Donald Trump is going to have enormous difficulty filling his VP slot....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 06:33:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Donald Trump is going to have enormous difficulty filling his VP slot....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Donald Trump is going to have enormous difficulty filling his VP slot....  (Read 5875 times)
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
« edited: March 29, 2016, 06:05:41 PM by i4indyguy »

With a high quality candidate at least...

In any given year, of the top 50 candidates for VP, almost all of them will fall under these groups:
1)Governors or ex
2)Senators or ex
3)High Profile cabinet members from previous friendly admins (Condi for instance)
4)Famous 4-5 star generals. (Patreaus, Powell)

Why would people from the above categories throw themselves at the feet of Trump to be on his ticket (and tie themselves to him for all time)... I cant imagine.

Being a VP nominee for Donald would present 2 troubles:
1. Donald is the exact opposite of everything an ambitious VP might want to serve under. 

He soaks up all the attention for himself, just based on his personality. He is totally unpredictable, messaging wise, and his vp would spend months apologizing for or walking back the things he might say. Which doesn't sound fun to me. The interest that Trump has demonstrated in accepting council from vastly more experienced politicians has been um... LIMITED.  For any number of reasons, I feel a vp slot on the ticket, or in the white house, would be an ungratifying and thankless job.

2. It is (my belief) far more likely that attaching oneself to Donald trump would be more destructive and harmful to future electoral success, and possibly post-political earning power, than any benefit that could be derived from the fame and platforms that would come from a national campaign. 

If you are David Patreaus, why would you cap your decades of prestigious military service by joining yourself to Donald trump hip? What could an ambitious gov or sen like Christie or Rob Portman gain from being on a national ticket with Donald Trump? Even if the Donald was to win the presidency, how many people think his time in office would end with 'long coat-tails' propelling a VP to the top office a la HW Bush?   Not me.    The fact is that the established pollsters and pundits think a trump GE win is a worse proposition than a coin flip; how many sitting senators or governors would assess that they would come out of a failed Trump presidential ticket looking better than they did before joining him? 

There are a couple people who do catch my eye as potential VPs though.
Sen Jeff Sessions.
Gov. Paul Lapage.
Former House rep Alan West.

EDIT: Also Ben Carson

These guys seem to have the incentives and policy synergy to mesh with an unorthodox candidate like Donald.

Who do you think may serioiusly entertain the idea of joining a potential Donald trump on a national ticket? Would love to hear your thoughts....

Also, first post.   So hello forum.

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »

Politicians who are tainted, unpopular, and need career defibrillation like Christie are the most likely candidates as far as actual politicians go (I think Trump might also stupidly consider political hosts/reality stars like Sarah Palin and fellow CEOs like Mark Cuban as well).

The idea behind politicians actually saying yes, as you said, is that it is a big gamble and likely only one to be made by someone with nothing to lose.
The War of Trumpkin's Ear
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »

Trump won't need a running mate.  Vice Presidents are for wimpy failed presidents who can't make it through a paltry eight years of consciousness.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »

I think Scott Brown is a good bet. One of the first Trump supporters from the mainstream, not a loose cannon, crossover appeal and probably not much of a career otherwise.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

I agree that many of the obvious choices will decline to participate in the vetting process.  The media asks anyone remotely high profile within the party if they're open to running for VP, and I think we'll get a record number of "no's" this time.

I agree with Crabby that Scott Brown would make sense as a short lister.  The big drawback of course is the abortion issue.  If Trump's people convince him that that's a deal killer, then the other obvious choices in my mind are Mike Huckabee and Rick Scott.  Not that those are necessarily "smart" choices IMHO.  But they're the kind of picks that Trump might make.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »

Trump won't need a running mate.  Vice Presidents are for wimpy failed presidents who can't make it through a paltry eight years of consciousness.

Pretty sure the Vice President is in the Constitution.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:37:11 PM »

I don't think Trump will have a problem finding a VP, in fact a hostile convention will probably assign an "acceptable" VP to the ticket regardless of who Trump wants.

Welcome to the forum!
Mr.Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »

Julian Castro wont be a failure for Hilary.

His best bet is to go with Hailey or Carson
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »

That's somebody else's problem.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »

Not that I want Trump to win, but he has plausible selections based on people who have already endorsed him (Chris Christie. Scott Brown, Rick Scott, Jim Webb.)

It's not like being on a ticket with him would hurt their careers.

Someone with more to lose might run for the good of the party, or as a way to prevent someone else from getting the national spotlight.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »

Scott Brown is the most likely choice, imo.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »

Julian Castro wont be a failure for Hilary.

But what does that have to do with... anything...?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »

The main problem is that if Trump's ticket doesn't win, his VP pick will never have a chance to be President.  Indeed, he/she may be permanently tainted under those circumstances.

If he weren't 78 years old, I'd push for him to pick Uncle Pat!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:48 PM »

Omarosa.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »

What happens if the VP resigns? Here in Argentina the position is vacant until the next elections (no VP for 1991-95 and 2000-03)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »

What happens if the VP resigns? Here in Argentina the position is vacant until the next elections (no VP for 1991-95 and 2000-03)

While in office, you mean?  The President nominates a new VP and Congress confirms his choice.

This is how President Ford became VP and then Prez - Nixon had a VP who was just as corrupt and had to resign, he nominated Ford who was easily confirmed, then Nixon had to resign himself and Ford took over.

This is why Ford is famously the only President never to have been "elected with [our] votes, but rather confirmed with [our] prayers."
indietraveler

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »

Sarah Palin please

It's going to have to be a hard right conservative or a moderate who will forever be tied to Trump and doesn't care about getting elected for anything ever again.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »

OK, here's a question: Other than Palin, are there any women who might plausibly end up agreeing to being vetted by Trump for this, who will end up on the short list?  I'm assuming that Haley and Martinez would decline, for example.  Presumably Ayotte would too, since she's busy with reelection.  Who else is out there who might do it?  Would Ernst consider it?  What about someone from the House?
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »

OK, here's a question: Other than Palin, are there any women who might plausibly end up agreeing to being vetted by Trump for this, who will end up on the short list?  I'm assuming that Haley and Martinez would decline, for example.  Presumably Ayotte would too, since she's busy with reelection.  Who else is out there who might do it?  Would Ernst consider it?  What about someone from the House?

You're assuming that Trump's even going to do a thorough vet of whoever he picks.

With the unorthodox and unconventional way he's run his campaign so far e.g. no internal polling whatsoever, no real press team or opposition research department etc etc, I think it's more likely he's just going to be pick whoever he wants to with little or no background vet done on them.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »

You're assuming that Trump's even going to do a thorough vet of whoever he picks.

With the unorthodox and unconventional way he's run his campaign so far e.g. no internal polling whatsoever, no real press team or opposition research department etc etc, I think it's more likely he's just going to be pick whoever he wants to with little or no background vet done on them.

A few choice tweets will be enough to put any concerns to rest.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »

Marsha Blackburn
dax00

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 10:25:32 PM »

Thank you. I've been saying it all along.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »

I've been thinking Jan Brewer might be a good fit. Vetoed the crazy anti-gay bill, would quiet the anti-woman nonsense, and is a fit for him on immigration and so on.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:11 PM »

Trump's running mate would have to be someone who:
-is an experienced politician, at least a congressman, governor or senator preferred
-has no past history of racism
-has standard Republican views on hot button conservative issues like guns, abortion, etc
-can placate moderate/establishment Republicans
-demeanor/style contrasts with Trump
-appeals to Evangelicals

Bonus if:
-relatively young (under 50 or at least 55)
-from a swing state
-veteran
-minority
-female

Some names mentioned that wouldn't work:
-Jeff Sessions (racism)
-Paul Lepage (racism)
-Ben Carson (no political background)
-Scott Brown (unless he "evolves" on abortion)
-Jim Webb (pro-choice Democrat)
-Sarah Palin (a total joke to anyone who isn't a tea partier)

Rick Scott would be the most logical choice as a swing state governor, but he seems to be unpopular in Florida. Chris Christie is another loud, brash New York(area)er. Kasich and Rubio have said they will not be anyone's VP. Allen West might be a good choice, former congressman from Florida, Black, veteran, evangelical, tea party appeal, 55 years old.
bigedlb
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »

Col Alan West
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies