WV: MetroNews shows Trump leading with 40, Sanders leading with 57
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:10:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  WV: MetroNews shows Trump leading with 40, Sanders leading with 57
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WV: MetroNews shows Trump leading with 40, Sanders leading with 57  (Read 7237 times)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »

Hard to believe someone as liberal as Sanders could be winning by that much here. Maybe the conservadems who voted Hillary/McCain in '08 actually left the party...
The remaining conservadems are voting Sanders.
In the PPP poll of Oklahoma, Sanders wins "very conservative" democrats by a 54 point margin.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 12:00:47 AM »

If Sanders is doing this well in WV, shouldn't he be polling a bit better TN? Maybe not winning there, but at least keeping it in single digits?

Several reasons:
1. There are a lot of black people in Middle and West Tennessee, and they probably make up nearly half of the Dem primary voters there.
2. Democratic support among rural whites across the state has collapsed more thoroughly than in West Virginia. Plus, East Tennessee, the whitest part of the state, is ancestrally Republican going all the way back to the Civil War anyway.
3. Tennessee has no registration by party, so the many rural whites who've switched allegiances aren't locked into voting in the Democratic primary, and have no incentive to do so, since the presidential primary is largely the only real race on March 1, even though a few counties may have contested primaries for local offices (Again, those county primaries are more likely to be on the GOP side anyway).

As you see, these factors combine to make Tennessee's Dem primary demographics significantly less white than West Virginia's. I'd still look for Bernie to pull off wins among the few people who pull Democratic ballots in rural East Tennessee, however.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 12:10:34 AM »

To think....Obama almost lost this state in 2012 TO A FELON IN PRISON.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 12:23:14 AM »

The inmate felon might be the comeback kid in 2016!

#Juddmentum
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 12:52:23 AM »

The inmate felon might be the comeback kid in 2016!

#Juddmentum

#HillaryForPrison2016
it's her only chance to win WV
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 02:56:13 AM »

While it was a remarkable performance by the inmate, Obama didn't "almost lose". He still won by almost 20%.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »

You'd think this is the state where Trump would be at 50%
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

Why are people shocked?

Sanders is doing well in Okla due to the conservative vote too. He got 25% cross-over votes in Vermont from Republicans
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 10:55:27 PM »

While it was a remarkable performance by the inmate, Obama didn't "almost lose". He still won by almost 20%.

I have to say, West Virginians might think it makes them look "rebellious" or "edgy" to vote for a convicted felon over the president, but in reality it just makes them look like idiot racists. So congrats to them on that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 02:54:45 AM »

Wow, thank you voters, and more importantly, thank you Abraham Lincoln for the creation of this absolutely beautiful, beautiful state - what a legacy! If Trump made East Virginia, it wouldn't even be this beautiful.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »

West Virgina, lmao. Do they know that Bernie's a Jew yet?
Is the felon that almost beat Obama running again? He could make some serious inroads against Hillary! and Sanders (the Jew).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »

Is the felon that almost beat Obama running again? He could make some serious inroads against Hillary! and Sanders (the Jew).
yep
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 05:25:57 PM »

Forget the D primary (which is over at this point), the interesting thing is how Trump is doing relatively poorly here compared to current expectations that it would be his best or 2nd best state in the country.  Maybe I was on to something when I said that he could be drifting too socially liberal for some WV voters' tastes? 

The poll is from February, and it was junk even then.  Trump will win here in a rout.

I'm less certain what will happen in the Democratic primary, but I just saw this hilarious anecdote about Bill Clinton getting booed in Logan, which until a decade ago was a Democratic stronghold (they were the only county in the state to vote for McGovern in 1972).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2016, 06:22:45 PM by Landslide Lyndon »

Forget the D primary (which is over at this point), the interesting thing is how Trump is doing relatively poorly here compared to current expectations that it would be his best or 2nd best state in the country.  Maybe I was on to something when I said that he could be drifting too socially liberal for some WV voters' tastes?  

The poll is from February, and it was junk even then.  Trump will win here in a rout.

I'm less certain what will happen in the Democratic primary, but I just saw this hilarious anecdote about Bill Clinton getting booed in Logan, which until a decade ago was a Democratic stronghold (they were the only county in the state to vote for McGovern in 1972).

The only thing hilarious here is how Berniebots and TRUMP thugs joined forces.
More proof that these two have much more in common than many people are willing to recognize.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »

Forget the D primary (which is over at this point), the interesting thing is how Trump is doing relatively poorly here compared to current expectations that it would be his best or 2nd best state in the country.  Maybe I was on to something when I said that he could be drifting too socially liberal for some WV voters' tastes? 

The R primary isn't any less over. At least Sanders actually won a state last week.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »

If Sanders is doing this well in WV, shouldn't he be polling a bit better TN? Maybe not winning there, but at least keeping it in single digits?

WV and TN aren't really all that comparable despite both being Appalachian.

True. Tennessee has some medium-sized cities (Memphis and Nashville), and far more blacks.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 12:16:17 AM »

Forget the D primary (which is over at this point), the interesting thing is how Trump is doing relatively poorly here compared to current expectations that it would be his best or 2nd best state in the country.  Maybe I was on to something when I said that he could be drifting too socially liberal for some WV voters' tastes?  

The poll is from February, and it was junk even then.  Trump will win here in a rout.

The only thing hilarious here is how Berniebots and TRUMP thugs joined forces.
More proof that these two have much more in common than many people are willing to recognize.

If sanders wasnt a gun grabber maybe.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 12:46:02 AM »

WV and TN aren't really all that comparable despite both being Appalachian.

True. Tennessee has some medium-sized cities (Memphis and Nashville), and far more blacks.

Indeed. WV has slightly more blacks than Vermont. Tongue
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »

West Virginians preferred a white woman from a black man.
And now prefer a white man from a white woman.
What a lovely and tolerant state.

Very interesting indeed. I think Clinton is hugging Obama a little too tight that it's turning off the poor sensitive West Virginians.

^^^Ladies and gentlemen, this perfectly sums up why Democrats get clobbered in WV.

I didn't know that so many West Virginians go on Atlas Forum, look at these posts, then decide to vote Republican.

You know exactly what I mean.

They're drinking their Starbucks lattes too hot.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies