Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:22:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump reverses position on torture, killing terrorists' families  (Read 1843 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 08:52:21 PM »

I do not believe that anything Trump says or does will influence his base, composed of racists, bigots, and red necks, to alter their support for Trump, in any way, shape, or form. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »

We're not saying it's a bad thing, this is a good thing if he is sincere about actually giving up an extreme-right position on an issue like this and moving into sensible territory. But on the other hand it makes him look like a flip-flopper much like Romney.

I don't really understand how being a "flip-flopper" is a bad thing.  I prefer my politicians to be responsive to the wishes of the general population and willing to admit when they are wrong.

This is not a case of a politician being "responsive to the wishes of the general public."
This is a case of trump being stupid and naïve to national and international law.
He finally realizes this and says "Oops, I'm an idiot. So I better change my policy stance on this issue quickly."
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »

We're not saying it's a bad thing, this is a good thing if he is sincere about actually giving up an extreme-right position on an issue like this and moving into sensible territory. But on the other hand it makes him look like a flip-flopper much like Romney.

I don't really understand how being a "flip-flopper" is a bad thing.  I prefer my politicians to be responsive to the wishes of the general population and willing to admit when they are wrong.

This is not a case of a politician being "responsive to the wishes of the general public."
This is a case of trump being stupid and naïve to national and international law.
He finally realizes this and says "Oops, I'm an idiot. So I better change my policy stance on this issue quickly."

Yes he did research and reversed his position.  I'm still not sure how this is supposed to be a bad thing.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2016, 12:11:59 AM by ProudModerate2 »

I don't really understand how being a "flip-flopper" is a bad thing.  I prefer my politicians to be responsive to the wishes of the general population and willing to admit when they are wrong.

Yes he did research and reversed his position.  I'm still not sure how this is supposed to be a bad thing.

LibertarianRepublican was in error to give you "ammo" that this topic (torture & killing terrorist's families) was subject to "easy" reversal/flip-flop by trump, after supposed "researching." That is hogwash. trump can reverse his policy, but it comes with massive penalty to his character and campaign.

You don't need to be a highly intelligent individual to know that you cant go around deliberately killing the family members of our enemies. And you cant order our military to "murder" others in this manner.
Trump either knew this before taking his position, to feed his ignorant followers more dog biscuits (and to gain their support),
or ..... He is just brainless and moronic to basic international law.
Your choice, but there are only these two options.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »

As it seems to be, TRUMP is longer in favor of waterboarding. Good move, Donald. That was one position, where I strongly disageed with you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/03/04/can-u-s-troops-ignore-unlawful-orders-joint-chiefs-asked-to-weigh-in-on-donald-trump/
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »

As it seems to be, TRUMP is longer in favor of waterboarding. Good move, Donald. That was one position, where I strongly disageed with you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/03/04/can-u-s-troops-ignore-unlawful-orders-joint-chiefs-asked-to-weigh-in-on-donald-trump/

Plus nothing TRUMP does is ever good for TRUMP haters. It's bad if he supports torture and it's bad if he disavows torture. Speaking about personality disorder of the anti-Trump crowd.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A good point. Trump is just saying he won't outright break the law, not that he won't find a way around it like he has done multiple times throughout his life.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »

Trump's supporters will move with him. It's a good move.

Trump gets attention. Gets the numbers. He needs to keep them.

But Cruz really needs to move in for the kill on these issues.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »

Yeah, it was bad when dudeabides supported it and it was bad when TRUMP did.  Good move by TRUMP.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »

Trump's supporters will move with him. It's a good move.

Yes.  It's going to be beautiful watching Trump shift and attack Hillary from the left, center, and every conceivable angle to exploit her weaknesses and consolidate his coalition.  It's one of the advantages of nominating a strong leader and dynamic strategist as your party's candidate instead of a weak puppet beholden to rigid ideologues like in years past. 

I dunno, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with his coalition consolidating come election day. His core supporters may not care about anything he does, but quite a lot more will. Trump has far too many negative attributes and has already salted the earth / burned bridges significantly for things to be so easy as to just "move to the center".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 06:28:44 AM »

A day after he said this, Trump came out with yet another revision to his position: He will follow the law, yes, but he thinks the law should be changed to allow for waterboarding "at a minimum":

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-vows-to-strengthen-laws-to-allow-torture-waterboarding-election-2016/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »

He did all that research in the span of less than 24 hours?

Or more likely he paid someone to do it for him.  Some adviser probably sent him a memo telling him why his views were in violation of international law, what the consequences would be, how the general electorate was receiving his position and he decided to respond accordingly.  Frankly, I for one am glad that my candidate doesn't support torture.

The stupid thing about it was why only fo research now? 

If feel as though they just allow trump free reign to say whatever, granted its his bread and butter.  Its going to cost him the nomination IMO. 

You are a billionaire. . Hire some hacks this is the time of the campaign when you start actually getting more serious on policy.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »

I don't know what would make the world love America, but it's not Trump.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies