Cuccinelli nominated for Va. Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:54:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuccinelli nominated for Va. Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cuccinelli nominated for Va. Supreme Court  (Read 2124 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-senate-panel-proposes-cuccinelli-for-state-supreme-court/2016/03/08/96f50846-e49a-11e5-b0fd-073d5930a7b7_story.html

"Sen. Richard Stuart (R-Stafford) proposed [Former Attorney General Ken] Cuccinelli after the Senate failed to muster the votes needed to elevate Appeals Court Judge Rossie D. Alston Jr. to the state Supreme Court. The Senate Courts of Justice Committee promptly certified Cuccinelli for the slot on a party-line vote, a move that sends his name to the full Senate for consideration."

"Among those who voted to advance Cuccinelli’s name was Sen. Glen Sturtevant (R-Richmond), the freshman senator who had, until now, refused to go along with his party’s plan to oust McAuliffe’s pick for the slot, former justice Jane Marum Roush. Republicans have pressed since January to put Alston in the slot, which McAuliffe had twice given on a temporary basis to Roush, a former Fairfax County Circuit Court judge.

The Republican-controlled legislature has refused to give Roush a full 12-year appointment. Her most recent appointment expired in February, leaving her unemployed and the court shorthanded."

If approved, this could remove Cuccinelli from the political field for 12 years.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »

surely virginia can find a better supreme court justice than cuckinelli
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »

Does the Governor have any say here? I understand that the Senate voted down his pick but can he refuse their choice in turn?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »

Does the Governor have any say here? I understand that the Senate voted down his pick but can he refuse their choice in turn?

No. Under the Virginia Constitution the General Assembly nominates and elects Judges for a fixed time. The Governor may only nominate Judges when the General Assembly is out of session.

Art. 6, Sec. 7:

"The justices of the Supreme Court shall be chosen by the vote of a majority of the members elected to each house of the General Assembly for terms of twelve years. The judges of all other courts of record shall be chosen by the vote of a majority of the members elected to each house of the General Assembly for terms of eight years. During any vacancy which may exist while the General Assembly is not in session, the Governor may appoint a successor to serve until thirty days after the commencement of the next session of the General Assembly. Upon election by the General Assembly, a new justice or judge shall begin service of a full term."
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »

Cuccinelli is the go-to GOP Solicitor General/Replacement for Thomas or Alito if this happens. He has a likeable personality IMO, so I wouldn't mind him being one of the conservatives on the SCOTUS.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 01:29:21 AM »

Cuccinelli is the go-to GOP Solicitor General/Replacement for Thomas or Alito if this happens. He has a likeable personality IMO, so I wouldn't mind him being one of the conservatives on the SCOTUS.

Unfortunately he requested his name not be considered by the General Assembly. They still can, but no reason they will if he's just going to refuse.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »

You know how much money he's making right now? Why would he ever accept this?

Junk legislature!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »

I would appoint him to SCOTUS if, I was President.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »

I would appoint him to SCOTUS if, I was President.

Same here. After Cruz or Lee.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

I wanted Cruz to be on the Supreme Court.  But, it's now clear that he has to be President!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »

Please tell me you guys are only mentioning Cruz because you're unaware of other conservatives. Cruz is a terrible human being, and I think it would be hard for even the most stubborn ultra-conservatives to deny that.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »

Cuccinelli would be great on the VA. Supreme Court, but I'd rather have him be governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies