Bernie wins nomination, AND presidency, AND gets all his ideas passed...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:23:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Bernie wins nomination, AND presidency, AND gets all his ideas passed...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie wins nomination, AND presidency, AND gets all his ideas passed...  (Read 1503 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
« edited: March 08, 2016, 07:31:37 PM by Blue3 »

Let's saying Bernie ...

1. wins the nomination

2. AND wins presidency, serves 2 complete terms

3. AND gets all his ideas passed:
a- single-payer healthcare, plus Medicare negotiation, import drugs from Canada, accelerate getting generic drugs on the market
b- free public colleges
c- campaign finance reform
d- breaks up the big banks, bring back Glass-Steagall
e- higher taxes on wealthy and corporations and financial transactions
f- carbon tax, and more investment in clean energy
g- $15/hour minimum wage, including the tipped minimum wage
h- $1 trillion infrastructure spending (including transportation, electric, water, broadband, airport, seaport, dam, levee)
i- fair trade renegotiations of existing trade deals
j- expanded Social Security, with lifting the cap so it has no funding problems
k- 12 weeks of paid family/medical leave
l- mandatory paid vacation days of 10 per year
m- minimum of 7 paid sick days per year
n- universal childcare
o- universal pre-K
p- immigration reform, including a path to citizenship
q- criminal justice reform, police body cameras, legalize marijuana, ban for-profit prisons, eliminate mandatory minimum sentencing
r- early voting expansion, Election Day a federal holiday, felons can vote, automatic voter registration
s- expanded Planned Parenthood
t- the Equality Act, to ban LGBT+ discrimination federally in employment/housing/medicine/finance/education/public-accommodations/etc.
u- fully fund and expand the VA
v- expanded SSDI program for the disabled so they get bigger paychecks
w- expanded youth jobs programs
x- the deficit shrinks, the budget even balances with all the new revenue
y- unemployment remains low
z- there's no major foreign policy blunders

4. AND he leaves office in January 2025 with at least a 51%+ approval rating

Those are the 4 givens. It's a dream (and I'm supporting Hillary in the primaries) but let's say the dream comes true, for the purpose of this discussion. Then...

What does the Democratic Party run on afterwards?

Do they basically become conservatives, who only care about conserving the new domestic policy status quo, and maybe foreign policy?
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »

They run on the fact that Bernie Sanders not only made America great again, but better than ever.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »

Massive numbers of Democrats shift to R, but Perot Independents and Gen. Y go to the Democrats. Generation Z is 53%+ R-leaning.

I could see a VP Cory Booker/Sen. Brian Schatz 2024 ticket. As far as the Republicans go, one of Sandoval or Baker or Gardner is probably their nominee.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2016, 04:46:11 PM by Blue3 »

Massive numbers of Democrats shift to R, but Perot Independents and Gen. Y go to the Democrats. Generation Z is 53%+ R-leaning.

I could see a VP Cory Booker/Sen. Brian Schatz 2024 ticket. As far as the Republicans go, one of Sandoval or Baker or Gardner is probably their nominee.
Why would people who support Sanders switch to Republicans? Especially in this scenario where a majority approve of Sanders upon him leaving office in 2025.

Also, I'm not asking about candidates (and I have no idea where you got those candidates or numbers from either)... I'm asking about what happens to the Democratic Party? What becomes their policy platform? Which direction do they head in?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »

Why would people who support Sanders switch to Republicans? Especially in this scenario where a majority approve of Sanders upon him leaving office in 2025.

Also, I'm not asking about candidates (and I have no idea where you got those candidates or numbers from either)... I'm asking about what happens to the Democratic Party? What becomes their policy platform? Which direction do they head in?

Because they won't. That agenda is truly massive and to somehow get it all done would change things significantly in this country. Gen Y = Millennials, who are already heavily Democratic. That is not changing at this point, especially given the spectacle that is the GOP.

GenZ would stand to benefit the most from those policies as they would be young adults as those programs/services/benefits rain down on them. They would see the world as significantly better than their older friends/family and would attribute it to the current president, as most people have done throughout our history. GenZ, or at least the older GenZ citizens, would be locked in to the Democratic party as well with that kind of success - Even more so if the next president were a Republican bent on tearing it all down, which is 50/50 if the programs were not widely accepted by older folks in time for that election.

The model comparison here is to Western Europe, where liberal parties basically fulfilled all their dreams for society in the period just after WWII.  Since then, conservatives have won a majority of the time and liberal parties have almost entirely been playing defense of the status quo.

It does seem strange to me how a party could deliver such things, only to have the people turn against them later down the road. I'm sure in all instances there are some logical reasons and some illogical, but still strange.

For instance, take Social Security. Republicans constantly talk about cutting it, along with a slew of other social programs, yet their voters want these things and they still elect them. It's like the ultimate form of taking for granted extremely valuable services that people fought hard for.

So many deeply embrace these social services that were almost all delivered by Democrats, and then go rail/vote against Democrats in favor of people who say they want to slash funding for these very services. It really bothers me. Especially when you think that if Republicans did significantly cut social programs, older people/Republicans would go absolutely insane, as if it was a big nasty surprise and they have no idea why their representatives would do such a thing!
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:25:58 AM »

Wall Street is crippled as Bernie raises taxes to unsustainable levels.  The US suffers financial brain drain as top economists and experts in the finance industry leave the country to go to Japan or China.  The deficit balloons out of control as the economy fails to keep pace with his new outlays due to high taxes reducing consumer spending.  The new set of demands on businesses, dramatically reducing the ROI on employment, pushes our multinational businesses towards automation and widescale layoffs while bankrupting small businesses.  Interest payments on the public debt as a percentage of federal outlays move into the double digits.

Running out of ways to raise revenue as taxes are already very high, Bernie has to slash spending, starting with the military.  Our international footprint is scaled back and our research into new weapons falls behind that of other nations, allowing Russia and China to block us out of areas of the world where they have interests (Syria, Iran, North Korea) by supplying governments or stateless military groups with sophisticated defensive weaponry that the US can not combat, similar to the anti-aircraft missiles currently deployed in Iran thanks to Russia.  As the middle east descends further into chaos, Russia overtakes us as the region's policeman, while China is emboldened to enforce sovereignty over the South China Sea.  Terrorists groups ravage Africa and the gulf states and Saudi Arabia and Egypt turn to Russia for partnership.

Of course he might get impeached, or we might get someone in after eight years who undoes his policies.  But this is the most likely scenario.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:50:55 AM »

1. That's somewhat still remotely possible
2. If he's a nominee after all, it's definitively possible
3. It's not possible, certainly not "all"
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »

2x2 equals 77, the sun is green again, 1 pound of butter equals 7 kilos of ham, each child gets a baby elephant as a labor day gift. What else have I forgotten?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:33 AM »

America will have been radically transformed. Economic inequality will be much less severe, and few people will miss the old way of life. Political life will be transformed heavily to debates on how to manage the new social order instead of whether to undo it.   

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »

Blue avatars will be on suicide watch.
Gorilla Monsoon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »

While some on here may scoff, a Bernie presidency is looking more and more likely. Bernie's gaining on Hillary in the nationwide polls and it's gonna be mostly Dem states from here on in. Furthermore, Reuters among others suggest that he would beat Trump in a hypothetical general by a much larger margin than Hillary would and I think that's impacting on primary voters.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »

While some on here may scoff, a Bernie presidency is looking more and more likely. Bernie's gaining on Hillary in the nationwide polls and it's gonna be mostly Dem states from here on in. Furthermore, Reuters among others suggest that he would beat Trump in a hypothetical general by a much larger margin than Hillary would and I think that's impacting on primary voters.

If spring polls were anything to go by, Bush would have won 2000 by 15 points, Ronald Reagan would have lost, etc. It's true Bernie would do better if the election were held today, but largely because no one has been attacking Bernie from the GOP side. He's untested. Karl Rove has been running Super PAC ads in his favor.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »

I see you have no idea how the primary process works.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »

to probably butcher a  George Will quote: "The American people are conservative; they want to conserve the New Deal."

You'll see the same pattern play out wrt the Sanders Agenda that played out with the new deal. Large sections of it become sacred cows, with chipping away at the edges by reactionary folks. Esp if racial politics becomes involved.

That said, of course, this won't happen and wouldn't happen. Sanders agenda is a negotiating position, like all are. He's just starting from an ambitious place so that he gets a good deal.

JohnathanOHughes
JamesStanton
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »

They run on stopping the Republicans from reversing those ideas, and when they do, they will run on those issues that they reversed, they will also run on being against the Republicans ideals; Pro-Life, Right to Bear arms, Anti-Gay, etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies