make me a map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:35:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  make me a map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: make me a map  (Read 2795 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« on: June 25, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »

Generally speaking, eastern states are more concerned with social issues, western states more economic.

There are exceptions, of course: Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, DC, and Rhode Island all vote more on economic issues, while California is somewhat more social-oriented then most western states. The Midwest is mainly social, with a few exceptions.

There are many 'mixed' states that vote on both, especially the Great Plains and Rocky Mountain states (Which are genuinlely conservative, as opposed to populist states like West Virginia that vote on social issues or libertarian ones like Alaska). The Upper Midwest is also mixed, explaining its closeness in recent elections. Florida is also fairly mixed.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 07:07:04 PM »

I have to disagree with DanielX.  If Washington voted on economic issues only, it would be a swing state, perhaps with even a small Republican advantage.  We have high unemployment, but the well-to-do Seattle neighborhoods and suburbs are a major population center that would probably swing Republican under these circumstances.

And here we go:

States in grey are fairly even.  If I had to make it solid:

Maybe I should've said the 'West Coast' instead of 'California' is more social-oriented (this would include the more lefty areas of Oregon and Washington).

Also, I would say Utah is social-leaning mixed rather then a pure social (they're also economically conservative). Pennsylvania is mixed; the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas vote more on economic issues, the middle of the state votes more on social issues.  Iowa and Wisconsin are also mixed (most close states are).
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 09:17:07 AM »

Illinois, Colorado vote on social issues? Idaho, West Virginia on Economic?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies