Republican MI/MS/ID/HI election results thread (first results @8pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican MI/MS/ID/HI election results thread (first results @8pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
Author Topic: Republican MI/MS/ID/HI election results thread (first results @8pm ET)  (Read 37743 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:54 AM »

I've got a great reason why people are rejecting Rubio, and it is from a HOME STATE NEWSPAPER
win win
dxu8888

« Reply #601 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:59 AM »

Explain to me how Marco Rubio cant even  win a state like this?

People just really, really do not want Marco Rubio. I'm not sure there is a good explanation for why. Sad

My personal reason are 1) he is way underqualified to even be a senator 2) he is lazy and 3) seems like he only works for 5 billionaires
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #602 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:11 AM »

Hawaii is looking for Trump as Idaho did for Cruz.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:42 AM »

Final results for that giant Honolulu site:

Trump 327
Cruz 285
Rubio 82
Kasich 47
Carson 6
Bush 1

That's it then.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:10 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2016, 02:04:08 AM by Arch »

Trump 327
Cruz 285
Rubio 82
Kasich 47
Carson 6
Bush 1

That's it then.

GG
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:16 AM »

Trump 327
Cruz 285
Rubio 82
Kasich 47
Carson 6
Bush 1

Do you know the name of this site or what the HD was?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:17 AM »

Trump is taking Hawaii too? I feel numbed by sadness. Is this real life?

Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality! Open your eyes, look up to the sky and see...
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2016, 02:03:37 AM »

Anyone have a point of reference to compare this to other primaries?

6% of dems is probably irrelevant but seems a bit high, especially considering there is a dem primary going on at the same time.
In an ordinary Michgan primary, you are handed a ballot for both parties, and go in a voting booth and select your ballot in secret. So some voters are accustomed to gaming the system.

The DNC in particular demands that voters publicly identify with the party. In past elections, they have not allowed the use of the Michigan primary for selection of delegates. Now you have to make a public declaration.

This was a pure presidential primary, no other contests on the ballot, so some voters will have no problem asking for a Republican ballot, and then telling a pollster they are a "Democrat". Most self-described independents lean fairly strongly one way or the other, so some of those "independents" vote Republican all the time, and probably have picked the Republican primary ballot the last 10 elections. Of course there will be other "independents" who never vote in the primary, but almost always pick the Republican candidates in the general election.

If a "Democrat" was actively trying to interfere in the Republican primary, they would probably tell a pollster that they were "independent".
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2016, 02:05:25 AM »

Hawaii loves TRUMB.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2016, 02:06:51 AM »

Explain to me how Marco Rubio cant even  win a state like this?

People just really, really do not want Marco Rubio. I'm not sure there is a good explanation for why. Sad

My personal reason are 1) he is way underqualified to even be a senator 2) he is lazy and 3) seems like he only works for 5 billionaires

I guess those are indeed very good reasons, but wouldn't Cruz and Trump each fall into at least one of those categories?

It just seems that, while Rubio isn't awesome, he would be more desirable to the general electorate than Trump or Cruz. At least on paper.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2016, 02:08:14 AM »

The funny thing is that Trump IS one of the billionaires for which politicians work for in the current system, and his supporters think he's outside the establishment, when he's the very epitome of it. Not that there aren't a ton of other reasons why NOT to support him.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:42 AM »

I would never tell someone they are wrong to vote their heart, and clearly Trump is in the heart of many American's.

I just have this feeling that the world is laughing at us right now.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2016, 02:13:08 AM »

I would never tell someone they are wrong to vote their heart, and clearly Trump is in the heart of many American's.

I just have this feeling that the world is laughing at us right now.

They are wrong in this very exceptional case. Period.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:46 AM »

Calling Trump supporters "wrong", "idiots", etc., only hardens their support for Trump and further disenfranchises them. You want to win over them? Don't belittle them.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:02 AM »

Cruz creeping upwards a little, Rubio sinking even further. Trump still dominating.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:11 AM »

trump is the most liberal republican to be nominated since ford and democrats/liberals are terrified.

I do not get it. I just don't.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2016, 02:17:21 AM »

Calling Trump supporters "wrong", "idiots", etc., only hardens their support for Trump and further disenfranchises them. You want to win over them? Don't belittle them.

I can understand the idea, but the reality is harder.

They're voting for a liar who makes his hats in Mexico. I don't know how to engage with anyone willing to do that.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2016, 02:17:55 AM »

ugh get away fak u ted
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2016, 02:19:02 AM »

I acknowledge that attacking them personally is belittling and would not serve anyone well, but criticizing a position/idea by calling it wrong is not belittling. It's a part of discourse, and they are welcome to challenge me on it. I've laid out my positions on why the position is wrong over a number of posts. A huge problem nowadays is that people take critical approaches towards ideology as personal attacks, and that is simply not the case.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2016, 02:19:16 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2016, 02:22:36 AM by locke lamora »

I'm very far left so I honestly don't understand why anyone would support a Republican (not just Trump but any Republican) but my brother until recently was a Trump supporter.  He has finished grad school, has a 6 digit salary and lives in a very liberal city, but he told me that at least Trump has done a few things in his life unlike all the other candidates.
I then told him about the whole birth certificate story and his comments about Mexicans, and he realized that he didn't know enough about Trump.  But I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there like my brother.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2016, 02:20:54 AM »

trump is the most liberal republican to be nominated since ford and democrats/liberals are terrified.

How is he liberal exactly? His positions are incredibly vague and could be tagged as extremely conservative as well. His Foreign policy is certainly NOT liberal; it's not even moderate. I am even willing to venture to say that Reagan and maybe even H.W. would be liberals by today's GOP standards.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »

How is he liberal exactly? His positions are incredibly vague and could be tagged as extremely conservative as well. His Foreign policy is certainly NOT liberal; it's not even moderate. I am even willing to venture to say that Reagan and maybe even H.W. would be liberals by today's GOP standards.

His FP is certainly less neoconservative than the generic GOP position on FP at least
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:40 AM »

Trump has changed due to primary season, but I think it is reasonable to think that

A) Trump does not care much about abortion and gay marriage
B) genuinely thinks the government needs to be more involved in healthcare
C) his position on trade is similar to a generic democrat's from the 80s
D) opposes nation building
E) doens't want to cut entitlements, and rarely brings up welfare
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:00 AM »

Trump by virtue of being a Jacksonian as opposed to a Neocon is a world more moderate than Dubya on foreign policy.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:14 AM »

His FP is certainly less neoconservative than the generic GOP position on FP at least

Ban all Muslims, build a wall, "bomb bomb bomb"... Huh
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies