Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:53:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 118653 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: November 12, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »

FWIW, I apologize to Scott, a longtime friend who I consider one of my closest here. The sentiment for those who choose to leave solely over the Trumpocolypse, frankly, remains in place. The right-wing's reaction to Obama was bad, but the general mood among some of my more leftist friends IRL is unacceptable and greatly disheartening if we want to have a tradition of democratic government.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1551 on: November 12, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »

Thank you, Sanchez.

I never endorse leaving a country solely for political reasons, for the record, unless it's under extreme circumstances.  Politicians come and go and the pendulum swings wherever the wind takes it.  Americans are far less likely to die from the policies of the government here than people living in other countries, anyhow.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1552 on: November 13, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »

I can't sleep so I took the Political Matrix again. I've gone from I think E -8.16 S -2.70 to E -7.74 S -1.39. The slight shift in the E score is probably due to increased uncertainty in my views on trade policy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1553 on: November 13, 2016, 08:21:11 AM »

My grandma's friend, who was also our neighbour, died today at hospital. She had an incurable cancer. Fortunately, it was apparently a quick death in sleep.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1554 on: November 13, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »

I can't sleep so I took the Political Matrix again. I've gone from I think E -8.16 S -2.70 to E -7.74 S -1.39. The slight shift in the E score is probably due to increased uncertainty in my views on trade policy.

The PM test is so incredibly outdated and boring now.  I wish they'd update it like they said they would a couple years ago.

My grandma's friend, who was also our neighbour, died today at hospital. She had an incurable cancer. Fortunately, it was apparently a quick death in sleep.

I'm sorry, Kal. Sad
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1555 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »

So....there is this kid in my town driving up and down for the last week with TRUMP stickers all over his truck and a Confederate flag, going around and attacking black people with a wrench and harassing people...

Welcome to TRUMP's Amerikkka!

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1556 on: November 15, 2016, 11:55:52 PM »

So....there is this kid in my town driving up and down for the last week with TRUMP stickers all over his truck and a Confederate flag, going around and attacking black people with a wrench and harassing people...

Welcome to TRUMP's Amerikkka!

Oh God those guys literally look like the worst kind of young white male Trump supporters. The kind who wear sleeveless "Make America Great Again" shirts, try and rush for a frat but get rejected because they have a complete lack of discipline and only want to party, and down a Natty Ice before class. We have as many of them at TCC as we do (very, very vocally upset) BLM supporters on campus and I genuinely think there can be a problem.

This is the only instance of post-election tension I've really witnessed outside of Facebook and my earlier experience with the Indian kid.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1557 on: November 16, 2016, 01:25:09 PM »

Today, while driving down Appleyard towards TCC, a woman in the car behind me began honking at me repeatedly and followed me for a solid five minutes flipping me off with both hands. I deduced that it can only be about the Trump/Pence sticker since I literally retraced my steps and couldn't think of anything I've done while driving to piss her off. She was also yelling but her window was up and I couldn't hear what she was saying.

When I pulled into TCC and she was still behind me, I knew I had a problem. When she followed me down the same parking lot lane, I really began to get nervous. As I mentioned, I had a drunk kid banging on my window but to me that was almost humorous. This was a bit more nerve wracking because I can't fight back or resist an angry black woman the same way I could a man for obvious reasons (and I've only won about 25% of the fights I've fought as it is anyway!) and I contemplated calling 9/11.

When she was still behind me after ten trips up and down the parking lot unable to find a parking space, I knew I was in actual trouble. So when she lifted both her hands to flip me off again (using her knee to keep beeping on the horn) I saw an opportunity and slammed on the breaks as hard as I could. That got her off my tail.

Floridians really are as crazy as Atlas describes us. I'm not defending this place anymore based on what I and LibertarianRepublican experienced in the last week.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1558 on: November 17, 2016, 05:42:50 PM »

I have never actually laughed out loud before by reading something on the internet. Then this happened:
I'm confused which side is the good side. I'm not sure how to reply.[/quote
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1559 on: November 20, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »

Well, I feel I can put on the red avatar again, now that many of the other D-NYs have gone after the election.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1560 on: November 20, 2016, 04:31:03 PM »

Making myself ramen for the first time in at least a year, maybe two.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1561 on: November 20, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »

I think my caffeine dependency is ruining my ability to work.

Caffeine helps me a lot with concentrating. I'm brain half-dead without coffee.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1562 on: November 20, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »

I just found out I have to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday, this is going to be fun.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1563 on: November 20, 2016, 05:49:15 PM »

I think my caffeine dependency is ruining my ability to work.

Caffeine helps me a lot with concentrating. I'm brain half-dead without coffee.

That's my point.

I figured Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1564 on: November 20, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »

So I haven't been on speaking terms with most of my family in the last ten days aside from an emergency return call to my Grandma (who called me crying thinking she was partially to blame for the situation, which I had to resolve since she is the one person who has never failed me) and apparently I never informed my parents that I'll be coming home for a week tomorrow. I'm assuming they are expecting me.

Anyway, they aired some very old and very tired allegations about my health that resulted in the ongoing break. If I don't get an apology the moment I walk through the door tomorrow, I'm going to start bringing up their dirty laundry at the Thanksgiving table. There's a lot of puss under some of my scabs and my mother knows that. Which is why she's so effective at bringing them up at moments of extreme tension to draw an overreaction from me and make me the bad guy.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #1565 on: November 21, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »

And yes, by 10:30 pm I was somewhat drunk at the Red Dot bar with the gang all there. Great day! Smiley

The Red Dot is the best restaurant in Hudson!

(How do I know? I've been there!)
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #1566 on: November 21, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »

Also, scheduled my second-semester classes!

American Gov & Politics
French
Intro to Psych
Lit and Comp
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1567 on: November 22, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »

I made the drive from Tallahassee to South Florida in a five and a half hours (usually it takes seven) yet the trip was more grueling than any of the previous ones for some reason.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1568 on: November 23, 2016, 03:35:23 AM »

Got followed, and got a PM from John Weaver (former McCain/Huntsman/Kasich strategist) The strangest thing is I feel this counts as some sort of celebrity meetings!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1569 on: November 23, 2016, 04:09:27 AM »

Got followed, and got a PM from John Weaver (former McCain/Huntsman/Kasich strategist) The strangest thing is I feel this counts as some sort of celebrity meetings!
May I ask on what did you get followed/receive a PM on, and do you know why?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1570 on: November 23, 2016, 04:20:15 AM »

May I ask on what did you get followed/receive a PM on, and do you know why?

Just on twitter; he only has 20k followers and I followed him back in October. He said messaged me saying thanks for the follow Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1571 on: November 24, 2016, 12:08:02 AM »

Just saw Dylan for the third time. He was very high energy. His voice was better than ever, he played more of the older songs in the same arrangements as we are used to, and he played continuously with no intermission unlike the last two times. The best part is that I got the best seats of any concert I've ever been (in the nosebleeds but smack dab in the middle in a medium sized auditorium) for the cheapest price yet. $150 for the two tickets (not counting the $10 extra for ticket insurance) added an extra sense of awesomeness to the experience.

He performed a lot of Sinatra standards that I didn't hear last time as the new album was still weeks away from release, and they were surprisingly pleasant. I was hoping he'd only play one or two. Now I wish he played more. "Tangled Up In Blue" was performed as always and was particularly solid this time, and the audience gave him a minute long standing ovation for it. When he started playing the harmonica during the song I thought I'd go deaf; the roar was that loud. My only complaint was the performance of "Desolation Row", which he seemed to rush through and at times he somewhat garbled some of the lyrics. That was the only moment of the concert that I didn't enjoy 100%, and even that was still amazing. I was really struck by his performance of "Soon After Midnight," which he played at the previous two concerts (2013 and 2015) but only recently has become one of my favorites by him. His encore of "Stay with Me" brought tears to my eyes.

I didn't go with my friend who I mentioned in the thread. I took my other friend Josh. And I'm glad I did. Thanks for the advice and support Virginia! I'm glad I didn't experience the concert with an unnecessary albatross of guilt weighing me down. Best night I've had in a very long time.

Since this is Atlas, I should note the weight of the election on the audience: I saw a few people in "Finks Trump" shirts and I saw a few people in various Trump gear (the "Les Deplorables" shirt seemed to be a favorite of the Trumpers). Also, some dude I was talking to on the way in mentioned Roger Waters and some old guy in a Grateful Dead shirt started screaming about how Waters is a neo-Nazi creep. I didn't realize the Howard Stern/Roger Waters feud was this well known, but I think public opinion is overwhelmingly against Waters. And it should be, because regardless if he is an anti-Semite or not (he is), he still is a hugely overrated douche. Bobby Zimmerman doesn't make many statements about his faith or politics these days but I can only imagine that he is probably in agreement with me and the King of all Media.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1572 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:31 AM »

FWIW, I love, love, love Dylan's strict no filming/photography rule. Cannot state that enough. Yes, I was a hypocritical asshole and snuck in one quick picture since the Broward Center is staffed by elderly volunteers who enforce the rules, but it was nice to see the audience watching him with their eyes instead of on their phone screens.

I heard at other venues that even the sight of your phone can get you kicked out. That is a bit extreme, but the threat was powerful enough to keep most of the phones down. I've found that at major events like this (or political rallies like the Trump rally I recently attended too), I see more people using their phones to take pictures than I see watching with their own eyes. What is the point of taking pictures to remember the event if you don't allow yourself to fully experience it? That is why I just took one quick picture during his final encore and left it at that.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1573 on: November 24, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »

In 6 hours I will be in Kentucky. Wish me luck.

Then onto Cincinnati for Thanksgiving (hence the avatar)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1574 on: November 24, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »

We just put the turkey in the oven. 

We might also think about the Congressional Cranberry Caucus.  There will be no STUFFING the ballot box, and we won't try to SQUASH the competition, but there will definitely be some GREEN (party) Beans and more than a few CORNy Thanksgiving jokes. 

In a couple of hours, we will Make American Gravy Again. 

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies