What does Hillary Clinton say at fundraisers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:56:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What does Hillary Clinton say at fundraisers?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What does Hillary Clinton say at fundraisers?  (Read 4068 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »

Probably some real talk about her primary opponent (which most of us are already thinking) or the GOP that wouldn't play too well in public.  Grin

Good to see the money is being dispersed to the DNC and some state parties as well as the Clinton campaign, apparently.  Is Bernie doing the same thing with all his fundraising hauls?

It's sad that the Sandernistas see conspiracies everywhere. There's usually a lot of strategy talk at fundraisers, which is probably why they're not letting the content slip out.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2016, 08:28:35 AM by Mr. Morden »

I can take a wild guess as to the general content of Hillary's speech to a group of people willing to give a lot of money to the Democratic Party, and why she wouldn't want video/audio evidence of it:

"The Republicans are batsh[Inks] crazy, goddamn as$holes.  I need your money to stop them."

Anybody else want to take a stab at it?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

She probably talks about stuff she can implement to favor them?

I mean you can't be this dumb, there are giving big money, obviously they have to be given something in return or are they dumb that they want to throw money just like that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »

Surely you can't be that stupid, so I have to conclude that you're being ridiculously disingenuous.

It seems to me that you're the disingenuous one. You believe obviously that in those kind of meetings Clinton conspires with the wealthy donors present to dupe the people into voting her and then enforce policies that reward the latter. And you're just frustrated because there isn't a way for that incriminating stuff to come out and help your candidate.
Alas, the truth is much more mundane. I suggest you read Game Change. It contains an interesting anecdote about a 2008 fundraiser with Bill Clinton at the aftermath of Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama.

You started this discussion by citing two recent Presidential candidates who got rightfully blasted for making deeply offensive remarks at their fundraisers. Neither you nor I know if Hillary is saying stuff like that too, but you certainly can't exclude the possibility.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 09:02:37 PM »

Surely you can't be that stupid, so I have to conclude that you're being ridiculously disingenuous.

It seems to me that you're the disingenuous one. You believe obviously that in those kind of meetings Clinton conspires with the wealthy donors present to dupe the people into voting her and then enforce policies that reward the latter. And you're just frustrated because there isn't a way for that incriminating stuff to come out and help your candidate.
Alas, the truth is much more mundane. I suggest you read Game Change. It contains an interesting anecdote about a 2008 fundraiser with Bill Clinton at the aftermath of Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama.

You started this discussion by citing two recent Presidential candidates who got rightfully blasted for making deeply offensive remarks at their fundraisers. Neither you nor I know if Hillary is saying stuff like that too, but you certainly can't exclude the possibility.

So you are curious to know if Hillary called Appalachian whites "rednecks" or if she called Ted Cruz an "asshole".
Me, I have more serious thing to agonize over.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

Tony and I obviously disagree with the preferred outcome of this, but he's a Bernie supporter, not a hack. I've been to enough private party fundraisers to know what generally gets said in them to know that there's bit more honesty, and a lot of discussion of electoral strategy. Frankly, often it's an opportunity for candidates to de-stress and let stuff off their chests.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »

So you are curious to know if Hillary called Appalachian whites "rednecks" or if she called Ted Cruz an "asshole".

It's pretty important to know what a presidential candidate truly thinks of the people she's running to represent.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »

It's pretty important to know what a presidential candidate truly thinks of the people she's running to represent.

"bitter cling"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 09:21:43 PM »

"bitter cling"

Yes, as I said that was a pretty awful thing to say (nowhere near as bad as the 47% one, but still).
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »

I can take a wild guess as to the general content of Hillary's speech to a group of people willing to give a lot of money to the Democratic Party, and why she wouldn't want video/audio evidence of it:

"The Republicans are batsh[Inks] crazy, goddamn assholes.  I need your money to stop them."

Anybody else want to take a stab at it?

No more likely it was along the lines of *peels off human mask, flicks lizard tongue* "Fellow reptilians! The revolution has been defeated through biased corporate illuminati media and Goldman Sachs or whatever - at last, our time is at hand!" *cackles like a woman*
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »

I mean you can't be this dumb, there are giving big money, obviously they have to be given something in return or are they dumb that they want to throw money just like that.

Ah, spoken like a true simpleton.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 10:35:39 PM »

Given that Clinton uses noise machines directed at the press to prevent them from covering her private fundraisers, what could she possibly be saying that warrants such a lack of transparency?

"I'm a woman, and my last name is 'Clinton'! Give me money!"
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 10:49:16 PM »

"You go into these colleges in New York and, like a lot of colleges in the Northeast, tuition has gone through the roof while the minimum wage has been stagnant. And they fell through the Bush administration, and the Obama administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow life will get easier for these young people and it has not.
And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to entitlement or social justice or antipathy toward older generations who aren't like them or anti-establishment sentiment or anti-authority sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 11:03:43 PM »

Probably generic good stuff about people that give lots of money to campaigns, since that's what you say to get people to give you lots of money.

Not really anything dramatic, just off brand for this cycle ((and her desperate, "Hello, fellow kids"ish attempt to seem progressive)).
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 12:07:59 AM »

Also, I should point out that the evidence of a sound machine is flimsy at best.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »

One of the saddest and most disturbing things about the Sanders campaign and their supporters is the way they start from a place of utter distrust and assume the worst intentions in everyone, and then demand that their opponent be held to absurdly high standards in order to prove a negative, to prove that the Sanders campaign's dastardly insinuations are not justified.  So most people are ok assuming that Clinton is having normal strategy conversations with her donors at these meetings, just like every presidential candidate ever.  The Sanders people start from the assumption that she's selling out the American people or revealing "what she really thinks", which would obviously be something horrible and campaign-ending, and then now it seems like y'all not only want to demand that she allow them to be recorded, but are saying that it's the patriotic duty of every American to do so and that's how the political process should work.

And the most irritating part is that you only do it on issues where the divide works against Clinton, like here where Sanders doesn't have meetings because he doesn't have friends doesn't have any big donors.  We could just as easily make these disingenuous assumptions about Sanders' behavior and force him to do something degrading or prostate himself to prove that he's not actually a nefarious evildoer, but we don't.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2016, 08:56:49 AM by Castro »

That's the fundamental problem that is being misunderstood. It's not that people are assuming she's saying something bad at this fundraiser, it's that people don't feel like they should have to assume she's not saying anything bad. This isn't coming from out of the blue, and is reinforced heavily by the fact that she makes claims about saying one thing but doesn't back those claims up (like when she says she told Wall Street to "Cut it out" but still won't release transcripts of her speech that could easily prove her word). If she's being held to a higher standard, it's because she is staking a claim on ground that requires higher scrutiny. It's not as simple as "oh, many Democrats just have it out for her". A lot of Democrats, including myself, want to be able to support her, but it's actions like these that make it difficult.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »

Rulers have conspired against the people for millennia and we've survived. Get over it.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »

Thank you for finally ending his career. I was so sick of that guy. I can't believe it took so long for someone to roast him.

Lol "roast". He made a pretty logical point actually so i boldened it.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:29 AM »

Thank you for finally ending his career. I was so sick of that guy. I can't believe it took so long for someone to roast him.

You have to incredibly dumb to deny this - I refuse to expect that Atlas is this full of mentally challenged people, people are biased due to their support here & accordingly frame view-points.

If I had to throw money I would actually look @ Charity & children stuff which would bring me tremendous goodwill & which nowadays every company uses for image/brand make-over as well as marketing purposes.

I pay 5M$ to a politician in his/her presidential campaign without any potential benefit? Why - Because I am inspired by her? Or I like Hillary's hair? Or her famous surname?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2016, 11:12:30 AM »

A lot of Democrats, including myself

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2016, 11:48:44 AM »

I guess you don't have an actual response.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

I guess you don't have an actual response.

No I don't mr. Democrat for Kasich.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2016, 12:48:01 PM by Virginia »

If I had to throw money I would actually look @ Charity & children stuff which would bring me tremendous goodwill & which nowadays every company uses for image/brand make-over as well as marketing purposes.

I pay 5M$ to a politician in his/her presidential campaign without any potential benefit? Why - Because I am inspired by her? Or I like Hillary's hair? Or her famous surname?

Please! Look, do you understand just how rich some people are? Do you understand that some people see government as a great way to advance social/humanitarian goals? Do you realize that some people see campaign donations as a way to help repair damage they see as being done to this country? Not everyone cares about money as fervently as you seem to think.

Not everyone thinks like you. Some people have enough money where they can give large sums and not bat an eye. If I had hundreds of millions, hell, even less, I'd easily invest tens of millions in ballot initiatives and campaign donations solely for advancing voting rights and campaign finance reform. There are a lot of well-off/rich people out there who think the same way, except for different issues.

Just because someone gives money doesn't always mean they want something, or that they want something bad/harmful to the country. You need to get that idea out of your head because it's absurd. It's a damn shame that so many people think that just because you're rich and investing money in politics, that you're 100% evil and have selfish, corrupt goals. There are a lot of rich people who actually do care about this country and the planet. You shouldn't confuse them with people like the Kochs and Adelsons of the world.

This is why I called you a simpleton - Because your views are so narrowly focused on something that isn't even accurate. As far as I can tell, it's not even an insult. It's the truth.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »

She says "love you guys, you guys are awesome, give me money."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies