In 1992, WHy did Perot do so well in ME? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:20:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  In 1992, WHy did Perot do so well in ME? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In 1992, WHy did Perot do so well in ME?  (Read 3809 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 29, 2005, 09:51:03 PM »

As J. J. said, it was a mix of economics (Perot did not fit Maine's economic views all that badly indeed), and Maine's traditional since of individualism, which strongly appealed to many would-be Bush voters in Maine.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:37:56 AM »

Where are those disaffected republican libertarians now? Did they hold their nose and vote for Bush both times, most recently because of the war/leadership issue? Are they sitting out?

They are generally fairly hawkish on foreign policy, and thus had few qualms voting Bush this tme around, although I'm sure it wasn't their first choice.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 08:56:41 PM »

Where are those disaffected republican libertarians now? Did they hold their nose and vote for Bush both times, most recently because of the war/leadership issue? Are they sitting out?

They are generally fairly hawkish on foreign policy, and thus had few qualms voting Bush this tme around, although I'm sure it wasn't their first choice.

Interesting. Wouldn't libertarians be less hawkish? Or maybe its a basic form of patriotism that caused them to rally around the leader.

Well, they generally are economically libertarian and socially centrist with a bit of a libertarian lean.  They tend to be less hawkish than the average GOPer, but moreso than the average American.  They also tend to have little qualms with stuff like gay marriage bans, but would rather not have the government deal with things like marijuana.  Montana and Alaska are full of them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies