General Election-Clinton vs. Cruz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:08:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  General Election-Clinton vs. Cruz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is it possible that he can beat her?
No. He can't win.
It is virtually impossible but he has a miniscule chance
Unlikely but do-able
He has a very realistic chance to win
He is actually more likely to win than he is to lose
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: General Election-Clinton vs. Cruz  (Read 3675 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »

I think people seem to forget that Trump would likely run third party (by getting the nomination of a random third party like the constitution party) if Cruz manages to steal him the nomination. With both splitting the republican vote, Hillary would win.

Maybe I'm wrong but Trump isn't going to do nothing if Cruz steals him the nomination.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »

Ground Game? Are people forgetting that electoral college votes can't be stolen? He simply can't win. There is no path against Hillary Clinton.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2016, 08:26:31 PM by Virginia »

I think people seem to forget that Trump would likely run third party (by getting the nomination of a random third party like the constitution party) if Cruz manages to steal him the nomination. With both splitting the republican vote, Hillary would win.

Maybe I'm wrong but Trump isn't going to do nothing if Cruz steals him the nomination.

Even if he could get on the ballot after the nomination is taken from him (highly unlikely), it wouldn't make sense from a businessman's perspective to run 3rd party. Even Trump himself must know he won't win and it would be a giant waste of his money.

Rather, all he needs to do is tour the country and spend a little money on advertising telling his supporters to ditch the Republican party and stay home or vote for someone else. This is something I'm sure he will do in some form or another if they take the nomination from him. Trump doesn't seem like the guy to take such an insult quietly. He will retaliate and given his mastering of the media, I am sure he can make a big deal out of it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 09:34:34 PM »

Virginia,

Generally, I would say that I agree with you as far as this election cycle is concerned which I have to admit is very frustrating and a bit discouraging. It is absolutely essential that the party move to shift a significant share of the African American electorate which is made all the more difficult with a clownish candidate like Donald Trump doing seemingly everything that he can to induce antipathy from our minority communities towards the party. I can only see his campaign as doing yet more damage in this area. The party needs to go after 100% of the vote, as a Charlie Baker did in his Gubernatorial campaign here in Massachusetts or even John Kasich did in his re-election campaign as Governor of Ohio. If the party fails to do so, then it is in serious trouble moving forward.

In healthy political times, ethnic identity means little in voting. Yes, the gross inequality of treatment of blacks and whites in politics and economics still hurts. In good times people identify themselves with such statements as "I am a Texan", "I am a graduate of the University of Illinois", "I am a Baptist", "I am an accountant", "I am a Cardinals fan", or "I ski". "I am white", I hope, counts for very little. But it does count for much in the way that peopole see others.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even more significant is that the non-white, non-Anglo, non-Christian, and non-straight parts of the American middle class find the GOP hostile to their interests. Maybe the anti-intellectualism of GOP operatives and politicians suggests a hostility to some people's ways of joining the American middle class. People see joining the middle class as the result of individual achievement and not the result of capital formation.

Market freedom can at times be seen not so much that people can use the markets to their advantage but instead that the markets are means of enforcing the desires of those in the economic elite. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The 43rd President mucked things up badly with a speculative boom that went bad and wars for profit that turned into quagmires. He was an "Establishment" Republican, and the "Establishment" wing of the GOP (the part that puts most emphasis on tax cuts for the rich, relaxation of regulation, and faith in markets. "Establishment" Republicans except perhaps for John Kasich have been knocked out of the Presidential race.

Here's a bad trend for Republicans: at the same level of income, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians are more savvy about politics than white people.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 04:13:21 AM »

Ground Game? Are people forgetting that electoral college votes can't be stolen? He simply can't win. There is no path against Hillary Clinton.

Uh, ground game in the swing states.

I don't think Cruz has a great shot,  but please don't ever take anything he says about 20-6 seriously.  It's all garbage, believe me on this. Tongue
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 06:07:22 AM »

He's not winninf nomination anyways, his tax cut policy favors the wealthy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 12:29:37 PM »

He's not winninf nomination anyways, his tax cut policy favors the wealthy.

All the Republican tax plans favor the wealthy. The only difference between them is how obscene the debt/deficit increase will be and just how much they favor the wealthy.

The way things are looking now and based on what's happening with the delegates, I'd say Cruz is looking better and better for getting the nomination. If Trump can't secure it on the 1st ballot, then I'd say it's likely to be Cruz.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »

It is virtually impossible, but he has a chance.  Of course, John Anderson also had a chance.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies