In 1992, WHy did Perot do so well in ME? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:53:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  In 1992, WHy did Perot do so well in ME? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In 1992, WHy did Perot do so well in ME?  (Read 3825 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 30, 2005, 03:49:44 AM »

IIn 1992, Perot appealed largely to the libertarian wings of both parties.  It is no coincidence that 1992 was the second worst election the Libertarians have had since they became a national party.  The reason why Perot ultimately ended up having more success with potential GOP voters than potential Democratic voters can be laid squarely on the shoulder's of Pat Buchanan, which is ironic since he would later hijack the rudderless Reform party for his own third party run.  He alienated the GOP libertarian wing to an extent that even with Perot's electoral oddities Bush was unable to win them back as Clinton did with the Democratic libertarians after Perot's exit from the race.

By the time of Perot's second run, Perot's nativist message was what resonated most strongly with disaffected voters.  Perot's concentration on that segement of the electorate, while understandable, also set the stage for Buchanan to use the Reform party to run with in 2000.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies