How will Sandernistas react once Clinton gets the nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 02:19:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How will Sandernistas react once Clinton gets the nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: -skip-
Take it easily and support Hillary

Angry, but will support Hillary

Foam at the mouth and rage and then vote Stein

Go into a clinical depression and stay home

Riot and begin the Revolution without Bernie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: How will Sandernistas react once Clinton gets the nomination?  (Read 3063 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »

I love how there's no possibility of anyone existing in between "Accept it and vote for Hillary in the end" and "Cry and whine about it for years."

I've accepted Clinton would win the nomination before this race ever began. But I will almost certainly not vote for her because I just don't support her. No crying, whining, or conspiracies necessary.

Do you really think she's just as bad as the Republicans?

No, at least not on all things, I just don't trust her. She's demonstrated terrible judgment in the past on several topics that don't separate her enough from the Right (war, civil liberties) has never been much of a crusader on social issues, always following the wave only after playing centrist to a greater extent than even many other mainstream Democrats (gay marriage, trans rights), and I find her nannyish tendencies and calculating on even such minor issues as videogames (where she followed in Joe Lieberman's footsteps) to be worrying. There is nothing about her career since being an elected politician that makes me respect her, not a single issue where I look at her position at the time and think "Yeah, right on" like there was with Obama, and like there is with Sanders. She's also just plain flip-flopped on an uncountable number of issues, and I think her "I love Wall Street because of 9/11" debate answer may as well have been ripped straight out of the GOP 2004 playbook.

The only legit argument in her favor is "Well, she's not a Republican" and considering the fact that it's unlikely she will ever get anything meaningful passed through Congress anyway, why bother voting for someone I don't like?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2016, 11:31:35 AM by Clarko95 »

Despite the talk of hyper-angry Sanders cult supporters (TBF, there are plenty and they are loud), if you look at the crosstabs from polls being released on the Democratic side (there are links in the NH rolling poll thread), Hillary often has higher favorability ratings amongst Democrats than Sanders (most likely a name recognition thing). Additionally, ~70% of Hillary supporters say they've made up their mind while only 52% of Sanders supporters say the same. Among Hillary and Sanders supporters, the opposing candidate is overwhelmingly viewed in a positive light.

This primary round has been incredibly civil and tame between Hillary and Bernie outside of a few debate spats and Twitter subtweeting wars; totally unlike Hillary vs. Obama in 2008. This last head-to-head debate was profound in constructive debate, issues, and differentiation.

People saying they won't turn out to vote if their guy wins are 1.) not representative of their candidates' supporters, 2.) sore losers: they will turn out to vote, in November, after months of 24/7 coverage of the insanity of the GOP side; we hear this bitterness every election year from both parties, and it never comes to pass, and/or 3.) the kinds of people who don't vote anyways, and it's not like Democrats haven't won without them before (this last one probably applies more to Sanders supporters).

Just like Hillary quickly endorsed Obama and began campaigning for him in 2008, Bernie and Hillary will endorse/campaign for each other when the other wins. They're not stupid nor sore losers.

why bother voting for someone I don't like?

Because the alternatives are the people who are terrifying...?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 11:12:43 AM »

Claim massive fraud.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 11:39:17 AM »

More like how will the Hillbots react to Bernie getting the nomination?

Honestly, that'd be so much better. Berniebots have felt like Clinton would win this whole time, and most of the sane ones haven't got their hopes up. Meanwhile, Hillbots have been nothing but arrogant, constantly talking about how their candidate is 'inevitable'. Honestly, it'd just feel like karma.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »

As a conservative, I hope they vote Stein. However, they'll probably just make a fuss for a minute or two but eventually fall in line.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »

Hillary actually has lesser Favorability than Bernie among Democrats and negative & a horribly bad rating among the general public. Sanders has a very good favorability rating.

And Sanders supporters mind are as much or more made up than Clinton. Those were old numbers you talk about. As his message has spread, those numbers have now touched & crossed Clinton in most places with increase in every polls.

About what Sanders fans will do, I am not sure. I think a large section of the young people would not vote, some would vote to keep the GOP out.

Independents, liberatarians & a very small section of cross-voting Republications would never vote for Clinton.

Progressives & hardcore Democrats would vote. Till now polls show 20% say they would not vote for Clinton.

I think in the end Clinton will end up getting 75% of those votes & 25% would not vote for her.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »

tumblr sandernistas will spin some conspiracy theories but end up being pretty much solidly behind hillary

reddit sandernistas will throw a shıtfit of massive proportions and swear they're voting for trump
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »

Hillary actually has lesser Favorability than Bernie among Democrats and negative & a horribly bad rating among the general public. Sanders has a very good favorability rating.

And Sanders supporters mind are as much or more made up than Clinton. Those were old numbers you talk about. As his message has spread, those numbers have now touched & crossed Clinton in most places with increase in every polls.

About what Sanders fans will do, I am not sure. I think a large section of the young people would not vote, some would vote to keep the GOP out.

Independents, liberatarians & a very small section of cross-voting Republications would never vote for Clinton.

Progressives & hardcore Democrats would vote. Till now polls show 20% say they would not vote for Clinton.

I think in the end Clinton will end up getting 75% of those votes & 25% would not vote for her.

Here's the actual poll from February 4th (which is not "old"), from PPP (a great pollster), that backs up everything I just said. If you've got actual numbers to back up what you say, then feel free to share them Smiley

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_20416.pdf
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »

As a conservative, I hope they vote Stein. However, they'll probably just make a fuss for a minute or two but eventually fall in line.

How dare you have hope that Democratic voters fall into the electoral black hole known as Jill Stein!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 12:30:12 PM »

How dare you have hope that Democratic voters fall into the electoral black hole known as Jill Stein!

A vote for Stein is a vote for Cruz. What can I say?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »

Since they're mostly gun nuts I don't think you can rule out some Bernie Bros attacking a Planned Parenthood or something.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:10 PM »

Since they're mostly gun nuts I don't think you can rule out some Bernie Bros attacking a Planned Parenthood or something.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »

2 or 4.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

They'll be disappointed but they'll have 6-7 months to get over it. A lot of the Sanders supporters we see on the internet (the loudest ones) are in the 18-25 year old age bracket, so this is their first competitive Presidential primary (and it doesn't help that the only other one they can remember is Obama vs. Hillary), and they don't know how to take a primary loss and move on yet. They will though.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »

First of all, it's still an "if". Anything can happen. If she does get the nomination, most of them will support her, as they'll still find her infinitely better than any of the Republicans. A few might actually stay home, but they honestly might've stayed home in the end anyway.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »

I'm sure most regular Sanders supporters would go to support Clinton. However, let's be honest. Would the denizens of r/sandersforpresident switch to Clinton? I'd imagine they'd either start r/steinforpresident or try to begin a Sanders write-in campaign.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »

I'm sure most regular Sanders supporters would go to support Clinton. However, let's be honest. Would the denizens of r/sandersforpresident switch to Clinton? I'd imagine they'd either start r/steinforpresident or try to begin a Sanders write-in campaign.

I could see a fair amount of them voicing anger and insults in public but then shamefully ticking the box for Clinton in the secrecy of the voting booth.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »

At least 95% of the Democrats that refuse to vote for Clinton in the general (if she wins the nomination) are going to be people who weren't going to vote for her to begin with. This isn't a concern.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 01:30:53 PM »

They'll realize that the movement they believe in will continue, and vote for Hillary diligently. It won't end with the next president being elected. They will continue pushing for more rights, for more equality, and will press Hillary heavily to pass a leftist agenda. They might even galvanize the public and prevent what's happened in the last three midterms (when the party opposite the president won huge). If they are smart, they'll put their energies into ensuring a liberal democratic majority in 2018, trying to get as many governor mansions and legislatures as possible to make an equal map for the 2020s in the house. Do what the Tea Party did in 2010 - build on frustrations, do what you can and when you can, and convince as many people as possible that your ideas are valid, even if they are different.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 01:34:31 PM »

They'll realize that the movement they believe in will continue, and vote for Hillary diligently. It won't end with the next president being elected. They will continue pushing for more rights, for more equality, and will press Hillary heavily to pass a leftist agenda. They might even galvanize the public and prevent what's happened in the last three midterms (when the party opposite the president won huge). If they are smart, they'll put their energies into ensuring a liberal democratic majority in 2018, trying to get as many governor mansions and legislatures as possible to make an equal map for the 2020s in the house. Do what the Tea Party did in 2010 - build on frustrations, do what you can and when you can, and convince as many people as possible that your ideas are valid, even if they are different.

I could actually see this happen. Some r/sandersforpresident members have also suggested keeping the subreddit up post-2016 to work on congressional races. Of course, the truly insane Berniebros wouldn't do it, but I doubt that all 150,000 or however many subscribers are truly insane Berniebros.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »

I love how there's no possibility of anyone existing in between "Accept it and vote for Hillary in the end" and "Cry and whine about it for years."

I've accepted Clinton would win the nomination before this race ever began. But I will almost certainly not vote for her because I just don't support her. No crying, whining, or conspiracies necessary.

Do you really think she's just as bad as the Republicans?

No, at least not on all things, I just don't trust her. She's demonstrated terrible judgment in the past on several topics that don't separate her enough from the Right (war, civil liberties) has never been much of a crusader on social issues, always following the wave only after playing centrist to a greater extent than even many other mainstream Democrats (gay marriage, trans rights), and I find her nannyish tendencies and calculating on even such minor issues as videogames (where she followed in Joe Lieberman's footsteps) to be worrying. There is nothing about her career since being an elected politician that makes me respect her, not a single issue where I look at her position at the time and think "Yeah, right on" like there was with Obama, and like there is with Sanders. She's also just plain flip-flopped on an uncountable number of issues, and I think her "I love Wall Street because of 9/11" debate answer may as well have been ripped straight out of the GOP 2004 playbook.

The only legit argument in her favor is "Well, she's not a Republican" and considering the fact that it's unlikely she will ever get anything meaningful passed through Congress anyway, why bother voting for someone I don't like?

Because you live in Ohio (correct me if I'm wrong), and your vote could be the difference between Hillary and a Republican. I'm not saying she's the greatest person ever (I actually agree with most of your criticisms); I'm just saying that voting for her (in the general) is the only way to prevent the Republicans from further destroying the world.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »

The vast majority of Sanders supporters would probably feel like I did when Obama was nominated over Clinton in 2008, which was pretty much holding out hope until the convention that something would come up to dramatically change the dynamic of the race (such as a major scandal), but then generally accepting it after you see your candidate supporting the other on the campaign trail, and realizing that if they can move past it, so can you, especially in the face of a common enemy.

However, the r/sandersforpresident crowd I don't think has any intention to vote for any Democrat other than Bernie Sanders, and I suspect that, like Jefferson County Iowa, just switched their allegiance briefly to vote for Sanders.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »

Option 1, obviously.

Whether he wins or not (and let's face it, he probably won't), Bernie will have accomplished more than anyone ever expected of him, and his campaign will carry a strong legacy in the Democratic Party. There is absolutely no reason to be angry or disappointed.
DS0816
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »

I think Bernie Sanders may just pull this off and, of course, that means that I don't necessarily think Hillary Clinton will win the nomination (or, if she does, she won't do so easily). Months ago, I thought she would carry around 40 caucus and primary states. But, while there has been much stated about a Republican Party divide there is definitely a Democratic Party divide. Under President Obama, the unemployment percentage is terrific. But what has happened is that the wages ("income inequality" needs to be referred to "insufficient income" or something more catchy) aren't keeping up and there is unrest. The Democratic, not the Republican, Party is looking to a major minimum-wage increase. But, even that's not enough. I think the divide in the Democratic Party is between those among the Older Guard (incremental change is progressive) and Newer Guard (not limited to Millenials who want aggressively liberal and transformative policies). It's why Barack Obama's best election was 2008 and he suffered declines in 2010 (the Republican pickup of the U.S. House, six-seat loss in the U.S. Senate), 2012 (reduced re-election support of 3.40 percentage points nationally, 33 electoral votes, and two states plus Nebraska #02), and 2014 (Republican pickup of the U.S. Senate and more Republican gains in the U.S. House). The Democratic Party has not been particularly smart at understanding where the trends are going in their own party. In part, that has happened because the Older Guard are fighting against that because they want their comfort zone of being corporatists, pragmatic [whatevers; they're not liberal] and, rather than delivering on the transformative (the closest was same-sex marriage due to the party's change in a platform), they're content with the transactional (the Affordable Care Act).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »

More like how will the Hillbots react to Bernie getting the nomination?

The same way we reacted to her not running and getting indicted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies