SCOTUS Justices 2017-2021 under Clinton or Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:23:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  SCOTUS Justices 2017-2021 under Clinton or Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS Justices 2017-2021 under Clinton or Trump  (Read 710 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »

Who do you think will retire or die/join the Supreme Court?

My predictions:
Clinton:
2017: GARLAND
2017: Stephen Breyer; replaced by: Lloyd Doggett
2018(DEATH): Ginsburg; replaced by: Benjamin Chandler
2019: Anthony Kennedy; replaced by: James Letten

Trump:
2017: Scalia, Ken Cuccinelli
2018: John Roberts, Risa Vetri Ferman
2018(DEATH): Ginsburg; replaced by Booth Goodwin
2019: Anthony Kennedy; replaced by Brian Sandoval
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »

I'd expect Breyer and Ginsburg to both retire during Clinton's first term, especially if Democrats win control of the Senate in 2016. I think Clinton would name Garland (if necessary), a woman (Millett, Kelly, or Nguyen, replacing Ginsburg), and Srinivasan (replacing Breyer) to the court. I expect Ketanji Brown Jackson to be "promoted" to the appellate courts and then possibly be a Supreme Court candidate in Clinton's second term.

No idea what would happen if Trump wins.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 07:19:24 PM »

I really can't see the court being packed with elected politicians. Probably judges from lower courts, and/or former district attorneys. And it's extremely likely that both sides will want to shift the court as close to them as possible.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »

I really can't see the court being packed with elected politicians. Probably judges from lower courts, and/or former district attorneys. And it's extremely likely that both sides will want to shift the court as close to them as possible.
You do realize that would be a return to normalcy, in many ways?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »

Booth Goodwin was never an elected politician. Besides that, each list of mine only has one current elected official.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »

Booth Goodwin was never an elected politician. Besides that, each list of mine only has one current elected official.
I'm sorry. I got Booth mixed up with Carte. And Carte was never even elected to anything (to my knowledge). For some reason I had it in my mind that Carte Goodwin was elected to some minor statewide office before his appointment, but he was just a staffer, I think. And yeah, it used to be that SCOTUS judges were formerly in elected positions (Earl Warren is one example), though not so much lately. (It could change). I can see some like Sandoval (and former AG's) being appointed. John Bel Edwards, Lloyd Doggett, those I can't see being appointed, but it all depends on the circumstances (like who they replace, Senate control, etc.). Bel Edwards is too liberal, I think for a Republican appointment (but you never know a with Trump). Anyway, I see future appointments being mostly judges from lower courts (including state courts) and state AG's. I'll post my predictions later. I need to do a little more research and thinking.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 12:06:49 AM »

WI: Clinton/trup end up like Jimmy Carter and screwed out of the opportunity because Ginsburg lives to 2021

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies