Larry Hogan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:57:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Larry Hogan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Larry Hogan  (Read 1655 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »

http://redmillennial.com/2015/10/26/6-reasons-why-maryland-gov-larry-hogan-should-eventually-run-for-president/

Came across this while idly browsing the internet. Would Hogan make a good candidate for POTUS in 2020? Why or why not? Discuss.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:53:15 PM »

absolutely, i see him as a potential 2020 contender
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »

Yes if he's still in office, but I'm actually pretty sure he's going to lose reelection.

There is the issue of his case of Stage 3 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. That could come back, and I know I wouldn't vote for any person (Democrat or Republican) who just went into remission only years prior. Seems like an unnecessary risk to take, as it's doubtful he could adequately perform his presidential duties while undergoing more cancer treatment.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »

Yes if he's still in office, but I'm actually pretty sure he's going to lose reelection.

There is the issue of his case of Stage 3 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. That could come back, and I know I wouldn't vote for any person (Democrat or Republican) who just went into remission only years prior. Seems like an unnecessary risk to take, as it's doubtful he could adequately perform his presidential duties while undergoing more cancer treatment.

https://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/nonhodgkins-lymphoma

It says relapses usually occur within two years. So, we'll see if Hogan 2020 is a thing on November 16, 2017.

As for him winning re-election, it's hard to tell. I think his approvals are in large part because of the cancer, so there's really no way of knowing if people are actually going to vote for him in 2018. Before his diagnosis, he had a 39-17 approval rating, but 43% didn't offer an opinion. So, we'll have to wait until the cancer thing goes away to find out what Marylanders really think of the guy, and what his odds are.

I hate all this waiting Tongue
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »

Maybe. I don't know if his illness would affect him in 2020 or 2024.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »

I'm not really sure what his accomplishments are. I really think cancer is why he's so popular.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »

It says relapses usually occur within two years. So, we'll see if Hogan 2020 is a thing on November 16, 2017.

As for him winning re-election, it's hard to tell. I think his approvals are in large part because of the cancer, so there's really no way of knowing if people are actually going to vote for him in 2018. Before his diagnosis, he had a 39-17 approval rating, but 43% didn't offer an opinion. So, we'll have to wait until the cancer thing goes away to find out what Marylanders really think of the guy, and what his odds are.

Probably. He still has 3 years of actual governing left. A lot can and will happen during that time, so you could probably consider those polls his honeymoon numbers.

I can't stand anymore waiting myself. I started following politics in general real hard 8 months ago, and we're just now about to actually start voting. It's going to be a long 9+ months, and then a long 2 years after that, and then... Sad
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:38:32 PM »

Probably. He still has 3 years of actual governing left. A lot can and will happen during that time, so you could probably consider those polls his honeymoon numbers.

I can't stand anymore waiting myself. I started following politics in general real hard 8 months ago, and we're just now about to actually start voting. It's going to be a long 9+ months, and then a long 2 years after that, and then... Sad

I'd like to think that they'll stick because he's governing effectively, but that's probably my conservative leanings doing the talking.

The waiting is frustrating! However, it'll be worth the wait on Monday, at least for you, if the Trumpster wins Iowa.
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »

I think Hogan has a decent shot at reelection.  A very bad national environment did Bob Ehrlich in in 2006.  I think that the way things look now, Hogan will become like Bill Weld in 1994.  All the potential top tier challengers (Ruppersberger, Franchot, Gansler, Leggett) will look at Hogan's high approval ratings and decide it just isn't worth the risk in running against him.  Then Hogan will end up with a second or third rate challenger. 
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:20:32 AM »

If he's ambitious, he could also pull a Jimmy Carter/ Mitt Romney and not run for a second term.

But there is certainly precedent for a reelection in a state like Maryland (although not actually in Maryland.)
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »

Great guy, had the pleasure of meeting him last week, but I'm not so sure about a POTUS run, especially if he has another recurrence of his cancer.
mufc1878
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 05:54:49 AM »

No - Hogan & Charlie Baker are not strong enough on life to win R nominee nationwide.

Trump is a one-off.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:03 AM »

Hogan's popularity is real and it's not just cancer sympathy. No, he would not win 67% in 2018, but people genuinely like him and like the job he's doing
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies