07, 2005, 09:04:29 PM by Senator PBrunsel »

http://www.jimnussle.com/nussle/wrapper.jsp?PID=4085-10&CID=4085-022405G

There is the new website for Nussle 2006.

This is a bit late, yes, for he announced on the 2nd of June, but I just got around to seeing it confirmed. His only real opposition in the Primary is businessman Bob Vander Platts, but he was defeated by the boring Doug Gross in 2002, so he is no threat.

I will be looking forward to Nussle as Governor. Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:36:36 PM »

I certainly think he has a very good shot to wn.

Geographically, he comes from about as favorable a location as a GOP candidate could come from in Iowa, though I would also bet that the GOP stands a decent chance of losing that open seat in 2006 (I don't know the potential candidates there, however).
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:44:55 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2005, 10:47:20 PM by nickshepDEM »

Hopefully the Democratic candidate will point out the following...

1.  Nussle is the chair of the budget committee.

2.  Nussle's intern issues.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 06:37:25 AM »

nick, do explain on both issues if you would.

I think Nussle has a good shot at this , he will definately win Western IA and coming fromt e East he has good name ID over there already. 

Hope he wins as he could be a replacement for Harkin or grassley someday.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 07:56:41 AM »

I've seen Nussle speak on the House floor 2 or 3 times, and he seems like a very angry neocon. Is this a correct perception?

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 08:47:10 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2005, 09:00:12 AM by nickshepDEM »

I think Nussle has a good shot at this , he will definately win Western IA and coming fromt e East he has good name ID over there already. 

Nussle is chair of the budget committee.  Therefore, he can be directly tied to the ballooning federal budget deficit.

In 1996 Nussle divorced his wife after an affair with one of his staffers.

For those of you already chalking this one up for Nussle... Remeber 1998?  Jim Ross Lightfoot, was supposed to manhandle Vilsack.  We all know the results of that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 12:16:50 PM »

Nussle is chair of the budget committee.  Therefore, he can be directly tied to the ballooning federal budget deficit.

In 1996 Nussle divorced his wife after an affair with one of his staffers.

For those of you already chalking this one up for Nussle... Remeber 1998?  Jim Ross Lightfoot, was supposed to manhandle Vilsack.  We all know the results of that.

The point I agree with jravnsbo on has to do with where Nussle comes from, ie eastern Iowa, and that he represents and is well-liked in a swing/lean Dem seat in the House.  To say that this won't be helpful in his bid for Governor is to ignore the obvious.

He will simply start off being well-known in the eastern part of the state (Democrat country) and not well-known in the western part of the state (Republican country).  This is also obvious.

These two other things are potential baggage (much less so the budget deficit thingy); we'll have to how that impacts the campaign as time goes on.  It depends on how much people are already aware of it.

Anyway, my bet is that it'll probably be Nussle vs. Sec. of State Chet Culver.  The only poll that I've seen so far (about two months ago) gave Nussle a 41-35 lead over Culver.

Keep in mind, I don't give polls at this time of campaign much weight at all.  Wake me in about 8 months or so.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 12:26:30 PM »

I'm just glad that now we'll likely get his seat.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 12:35:14 PM »

Yes, but Bill Gluba (Conservative Democrat) will win the Seat and he will vote the GOP line.

So you don't get anything really.

Also Nussle is a Conservative, but he's not an :angry neocon." He is seen as a friendly family man in most of Iowa.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 01:06:41 PM »

Yes, but Bill Gluba (Conservative Democrat) will win the Seat and he will vote the GOP line.

Also Nussle is a Conservative, but he's not an :angry neocon." He is seen as a friendly family man in most of Iowa.

I'm looking at his site and it's hardly the GOP line. He is against NAFTA, wants more federal subsidies to farms, is strongly against SS privatization, and wants to expand education and health care spending.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »

I'm looking at his site and it's hardly the GOP line. He is against NAFTA, wants more federal subsidies to farms, is strongly against SS privatization, and wants to expand education and health care spending.

Kind of a Populist figure, but Conservative none the less. Every politician in Iowa is for more substidies, that's how yoy get elected in a farming state.
IowaLibert
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 02:26:41 PM »

Gluba? I live in IA-01 and Gluba ain't winning in '06 any more than he did in '04 or his earlier try. The Demos certainly have a chance to win this vacated seat, but it's going to take a better candidate/campaigner than ol' Bill Gluba.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 02:52:52 PM »

I've seen Nussle speak on the House floor 2 or 3 times, and he seems like a very angry neocon. Is this a correct perception?

Well, whatever he said on foreign affairs is rather more legitimate than what you say-- I believe Nussle was a foreign service officer for the State Dept.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 03:26:01 PM »

Wow, I support all of those positions. He's more of a Democrat than a Republican on those issues.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 07:28:55 PM »

Wow, I support all of those positions. He's more of a Democrat than a Republican on those issues.

You support more federal subsidies to farms?

The only people who support federal subsidies to farms are:

Farmers
People in farm states whose livelihoods depend on business from farmers
Politicians in farm states
Rabid protectionists
Cretins who have been duped by the farm lobby into thinking that farm subsidies are there to help small-time, family-owned farms.

Considering how liberal you are, Scoonie (and the fact that your livelihood is presumably in no way dependent on farm subsidies), I should think that farm subsidies would be near the top of your list of "Things to be thrown off the federal budget"--as farm subsidies, for the most part, are nothing but handouts to big business.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies