OH-Quinnipiac: D: Clinton 55% Sanders 40%; R: Trump 31% Kasich 26% Cruz 21%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:34:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  OH-Quinnipiac: D: Clinton 55% Sanders 40%; R: Trump 31% Kasich 26% Cruz 21%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OH-Quinnipiac: D: Clinton 55% Sanders 40%; R: Trump 31% Kasich 26% Cruz 21%  (Read 2929 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:01:43 AM »
« edited: February 23, 2016, 06:10:39 AM by Mr. Morden »

Quinnipiac poll of Ohio, conducted Feb. 16-20:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/ohio/release-detail?ReleaseID=2325

Dems

Clinton 55%
Sanders 40%

GOP

Trump 31%
Kasich 26%
Cruz 21%
Rubio 13%
Carson 5%

[Poll mostly taken pre-Bush dropout, and they reallocated Bush voters to their second choices.]
Lord of the Dome
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:04:17 AM »

Wherefore art thou Rubio

13%? Yeesh
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:52 AM »

Racial gap on the Dem. side:

whites:
Clinton 50%
Sanders 45%

blacks:
Clinton 71%
Sanders 26%

On the GOP side, who leads among…?
Tea Party: Trump
White born-again Evangelical: Cruz
very conservative: Cruz
somewhat conservative: Trump
moderate: Trump
college degree: Kasich
no college degree: Trump
age 18-44: Cruz
age 45-64: Trump
age 65+: Kasich

Are there any candidates you would definitely *not* support?

Trump 32%
Cruz 22%
Rubio 12%
Carson 11%
Kasich 11%

fav/unfav % among their own party:

Sanders 77/11% for +66%
Clinton 77/17% for +60%

Kasich 77/14% for +63%
Rubio 62/17% for +45%
Cruz 60/27% for +33%
Trump 57/36% for +21%
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:26 AM »

13% in the land of Kasich, Portman, Voinovich, DeWine etc...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:39:35 AM »

March 15th is not looking good for Bernie. At all.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:55:12 AM »

March 15th is not looking good for Bernie. At all.

And this is QU too...

But seriously, that AA number is being repeated everywhere and its KILLING Sanders.
mds32
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 07:08:11 AM »

That is reasonable considering it is Ohio and the guy that could cost him the race is the Governor of the state.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »

Interesting that Kasich is trailing Trump, although it is close at 5 points. But if you look at the last Oh QU poll, in October, Trump was leading Kasich with 10 points. Since then Trump has grown by only 8 points and Kasich has increased by 13 points! It would be interesting to compare this with Trump-Rubio, in a new FL poll (the last one from January had Trump at 41% and Rubio at 18% - Bush had only 4%).
psychprofessor

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »

this really makes Michigan look out of reach, too, for Sanders. Where does he win on 3/15? That could be a fatal blow to the campaign.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

Never mind that, Kasich is losing his home state, where he's supposed to be popular.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2016, 10:21:15 AM by Ronnie »

It would be interesting to compare this with Trump-Rubio, in a new FL poll (the last one from January had Trump at 41% and Rubio at 18% - Bush had only 4%).

If Trump is beating an immensely popular two-term governor, he's probably smoking a first-term senator who doesn't even show up to work.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »

this really makes Michigan look out of reach, too, for Sanders. Where does he win on 3/15? That could be a fatal blow to the campaign.

As I've said before, Sanders's path to the nomination goes through Missouri.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »

Missouri? Guy has no chance then.
psychprofessor

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

Missouri? Guy has no chance then.

Well then on 3/15 the race will be over. In 2008 the white / non white breakdown was 75/25. He would essentially need to win whites by 60/40 or more to make up the disadvantage he has with non-whites in Missouri.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »

Michigan numbers look great, and Ohio numbers look great for Trump.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »

And thus Kasich needs to stay in the race through Ohio. And I suspect that is why he is staying in. He is doing it for the Pub establishment team. Bless him. Smiley
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »

Imagine if Trump won every single one of his opponents' home states.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »

Imagine if Trump won every single one of his opponents' home states.

Based on polling alone, he is losing in TX to Cruz and, I may be wrong, but I do not think that a mere 5% advantage will be enough to overcome Kasich's strong ground game in OH.  FL is the only "home" state he seems to be running ahead of his opponent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »

And thus Kasich needs to stay in the race through Ohio. And I suspect that is why he is staying in. He is doing it for the Pub establishment team. Bless him. Smiley

I question that logic, Torie. As much as i back Kasich, if the goal is to stop Trump then which would the Donald be more concerned about facing here: Kasich who is already behind and will have difficulty maintaining even that level of support after what will likely be a lackluster showing Tuesday (maybe distant 2nd in a couple states at best) plus will have Rubio siphoning the establishment anti-Trump vote; or Rubio if Kasich dropped out and gave his complete public and organizational support to Rubio (in exchange for the Veep slot or at least a cushy cabinet post)?

If the establishment isn't careful , Kasich could wind up giving Trump Ohio rather than saving it from him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 06:04:18 PM by Maxwell »

I question that logic, Torie. As much as i back Kasich, if the goal is to stop Trump then which would the Donald be more concerned about facing here: Kasich who is already behind and will have difficulty maintaining even that level of support after what will likely be a lackluster showing Tuesday (maybe distant 2nd in a couple states at best) plus will have Rubio siphoning the establishment anti-Trump vote; or Rubio if Kasich dropped out and gave his complete public and organizational support to Rubio (in exchange for the Veep slot or at least a cushy cabinet post)?

If the establishment isn't careful , Kasich could wind up giving Trump Ohio rather than saving it from him.

More and more we are seeing this is not a real thing. If Kasich drops out a lot of his voters either won't vote, or even go to Trump. At least enough to block Rubio.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »

More and more we are seeing this is not a real thing. If Kasich drops out a lot of his voters either won't vote, or even go to Trump. At least enough to block Rubio.

Where do you get that impression, especially among his supporters in Ohio ?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 08:16:24 PM »

I get that impression from the polls. Most polls show Kasich supporters going to Rubio, sure, but only by margins like 57/26, not the kind of margins Rubio needs.

But let's assume this much - 70% goes to Rubio, 15% to Trump, 10% to Cruz, and 5% Just don't vote. And I'm generous to Rubio and Kasich - I assume 50% of undecideds would go to Kasich, and then if Kasich drops out, whatever margin of rounding for the 5% that don't vote go with Rubio. Rubio still trails Trump 36-34. That is a generous estimate. If it's 60% Rubio, 23% Trump, 12% Cruz, and  5% don't vote, it gets a lot worse - 38%-31%. And again, I'm giving the advantages to Rubio - he gets the rounding error.

The math is just not going to work.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »

I get that impression from the polls. Most polls show Kasich supporters going to Rubio, sure, but only by margins like 57/26, not the kind of margins Rubio needs.

But let's assume this much - 70% goes to Rubio, 15% to Trump, 10% to Cruz, and 5% Just don't vote. And I'm generous to Rubio and Kasich - I assume 50% of undecideds would go to Kasich, and then if Kasich drops out, whatever margin of rounding for the 5% that don't vote go with Rubio. Rubio still trails Trump 36-34. That is a generous estimate. If it's 60% Rubio, 23% Trump, 12% Cruz, and  5% don't vote, it gets a lot worse - 38%-31%. And again, I'm giving the advantages to Rubio - he gets the rounding error.

i see your point, and certainly did 't mean Rubio would be anything close to a lock, or even necessarily competative here if Kasich drops out. the question is whether trump has more of a threat from Kasich with Rubio on the ballot as opposed to Rubio alon e with Kasich's support?
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »

Even with Kasich out, Rubio couldn't win OH. However it won't matter after March 15th as Rubio will be out and this will be a Trump-Kasich race!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

i see your point, and certainly did 't mean Rubio would be anything close to a lock, or even necessarily competative here if Kasich drops out. the question is whether trump has more of a threat from Kasich with Rubio on the ballot as opposed to Rubio alon e with Kasich's support?

Well, are you assuming the Kasich numbers in the poll will erode? If he can hang on to what he has, and the bulk of the 13% of Rubio voters have any sense at all, they would shift their votes to Kasich to get him past Trump. If need be, Rubio would publicly suggest that to his voters in Ohio, given it is winner take all, and out of his respect for Kasich in his home state, or whatever. They play nice with each other anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies