Seriously democrats, this is getting out of hand.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:27:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Seriously democrats, this is getting out of hand.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Seriously democrats, this is getting out of hand.  (Read 4879 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »

I just hope that Sanders (or, if her campaign suffers a spectacular collapse, Clinton) endorses the other after the final primaries. I expect that, faced with the possibility of Republican control of the presidency, Congress, and the Supreme Court, most liberals/Democrats will vote for the Democratic nominee.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »

Sanders is mental case, so this shouldn't surprise anyone (except Sanders supporters, who are also mental cases.) #FeelingTheMentalBurn
DS0816
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »

Sanders is mental case, so this shouldn't surprise anyone (except Sanders supporters, who are also mental cases.) #FeelingTheMentalBurn

Go ahead and explain why you believe this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

So 58% of Americans would vote for a mental case over Trump?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2016, 05:37:53 PM by Chickenhawk »

I sincerely hope he launches a platform fight at the convention.

What was it again that that New England lefty challenger said after going after the shifty, "all things to all people" politician? Ah yes, "The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

It is condescending to believe that those who think that Clinton's closeness with corporations and the elite in general is a problem are, "repeating right wing talking points." Clinton participates in a corrupt system, whether she engages in quid pro quo or not.

Do I think she murdered that white house counsel guy in the 90s? No.

Do I think her 'evolution' on issues to the left over the course of 2015 has been incredibly suspicious? Yes.

There's a real ideological difference in the party right now, rather than '08. I think that and social media are what's causing the problem. Each side is being told by the other that they don't belong in the party because they believe X, and that's VERY different from "I don't like the personality of the candidate you chose."

Despite my self awareness about the above, corporatists don't belong in the party of Bryan.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

I just hope that Sanders (or, if her campaign suffers a spectacular collapse, Clinton) endorses the other after the final primaries. I expect that, faced with the possibility of Republican control of the presidency, Congress, and the Supreme Court, most liberals/Democrats will vote for the Democratic nominee.

He will do this, no question, though he will bluff Hillary into thinking that he won't endorse her to extract progressive concessions.

Seriously fellow democrats, the party really needs to come together and stop acting like republicans.

They are not acting anything close to the Republicans.
Not comparable at all !

To be fair, there are very few anti-Clinton right-wing smears the Sanders campaign hasn't embraced.
Maybe during the run-up to the New York primary we'll see ol' Bernie start talking about Vince Foster's murder.

Absurd and hackish assertion.  The Sanders' campaign nor the most deranged people on R Sanders have ever mentioned Whitewater, Lewinsky, Benghazi, or any of the phony right-wing Clinton scandals promulgated over the years.

They have, however, mostly though not always fairly, attacked Clinton from the left in a way that she deserves to be attacked.

Hell, even though I'm a hardcore Sanders supporter, there are a number of issues that he is stupid on that he needs to receive a few punches for/a number of hypocrisies that he needs to be called out on.

This idea that you can't criticize someone because they are in your party or you might hurt their electoral prospects is bogus.  A lack of criticism not only hurts everyone in the long run, it eventually causes you to decay as a candidate. 

The criticism has to be nuanced - yes Hillary needs to be called out for and punished for her support of a corrupt money-infested pluralist system and a lack of credible commitment to regulation - but it also needs to be made clear that Donald Trump or the Repubs are at the same time a substantially worse choice and there is too much at stake to stay home.  Yes, Sanders needs to be praised for his integrity and his message - but he cannot be immune to criticism for some of his dumb proposals/hypocrisies/held up as a messiah figure.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »

Meh, 2008 was worse, hell 68 was more contentious as well.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »

I think this is worse than 2008. But 1968 would be almost impossible to beat.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »

To put it mildly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »

I think this is worse than 2008.

Only because this time you're with the loser.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »

It is not even close to as bad as 2008. There was actually bad blood between the Obama and Clinton camp.

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 06:22:13 PM »

It is not even close to as bad as 2008. There was actually bad blood between the Obama and Clinton camp.

It all started when Obama poached one of Hillary's backup dancers
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »

You know what's funny? Despite the amounts of hate and mindless bashing that goes on between Hillary and Bernie's hacks on this forum, the actual Dem primary campaign continues to be one of the most civil and peaceful in modern history.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »

Yeah, I mean, it's not like there's every going to be a primary without any attacks or criticism. This primary is far more mild than 2008, and it's a lovefest compared to what's going on in the Republican primary right now.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »

You know what's funny? Despite the amounts of hate and mindless bashing that goes on between Hillary and Bernie's hacks on this forum, the actual Dem primary campaign continues to be one of the most civil and peaceful in modern history.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like there's every going to be a primary without any attacks or criticism. This primary is far more mild than 2008, and it's a lovefest compared to what's going on in the Republican primary right now.

This and This.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »

Never thought I'd say this: It's come to the point where I'd vote for that mule Cruz over Hillary.

Thank goodness I live in a state that's a Hillary given, so if it comes down to it (and it appears it may), I can vote for Johnson without giving it a second thought...
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 01:20:22 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2016, 01:28:10 AM by Ogre Mage »

While the tenor between the Clinton and Sanders camp is not as 100% cordial as it was at the beginning, this is the mildest Democratic Primary I have seen since I began closely watching campaigns in 2004.  In fact I'd say it was probably milder than 1992 as well.

There has been A LOT of blood on the floor in social media between supporters of the candidates, which perhaps makes the overall situation look worse than it is.  Since that technology is new, we can't really compare it to the campaigns of the past.
Desroko
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 01:22:58 AM »

Far worse. You can tell how much attention a person was paying 8 years ago when they complain about the tone this cycle. Even 1992 was worse.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2016, 09:09:09 AM by Chickenhawk »

While the tenor between the Clinton and Sanders camp is not as 100% cordial as it was at the beginning, this is the mildest Democratic Primary I have seen since I began closely watching campaigns in 2004.  In fact I'd say it was probably milder than 1992 as well.

There has been A LOT of blood on the floor in social media between supporters of the candidates, which perhaps makes the overall situation look worse than it is.  Since that technology is new, we can't really compare it to the campaigns of the past.

That's generally what I mean when I say 'it's worse'

Namely, the rank and file are going after each other pretty viciously, and it seems to be exposing genuine fault lines in the party. It feels pretty bad to be a Dem right now, on both sides.  (I'd imagine it feels WORSE to be GOP, but that's beside the point.)

The committees and candidates themselves have played it pretty tame, I'd agree.

I mean, if your supporters already hate the opposition all by themselves, why would you need to engage in attacks to rile them up?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »

Far worse. You can tell how much attention a person was paying 8 years ago when they complain about the tone this cycle. Even 1992 was worse.
I was paying plenty of attention in 2008 and in 1992 for that matter. I'm not talking about the candidates, who have been fairly cordial, but their supporters.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 12:21:07 PM »

I was paying plenty of attention in 2008 and in 1992 for that matter. I'm not talking about the candidates, who have been fairly cordial, but their supporters.

Prior to the election of GWB (including the 2000 cycle), the general sense was that there wasn't much difference between the Republicans and Democrats, and apart from maybe the wedge issue of abortion, election outcomes were of little real consequence.  The disaster of W's presidency and the great cultural divide that opened up is what has created the animus between supporters of the different candidates.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »

The candidates are relatively civil themselves (Sanders significantly less so than Hillary) but online the Sanders supporters are far angrier and more rabidly hateful than the Clinton pumas were in 08.  It's a never-ending cyclone of toxicity and hate.  You don't see much of that from the Clinton supporters.  If the Bernie camp is encouraging this, shame on him a hundred times over.  I think it may just be, though, that self-centered young people think Bernie is so important that any slight against him is the end of democracy and his opponent is an evil bitch just like the Republicans have been saying for years.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

Social media amplifies these kinds of disagreements pretty significantly and gives voice to angrier, more extreme supporters on BOTH sides. I have zero doubt most Bernie supporters do not think Hillary is a harpy and would vote Trump over her - they simply disagree with her policies.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »

Prior to the election of GWB (including the 2000 cycle), the general sense was that there wasn't much difference between the Republicans and Democrats, and apart from maybe the wedge issue of abortion, election outcomes were of little real consequence.  The disaster of W's presidency and the great cultural divide that opened up is what has created the animus between supporters of the different candidates.

You still had people claiming Bill Clinton was literally murdering people on a list pre-W.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »

The candidates are relatively civil themselves (Sanders significantly less so than Hillary) but online the Sanders supporters are far angrier and more rabidly hateful than the Clinton pumas were in 08.  It's a never-ending cyclone of toxicity and hate.  You don't see much of that from the Clinton supporters.  If the Bernie camp is encouraging this, shame on him a hundred times over.  I think it may just be, though, that self-centered young people think Bernie is so important that any slight against him is the end of democracy and his opponent is an evil bitch just like the Republicans have been saying for years.

I certainly think that there's a cult of personality, too, that affects the behavior. He's THEIRS in some way, and his most ardent supporters feel like a critique of him is a critique of their beliefs, which in this day and age is of course an unacceptable affront.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies