The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:22:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED  (Read 22782 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »

[X] Fixed

Why not have each region choose an associate justice who also doubles up as their head judge, and the president and the senate and president choose the chief justice and 1 associate justice.  Not only would you give more influence to regional legislatures and governors, you'd have a 5 seat supreme court leading to more interesting decisions, more possibility of dissents, and you'd have one less judge overall, so still a reduction in offices.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Well the thing is the Supreme Court pretty much has veto power over everything. In terms of power it can nuke both federal and regional governments whenever it wants. At the moment, speaking in terms of balance of powers (which I would rather not, because I'm not convinced that's an atlasia problem, I think it's a real life problem which is read into atlasia) the federal government controls this most powerful of offices and could nuke the region if it wanted. My proposal would lend some balance to proceedings.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »

I haven't officially proposed anything, for the record.

Regarding Truman's proposal, it depends on how it works because there are multiple options. How about the Governor proposing with the regional legislature confirming, but granting both the senate and the President the right to veto? Or vice versa.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:41:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm happy with Kingpoleon's proposal. Although maybe I'd just leave the chief justice to the president without a regional veto.

Anyway I think to some extent gridlock can be seen as a feature and not a bug. Elections happen often enough that they won't last for that long and a gridlock would also give a campaign issue for a multitude of elections.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:46 PM »

[3] Plan "A"
[1] Plan "B"
[2] Plan "C"
[4] Status Quo
[   ] Abstain
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom