49-state sweep. Holdout? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:39:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  49-state sweep. Holdout? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Between now and 2040 someone wins in a 49-state landslide. Which state is the lone holdout?
California

New York

Utah

Vermont

West Virginia

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: 49-state sweep. Holdout?  (Read 4763 times)
Nichlemn

« on: March 16, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »

It could conceivably be quite a few states, as there are many different ways a landslide could occur, with quite different coalitions.

I could see Hawaii being the Democratic holdout because its distinctiveness could insulate it from a national wave, but I could also see it voting comfortably for a Republican incumbent (as it did in 1972 and 1984).

I could see Utah being the Republican holdout because of its consistent status as the most Republican state. But it did go comfortably for LBJ in the last big Democratic landslide (albeit over 50 years ago). A nasty, relatively irreligious candidate (like... Trump) could lose Utah before he lost some other states.

Maryland and Alabama are plausible holdouts for their respective parties in polarised elections where the winning party just runs up the score a lot with their traditional voters without really managing to break through in the other party's bases. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies