U.S. residents: Will you move outside of the U.S. if TRUMP is elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  U.S. residents: Will you move outside of the U.S. if TRUMP is elected?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: answer
Yes, to Canada
Yes, elsewhere
No
No, and I will even vote for TRUMP in the GENERAL
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: U.S. residents: Will you move outside of the U.S. if TRUMP is elected?  (Read 3573 times)
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 03:48:25 PM »

Yes, I will be moving to Mexico because I'm an illegal immigrant. In the future, I will stand in line at Trump's new wall to get back in to the United States, because I can't earn any real money in Mexico.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »

Maybe I should write a letter to PM Trudeau suggesting a "Trump refugee" bill.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »

Not unless his policies make it impossible for me to stay (which unfortunately is a distinct possibility).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »

It's not like there's anywhere to run to.

Most Americans don't have the option of moving to another country unless they're willing to take an enormous hit in income and living standards.

Assuming you want to stay in the developed world (Western Europe, Japan), you either need to prove some kind of blood quantum (a lot of Americans either have no ancestry in any of these countries or it's so many generations back that it no longer qualifies), marry a citizen, or have some kind of job skill that will merit getting a worker visa.

Americans on the low end of the labor market (retail, services, blue collar work) aren't getting in anywhere in Europe because they already have enough of those workers from Eastern Europe. Americans further up the ladder would be competing with native citizens. The only people who would be worth the bother are very skilled, experienced businesspeople or technical professions who can secure employment with a multinational corporation.

Then there's our lack of language skills.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 09:12:35 PM »

Well-educated Northerners could always move to Latin America. There is always demand for highly educated people in the rest of the continent, and native English is a plus. Push comes to shove, one can always go teach English in an elite private school: not as much money as a teacher gets back North, but enough to leave reasonably. Quality of life for a well-educated Unitedstater down here is comparable to that in the US, or even better (many things, especially labor, are cheap). We hire on the US market every year.

Of course, Trump´s policies would, probably, hit our countries badly, and, most likely, would make English-language abilities distinctly less of an asset. But, assuming Trump is perceived as merely a temporary abomination, perhaps the niches will still be there.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »

Possibly. New Zealand sounds nice.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »

I might seriously consider it, not because I'm that terrified of trump himself, but because of what it says about our country if we elect someone like him. A lot would depend on where I could get a job, but I do have qualifications, and I speak another language in addition to English, so I could make it work.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »

I might seriously consider it, not because I'm that terrified of trump himself, but because of what it says about our country if we elect someone like him. A lot would depend on where I could get a job, but I do have qualifications, and I speak another language in addition to English, so I could make it work.

This would be closer to my thinking, if I were to do so. I fear Trump represents a sort of political Pandora's Box. If one obviously unqualified, anti-intellectual reality TV star can win the presidency, then in my view there is every reason to believe that celebrity candidates like that are going to increasingly become the norm. What next? President Kanye West? President Willie Robertson? And that doesn't even begin to get into the problems of the policies Trump would enact or the likely rise of ever-more nationalist candidates in the future.

That being said, I don't see myself leaving the country if Trump wins. It's a tempting idea, but I don't see it as a realistic option.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 11:03:06 PM »

No, I want to stay to stop his authoritarian agenda.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 11:16:10 PM by traininthedistance »

No, it is one's patriotic duty to make Trump's tenure in office as unpleasant as possible. I dare him to come to Hudson!

Yeah, this train's not going to be making any stops at completely rundown towns living in the shadow of large economic engines, but good try.

Oh, honey, you are so out of date. I might add that the number of building permits pulled quadrupled in the last year. One rundown house or duplex after another is being bought and fixed up, and now some new homes are being built as well, sometimes tearing down the old structures. We had 8 going variance applications for building projects come before the zoning board the day before yesterday, one for refurbishing near the train station an old industrial structure into a luxury 55 room hotel (which I am opposing due to parking issues, and hope to kill off in its crib, but I digress). Hudson is on the move! I like to think I helped accelerate it, but that would be a big stretch (other than on my block, where others got confidence after seeing what I did). But I'm part of it. Smiley

You are doing the devil's work.  I thought you believed in revitalizing and redeveloping your town?  I thought you cared about free enterprise?  To oppose this sort of positive adaptive reuse–especially in a location near the train– due to "parking issues" is unconscionable, and reveals you not as a good-hearted civic booster who cares about Hudson's future, but merely as the all-too-common sort of peevish, crank Boomer busybody that make it their business to nose into other peoples' business, and especially to keep our nation's urban fabric chained to the past.  Shame on you.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 11:24:04 PM »

Like countless millions of Americans (and unlike most of angsty upper-middle class Atlas), I don't possess the means to completely uproot and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to make a political statement. However, it legitimately terrifies me what will become of this country if the man is elected. If I had the means to leave if/when something like that happened, I would. Many of us may have to leave at some point as refugees, if anything.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »

Like countless millions of Americans (and unlike most of angsty upper-middle class Atlas), I don't possess the means to completely uproot and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to make a political statement.

I doubt much of Atlas does either; it's just hyperbole.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies